Favorite Sports Teams

Sure it is. I have deep family connections to Toronto in the Original Six days so I inherited the Leafs as my primary hockey team. But as a Western New Yorker, I'll always pull for the Sabres, just not when they play Toronto.

You're the worst. Well, my girlfriend is actually. She roots for University of Texas AND A&M. Even has a custom made jersey of the two teams cut in half.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the worst. Well, my girlfriend is actually. She roots for University of Texas AND A&M. Even has a custom made jersey of the two teams cut in half.

Those "house divided" bumper stickers and flags are pretty popular in my neck of the woods, pertaining to the UNC/Dook and UNC/NC State rivalries.

Yeah. But that's when the husband and wife are each fans of their own seperate team. She likes both.

Yes, I know. I was agreeing with you that it is unusual to support two fierce rivals.

Edited by eball

Hey, I get it. But you can't possibly give me any more sh#t than I already take from my friends.

The perfectly split affinities are cheeseball, though. I would never dare wear a 50/50 jersey or get one of those dumb license plate frames. I don't own a single piece of Sabres gear and never would. To me, that's disrespectful to both the Leafs and Sabres.

For me, it's Leafs first because of my dad and those close ties to Toronto. His Leafs fandom LONG predates the existence of the Sabres. Kind of like the old school Browns fans you find in WNY, dating back to when Cleveland was the closest NFL city.

Sabres are the hometown team though, so I can't not pull for them. Just not as much as I pull for the Leafs.

Edited by jimmy10

Hey, I get it. But you can't possibly give me any more sh#t than I already take from my friends.

The perfectly split affinities are cheeseball, though. I would never dare wear a 50/50 jersey or get one of those dumb license plate frames. I don't own a single piece of Sabres gear and never would. To me, that's disrespectful to both the Leafs and Sabres.

For me, it's Leafs first because of my dad and those close ties to Toronto. His Leafs fandom LONG predates the existence of the Sabres. Kind of like the old school Browns fans you find in WNY, dating back to when Cleveland was the closest NFL city.

Sabres are the hometown team though, so I can't not pull for them. Just not as much as I pull for the Leafs.

As long as you're not one of those disrespectful ass hole Leafs fans that trash our arena and talk **** the whole time.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

As long as you're not one of those disrespectful ass hole Leafs fans that trash our arena and talk **** the whole time.

I use to go to bills and sabres games with a guy that was a bills and leafs fan. Let's just say he wasn't the same person when we were at the hockey game. Didn't mind it but he got into his fair share of pissing contests with other fans.

I use to go to bills and sabres games with a guy that was a bills and leafs fan. Let's just say he wasn't the same person when we were at the hockey game. Didn't mind it but he got into his fair share of pissing contests with other fans.

When I listed my favorite teams, I put the Leafs third for a reason. I'm just not as rabid a hockey fan as I am football and baseball.

When I do talk sh*t, it's on behalf of the Bills mainly, and I've done my fair share at road games. But I try more for the funny than actually instigating anger or violence. Life's too short for that sh*t.

Boca to be specific.

I am down here in Miami. You mentioned the Marlins. I have been planning on going to a game, but have not gone to the new stadium yet for a game (I was there for a non-sports event once). I am looking forward to a day when the team has new ownership.

Edited by Peter

If someone is extremely bored, they should figure out which poster has experienced the most championships as a fan based on their list.

It's a Bills board so maybe better to figure out who's gone the longest without rooting for a championship.

My entry:

Bills

Sabres

ND Football

NY Mets

:wallbash:

I'd hold soccer players in a higher regard in both athleticism and skill over a basketball player.

I guess my point is you can train yourself to score from anywhere, that's a given but how often is a shot blocked in basketball compared to soccer(and/or hockey, a pass in football, etc).

They are gifted at their game, but so are the Harlem globetrotters. Where are the NFL game breakers? Or the NHL slapshots?

And if your answer is that the NHL and NFL have other sub leagues, so does the NBA; it's called the NCAA.

Do you play basketball? And im not being funny. I know from playing high school and college that there is nothing quite like basketball. You do realize the dexterity the body control the ability to process things on the fly. The ability to get to top speed in 2 steps. Have you ever dunked a basketball? B ball players dont run 40 times. But i am willing to bet they have some of the fastest 10 yd dashes. Im not attempting to slay your view but basketball is way WAY more involved than most people understand.

