Would you, right now, trade EJ for Tannehill? Chapter 3

FireChan

119 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade EJ for Tanny?

• Yes
    • No

Really? I'm not trying to pick on you but someone needs to add a little context. Last year Tannehill threw for 4,045 yards (that would be the 2nd highest total in Bills franchise history), his 66.4% completion percentage is higher than any player to ever start at least 10 games in a season for the Bills , his 27 TDs would be the second highest total in Bills history and his 92.8 QB rating would rank 3rd in Bills history behind 2 Jim Kelly seasons.

Basically Tannehill's 2014 season was statistically better than any Bills QB in history (I know the game has changed some) but there is "no way" that we would deal a guy battling Matt Cassel for that? What world am I living in?

That % is easier to get when you only throw 5-10 yard patterns. Anything over 10 yards he's terrible.

Bills also play in a place that's much less friendly to the passing game.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. I like Tannehill in a Miami uniform. He already admitted that Buffalo gets in his head. We have his number the majority of the time. I'm comfortable with him as an opponent.

I am too but would you be less comfortable with EJ Manuel as an opponent?

That % is easier to get when you only throw 5-10 yard patterns. Anything over 10 yards he's terrible.

So who did you take in the poll?

Again, fine but there are double digit people that would not trade EJ Manuel for a guy that just put up as good a season as a Bills QB has ever had. Voting no is basically saying, "EJ will have the best season a Bills QB has ever had." If people believe this I don't know what to say; the odds certainly aren't in his favor.

It's fine to like one guy or another but people lose credibility when they participate in polls like this. If people honestly would rather EJ than Tannehill at this juncture I question their football acumen.

Really? I'm not trying to pick on you but someone needs to add a little context. Last year Tannehill threw for 4,045 yards (that would be the 2nd highest total in Bills franchise history), his 66.4% completion percentage is higher than any player to ever start at least 10 games in a season for the Bills, his 27 TDs would be the second highest total in Bills history and his 92.8 QB rating would rank 3rd in Bills history behind 2 Jim Kelly seasons.

Basically Tannehill's 2014 season was statistically better than any Bills QB in history (I know the game has changed some) but there is "no way" that we would deal a guy battling Matt Cassel for that? What world am I living in?

And what the hell make you think that he would have done any of that with the Bills?

It's like you all think QBs play in a bubble.

I am too but would you be less comfortable with EJ Manuel as an opponent?

I have no idea. EJ's been playing against this defense every day. He'll still be a mediocre QB, but maybe he ends up being a bad matchup for Buffalo.

That's the great thing about sports and football. Sometimes a player/team just has your number. Keeps things more unpredictable and exciting. You go in to play a bad team and they suprise you and vice versa.

I'll stick with keeping Tanny in Miami.

So who did you take in the poll?

EJ. My opinion hasn't really changed since the second poll. These still express what I think about it.

KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall, on 14 Mar 2015 - 1:26 PM, said:

No. Is Tannehill better right now? Unquestionably. I want to win the Super Bowl. Playoffs are nice, but if we get there I want to win it all. I don't believe Tannehill is a guy that can do it for you. With Tannehill on our roster this year, I think we'd be a tough out in the playoffs, but a still a team that can't go all the way. I think he's limited. This team would be the best he would ever play on, and I don't think he could get it done. Then we'd have to cut guys to sign him to a huge contract and he'd have to carry them, which I don't think he could do.

I'll keep the unknown in EJ. Knowing that if the light doesn't come on in a big way this year, we'll be looking next year to draft the guy that can carry a team. We'd be able to keep the roster together for longer because we won't be paying a QB who can't get the job done $14m+ a year.

That is where my hesitation comes from. We could still draft a guy, but I think Tanny is just good enough to make us think he's the guy and that we do not need to go after an upgrade. I feel like we'd spend the next 6-10 years getting close to the mountain top without reaching the summit.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

And what the hell make you think that he would have done any of that with the Bills?

