Pegula's Approval

Ownership  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from not moving the team, how do you rank Pegula's perfomance so far as Bills owner?

2. 2. Aside from not moving the team, how do you rank Pegula's perfomance so far as Sabres owner?

They aren't? What are they relying on in general, and for a goalie in particular?

They traded for Robin Lehner at G, traded for Ryan O'Reilly at C, Evander Kane is healthy, Legwand added as veteran depth at F, and the D is actually decent. Last year's #1 (Reinhart) and this year's (Eichel) are obviously big additions but I hesitate to call them "prospects" because Eichel is clearly NHL-ready and Reinhart got a year in the minors a season ago. There's a chance a couple more prospects could crack the roster but they're not just a bunch of young guys.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They traded for Robin Lehner at G, traded for Ryan O'Reilly at C, Evander Kane is healthy, Legwand added as veteran depth at F, and the D is actually decent. Last year's #1 (Reinhart) and this year's (Eichel) are obviously big additions but I hesitate to call them "prospects" because Eichel is clearly NHL-ready and Reinhart got a year in the minors a season ago. There's a chance a couple more prospects could crack the roster but they're not just a bunch of young guys.

Can't say I'm impressed with Lehner. But if he proves to be much better in Buffalo than he has so far in his career then great. If not, big trouble. Don't like those odds personally, but maybe the new and improved Sabres front office has a gift for spotting goalies. Kane absolutely agree, he should be a great add. The D is actually decent? You and I were watching different teams last season. There were a lot of low scoring games, but teams were getting enormous numbers of shots on goal and the play of the goalie, Enroth mostly, kept the games close. Will Lehner stand up to that? Reinhart was not ready last year. I'd be shocked, based on his play in Buffalo and Rochester, if he was ready this year. Eichel may be ready, but as a rookie you have to assume he won't be. The vet depth you mentioned, meh. But even if everyone you mentioned IS ready to contribute in a meaningful manner, and Lehner somehow magically transforms, in my opinion that STILL is not enough talent to bring a team up to even average that has been so historically bad the past two seasons. They still need at least 3 or 4 more of their prospects to bloom beyond what you mentioned to be even average. I know it hurts, but just think back to last season. In my opinion, if all goes well, they should be watchable this year but still not have a great record. And 3 seasons from now, if everything goes well, then they could have a decent team.

Now the Amerks on the other hand, assuming they stay in Rochester (which apparently is not a given), could well be a fun team to watch with all the prospects developing and Cunneyworth as the head coach. I'm seriously considering picking up a couple seasons for them if they stay in Rochester. The price for watching a prospect team play in Rochester ($555 for 37 games, 100 level center ice! :) ) is far more reasonable than watching a prospect team play in Buffalo.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Good lord, I'm glad Pegula didn't hire some old retread to "oversee" the franchise -- those dinosaurs aren't needed or wanted. Pegula was insightful enough to see quickly that the front office of the Bills was actually in good shape once Marrone quit and he spent time with Whaley and Brandon. Whaley has been around the league for many, many years despite his age, and aside from a couple of swings and misses he has followed up what Buddy Nix started by loading this team with talent. It's not even training camp yet and you'd made your decision the OL will stink and no QB will provide adequate play. You presume that finding a "franchise QB" is as easy as simply saying you'll do it. It's just a defeatist, loser mentality.

As for the Sabres, you clearly have no idea how the NHL works. Pegula gave Regier the rope to hang himself -- which is really what every GM wants. When it was obvious into the 3rd year that the Regier/Ruff combo and their "core" wasn't going to get the job done a specific plan was drawn up to ensure this never happens again. Yes, the last two years were painful, but I repeat, ask any neutral hockey observer what franchise is poised for a great run and the Sabres are in that conversation.

Pegula is so much smarter and understands people more than you give him credit for.

How dare anyone say anything remotely derogatory about your beloved teams, right?

An old retread just might be the answer to helping a new NFL owner comprehend whats involved in owning an NFL team. He intended to hire one, and he would have been smart to do so. Right now the GM in his 3rd year answers to the newbie owner & team president who is a marketing guy, and neither have the expertise in running the football side of operations. Then hiring current Packers GM Ted Thompson away from the Packers and promoting him to team president of football operations which is exactly what an old retread adviser would recommend to help find an elite QB like Aaron Rodgers.

Current GM Doug Whaley is going on his third off season / regular season, and the team still has no defined "franchise" QB and is still fielding a lackluster offensive line. Last years O line was the very worst it has been in years, and an ordinary OG who left in free agency after the 2012 season still hasn't been properly replaced. Or am I wrong? Whaley himself stated this year that the offensive line was "a loss" in an otherwise winning off season for the Bills in free agency. The man clearly needs help in acquiring offensive line players, and in finding / acquiring a franchise QB.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/03/24/whaley-offensive-line-a-loss-in-otherwise-winning-offseason-for-bills/

As for the Sabres, their record says it all as in worst in the league. When Tom Golisano bought back in 2003 the team it was mired in turmoil with the previous owner going to jail, a financial wreck. Yet Golisano managed to get the team straightened out and back into the playoffs by 2005, and one freaking win away from a Stanley cup championship in 2006. Pegula is going into the 6th year of ownership.

