Watkins: Second year, second chance

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/27/second-year-second-chance-for-watkins/

A player with all of that skill has to be catching 80-plus passes for a thousand-plus yards and 10 or more touchdowns. What else could Watkins be expecting from himself in Year Two?

Winning, playoffs, championship, he says without hesitation. Weve got a great team and great coaches. I mean, theres just no way we shouldnt be in the playoffs or win a championship. I mean, with the team and coaches and staff that we have, and what theyre doing to bring us together, I think that theres no doubt that we should win our division and be in the playoffs. Its a problem if we dont.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Another article, another indictment of the lame Bills coaching staff last year

There’s no dodging the subject. The offseason has been an incredible awakening for Watkins. The difference between what he knows about playing wide receiver now and what he knew at the end of his rookie offseason can be measured in light years.

It’s a testament to new receivers coach Sanjay Lal, of course, but it’s also a major indictment of former Bills receivers coach Rob Moore.

“Now, we’re understanding how to run routes off any press, off any leverage, to where you won’t be covered,” Watkins says. “We were kind of limited last year with certain things. It was, ‘You can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ All” Moore “wanted to do was just tie-in what he knew and what he did in his career and just do that.

And another article with huge endorsement for the job Lal is doing.

It's amazing Sammy accomplished even what he did last year playing through the tough injuries and with no QB or coaching. And this year it's possible his production might be affected by something totally foreign - lots of other weapons in the offense. But he seems to have a great attitude about it. Easy guy to root for.

Edited by stevewin

excuse for what?

1st - I was being a bit sarcastic or were you?

2nd - see the above quote

Now, we’re understanding how to run routes off any press, off any leverage, to where you won’t be covered,” Watkins says. “We were kind of limited last year with certain things. It was, ‘You can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ All” Moore “wanted to do was just tie-in what he knew and what he did in his career and just do that.

imo the last is not a good teaching skill

The other aspect of this article, this team can compete for a championship. It is very similar to what ryan had in his first 2 years with the jets--a top tier D and a mediocre QB. The main differences are 1) more offensive talent overall, 2) the O-line probably won't be as good, and 3) better O-coordinator.

It's going to be a good year.

1st - I was being a bit sarcastic or were you?

2nd - see the above quote

Now, were understanding how to run routes off any press, off any leverage, to where you wont be covered, Watkins says. We were kind of limited last year with certain things. It was, You cant do this, you cant do that. All Moore wanted to do was just tie-in what he knew and what he did in his career and just do that.

imo the last is not a good teaching skill

lol I had a feeling it was sarcasm. I need more coffee.

Another article, another indictment of the lame Bills coaching staff last year

And another article with huge endorsement for the job Lal is doing.

It's amazing Sammy accomplished even what he did last year playing through the tough injuries and with no QB or coaching. And this year it's possible his production might be affected by something totally foreign - lots of other weapons in the offense. But he seems to have a great attitude about it. Easy guy to root for.

Maybe Sammy had a chat with Amari Cooper about Rob Moore after he got drafted by the Raiders, where Moore is the new WR coach: :w00t:

CD8u-49UIAAgszS.jpg

Edited by YoloinOhio

Was he the WR coach two years ago? Didn't they kill us in the air in that 20-27 game?

yes, he was there 2012-2014. But I for one am shocked that he couldn't get TJ Graham and Greg Salas open all the time last year. Edited by YoloinOhio

Article seems pretty harsh towards Sammy's season.

And I don't like that the writer is pinning extra on Watkins based on what the Bills gave up for him, who else they could have drafted, etc. That's a discussion solely about the FO and it should stay there. Watkins should be judged on how good of a WR he is, not how good ODB, Benjamin or Evans is. That's not fair.

I'm happy to hear his hip is healing well as that's been a big concern.

rob looks scared - like holy sh*t I keep getting handed these elite WRs and have no clue what to do with them!!

He'll probably get fired after a year.

20 years later, one of them gets into the HoF and he'll be sat in his rocking chair telling the grandkids how he's completely responsible for it.

Cooper is going to ball out - but I have no faith in Carr. Still, would not surprise me if Cooper had the best career between him, ODB, Evans, and Watkins.

Carr had a talented, big receiver with him at Fresno named Davante Adams. I foresee a similar dynamic between him and Cooper. They could be a quality young duo...