The athletes in soccer are similar but are 6'1" not 6'8". There are some very skilled players as well but if you believe that you can train yourself to score from anywhere you've definitely never played. Finding the space to get a shot off at that level is insanely difficult compared to any other sport. Guys play within an arms length from you which cannot be said for hockey or soccer. In addition in those games the shots are at the ground level. It is easier to get your body in front of something coming from the ground up than from 9 to 10 feet in the air.

The level at which basketball is being played is the reason for the insane leaps in ratings, revenues and growth. About 15 years ago the game was in a terrible place of one-on-one basketball. Since that point the skill level has grown to the highest that it has ever been. This has been done in a time with the biggest, strongest and fastest guys to ever play.

Very well put... not to mention most players play soccer in order to get the footwork necessary to get where there need to be on the court. Used to be ballet and other forms of dance. But now its mainly soccer. And dont forget plyometrics which help no other sport as much as it does basketball.

I've played. Couldn't shot with a damn but could always find someone open that could. I understand your point about blocked shots and shooting. I just think if it was so hard you wouldn't see scores like 110-102. I think for me my problem is more with the game itself than the players.

In hockey or soccer when you get a breakaway you still have a goalie to beat. Granted they aren't often in basketball but it's more than likely two points.

My other gripe is if players are 6'8" they barely need to leave the ground to dunk the ball. When guys are making 60-70% of their shots within 7ft it takes away from the game to me.

Now on the other hand, watching someone light it up from all over the court is something to see. I watched some of the final this past season and was probably the first time in a while it was appealing. (Although it could have been because I wanted lebron to lose ;) )

I dunno. Just doesn't really tickle my fancy I guess.

Lol you know whats funny. I totally get you. But im 6'6" you know how many times i hear if i had your height i would dunk everything. At my height i figure i have to have atleast a 26 inch standing vertical to dunk 1 handed barely. I was not a 1 footfooted jumper... couple that with getting pushed around under the hoop and having to judge another guys timing.... 10 ft high is still way up there and I used to dunk a lot.

Once again didnt mean to pile on or hijack you guys conversation

Do you play basketball? And im not being funny. I know from playing high school and college that there is nothing quite like basketball. You do realize the dexterity the body control the ability to process things on the fly. The ability to get to top speed in 2 steps. Have you ever dunked a basketball? B ball players dont run 40 times. But i am willing to bet they have some of the fastest 10 yd dashes. Im not attempting to slay your view but basketball is way WAY more involved than most people understand.

Very well put... not to mention most players play soccer in order to get the footwork necessary to get where there need to be on the court. Used to be ballet and other forms of dance. But now its mainly soccer. And dont forget plyometrics which help no other sport as much as it does basketball.

Lol you know whats funny. I totally get you. But im 6'6" you know how many times i hear if i had your height i would dunk everything. At my height i figure i have to have atleast a 26 inch standing vertical to dunk 1 handed barely. I was not a 1 footfooted jumper... couple that with getting pushed around under the hoop and having to judge another guys timing.... 10 ft high is still way up there and I used to dunk a lot.

Once again didnt mean to pile on or hijack you guys conversation

No problem. I guess for me it's probably more related to the fact that I will play in a basketball game but don't enjoy it like I do with baseball, hockey, golf, etc.

I am down here in Miami. You mentioned the Marlins. I have been planning on going to a game, but have not gone to the new stadium yet for a game (I was there for a non-sports event once). I am looking forward to a day when the team has new ownership.

Marlins Park is really nice. We go to a few games a year even though they suck. Not holding my breath for a new owner anytime soon. Thought this year they'd have a good team, but they started horrible and stayed horrible.

Marlins Park is really nice. We go to a few games a year even though they suck. Not holding my breath for a new owner anytime soon. Thought this year they'd have a good team, but they started horrible and stayed horrible.

I was actually very unimpressed with Marlins Park. I caught a game whilst in Florida for work a few years ago. As I walked around the stadium, it had a "mall" feeling to it. I shared this sentiment with a former co-worker who'd also been and he said that he had a weird feeling when he walked around, too. He said the "mall" feeling was exactly how he felt.

On a good note, the lit Strasburg up like a Christmas tree (can I say that, or should it be a Holiday Tree?) and Bryce Harper made an error. And I got to have a nice exchange with Jose Reyes (I was wearing my Reyes Mets jersey at the time).