The Sabres could have every star player in the league and still suck, lose if they don't have talented coaches. Once they start winning games, and actually making the playoffs then you can say that all the tanking they have done was a success. Sabre fans can start gloating how great they are once they are no longer the worst team in the league.

I love Terry Pegula as an owner, and him keeping the teams in Buffalo. Still, both teams need to make the playoffs before they get top grades from me.

Edited by FeartheLosing

How dare anyone say anything remotely derogatory about your beloved teams, right?

An old retread just might be the answer to helping a new NFL owner comprehend whats involved in owning an NFL team. He intended to hire one, and he would have been smart to do so. Right now the GM in his 3rd year answers to the newbie owner & team president who is a marketing guy, and neither have the expertise in running the football side of operations. Then hiring current Packers GM Ted Thompson away from the Packers and promoting him to team president of football operations which is exactly what an old retread adviser would recommend to help find an elite QB like Aaron Rodgers.

Current GM Doug Whaley is going on his third off season / regular season, and the team still has no defined "franchise" QB and is still fielding a lackluster offensive line. Last years O line was the very worst it has been in years, and an ordinary OG who left in free agency after the 2012 season still hasn't been properly replaced. Or am I wrong? Whaley himself stated this year that the offensive line was "a loss" in an otherwise winning off season for the Bills in free agency. The man clearly needs help in acquiring offensive line players, and in finding / acquiring a franchise QB.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/03/24/whaley-offensive-line-a-loss-in-otherwise-winning-offseason-for-bills/

As for the Sabres, their record says it all as in worst in the league. When Tom Golisano bought back in 2003 the team it was mired in turmoil with the previous owner going to jail, a financial wreck. Yet Golisano managed to get the team straightened out and back into the playoffs by 2005, and one freaking win away from a Stanley cup championship in 2006. Pegula is going into the 6th year of ownership.

The Sabres could have every star player in the league and still suck, lose if they don't have talented coaches. Once they start winning games, and actually making the playoffs then you can say that all the tanking they have done was a success. Sabre fans can start gloating how great they are once they are no longer the worst team in the league.

I love Terry Pegula as an owner, and him keeping the teams in Buffalo. Still, both teams need to make the playoffs before they get top grades from me.

I love you Fear. Always thinking realistic. I mean, why hasn't this happened already? :flirt:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about with respect to the Sabres and the NHL. And I'll leave it at that.

With respect to the Bills, again, you imply that it is "easy" to "find a franchise QB."

I prefer my way of looking at things to yours. Cheers.

The Sabres could have every star player in the league and still suck, lose if they don't have talented coaches.

I do not agree with this at all. And in fact, that is the knock against Bylsma. He had Sid the kid, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Lapierre and so on. The theory is, any competent coach would do well with that Pens roster. Now we will see what Dan can do without a team bursting at the seams with talent.

We need to check this poll after the Bills' first loss!

If you voted for anything other than an A, you are a miserable human being.

I voted B. Mainly because of his limited time at the helm. And the fact that the poll is supposed to exclude keeping the team in Buffalo. If that last stipulation wasn't there, I would agree with you.

Eh....I'm not sure you need a Ted Thompson to pull the trigger when the best player in the draft falls to you at #24. There's a lot of luck in the world and Green Bay absolutely stepped it in when they got Rodgers.

Love hearing on Murph's show tonight that Pegula addressed the team last night. Rex wouldn't specify what he said, but it's great to hear and seemed to go over really well per Rex.

Terry isn't the most electrifying speaker.

I think that for an owner the Pegula's probably relate to the players as well as just about anyone. They are self-made people and have children that are "a little more regular" than most billionaires. They aren't at some boarding school in New England.

The Pegula's eat fast food and are just all together pretty regular people. Do you think that Woody Johnson has ever been through a drive thru? It's just easier for a regular guy to relate to players than it is for the great-grandson of the founder of Johnson & Johnson. I think that it is important when it comes to recruiting both staff and players.

Terry isn't the most electrifying speaker.

No, but he speaks with emotion -- and that means a lot. The players, I'm certain, saw the sincerity with which he has undertaken this enterprise and what the team and city mean to him.

Eh....I'm not sure you need a Ted Thompson to pull the trigger when the best player in the draft falls to you at #24. There's a lot of luck in the world and Green Bay absolutely stepped it in when they got Rodgers.

Luck, really? Don't you think its strange that the first 24 teams had such a urgency at other needs that they chose to pass on arguably the best future QB in the league. Then, when the world was wondering just what the hell was wrong with Thompson in wanting to replace a not yet done elite superstar QB they already had on the Packers roster in QB Brett Favre. That man had the courage of his convictions in knowing that Rodgers would even be able to replace a future hall of fame player with perhaps another future hall of fame player before the guy even took a snap in an NFL regular season game.

Me personally, I highly doubt there was another man on the planet who saw in Rodgers what Ted Thompson saw, and In my view the Buffalo Bills are in desperate need for a man with Thompson's vision of both offensive, defensive future NFL talent. A man like this would certainly help a younger GM better realize his full potential. JMO

Finally, I suppose I'm just a more demanding type of guy who wants to see actual results in terms of playoff appearances before I blissfully agree with everyone else on an A grade. Like I said, I love the man for keeping the teams in Buffalo. However, I'm also hoping the Bills aren't five years down the road from now as the worst team in the league, and anticipating that all those early draft picks will eventually make them a playoff contender.