People shouldn't forget that Tanny was groomed by the same OC he had in college. He walked into a nice situation and he's certainly done well with his opportunity. I give him credit, but don't downplay his situation. He still has to lead the Dolphins to the playoffs...

I'm extremely confident that he wouldn't be in a QB battle with Matt Cassel. All that we have are the facts and stats to use and it is obvious. If you asked 100 NFL personnel people I could almost guarantee that 100 would take Tannehill.

I'm extremely confident that he wouldn't be in a QB battle with Matt Cassel. All that we have are the facts and stats to use and it is obvious. If you asked 100 NFL personnel people I could almost guarantee that 100 would take Tannehill.

You're confident because...the Bills have a proven track record of developing QBs they draft?

Again...it's like you all think QBs play in a bubble.

So who did you take in the poll then?

I didn't vote for either one in the poll. I voted against the trade.

There is a difference.

You're confident because...the Bills have a proven track record of developing QBs they draft?

I'm not saying that as all but we have their performances to compare them by. I'm not a Tannehill fan for what it's worth but if the Bills can get middle of the league QB play they can win the Super Bowl. He has proven that he can at least play at that level. I don't know why anyone could pick the less productive guy (who is also having a bad offseason so far)? Tannehill would not be locked in a battle with Cassel.

I know that you didn't vote so you probably aren't the right guy for this question. I'm trying to figure out what it is that people prefer in EJ over Tannehill? If he replicated Tannehill's last season we would be building a statute for him. There is less than a 2% chance IMO that EJ equals what Tannehill did last year. He's a likable guy but has not produced at the same rate. Wanting him to be good and believing that he will be good are two different things. I want him to be great but what I've seen tells me that is unlikely.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'll give you credit. You've stuck by your guy all along. You and Bills Fan 4 Life.

I'm willing to accept EJ can't be the guy. I love his work ethic and his athletic gifts, but sometimes that's not enough to overcome other deficiencies. We'll see if anything clicks this year.

I sincerely hope either he or TT step up. The idea of Cassel starting just does not excite at this point.

I didn't vote for either one in the poll. I voted against the trade.

There is a difference.

I suppose if you're arguing that you wouldn't trade Manuel for Tannehill because you wouldn't want to take on his contract and similarly, you wouldn't trade Chris Gragg for Tannehill, then I suppose that is a fair opinion to have. But if anyone really thinks that Manuel is a better QB than Tannehill or there is still a chance that he could be or the reason he's not already is because of how each QB has been "developed" etc., then that is a different conversation. When a guy can't spot wide open receivers when they are a secondary option and sails balls in 7-on-7 drills all summer, that is not a "development" issue. They might just suck. EJ Manuel might still suck if he were drafted by the 49ers and was developed under Bill Walsh and had Jerry Rice to throw to his whole career. This is something you might need to consider.

Also, which Bills QB's since Kelly do you think would have developed into franchise QB under different circumstances? Do you think there's a chance they have just been bad at drafting and/or they have gotten kind of unlucky?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Again, fine but there are double digit people that would not trade EJ Manuel for a guy that just put up as good a season as a Bills QB has ever had. Voting no is basically saying, "EJ will have the best season a Bills QB has ever had." If people believe this I don't know what to say; the odds certainly aren't in his favor.

It's fine to like one guy or another but people lose credibility when they participate in polls like this. If people honestly would rather EJ than Tannehill at this juncture I question their football acumen.

If the question was, "Who is the better QB", then my answer would change. That is not the question.

If the question was, "Who is the better QB", then my answer would change. That is not the question.

Maybe that is the confusion. That's kind of how I am interpreting it. "If the Dolphins called today and said we will give you Tannehill for EJ" would you pull the trigger? I'm not that concerned about his contract, that's the going rate for starters in this league.

Maybe that is the confusion. That's kind of how I am interpreting it. "If the Dolphins called today and said we will give you Tannehill for EJ" would you pull the trigger? I'm not that concerned about his contract, that's the going rate for starters in this league.

I'm not that concerned about either of them.

It's amusing, how emotionally invested some of you are in the QB position.