Conservatism is Compassionate

Of course they are. They operate airplanes and trucks, which means they fall under the authority of the FAA and NTSB. They're also a publicly traded company, so they're regulated by the SEC and HHS.

So I guess that means that as a consumer, I'm regulated by the federal government because I spend money that was printed by the government on whatever Fed Ex delivers to me?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess that means that as a consumer, I'm regulated by the federal government because I spend money that was printed by the government on whatever Fed Ex delivers to me?

Not printed. Created. You spend the government's money on stuff the government delivers to you. And if it's a consumer product, it's from the government as well, since they're regulated by the CPSC.

Or a book from Amazon...since books are regulated by the First Amendment.

That's about as far as I can take gatorlogic until I need an aspirin.

Edited by DC Tom

Paul Solman: It’s “federal” as in the Federal Government. But it was set up from the get-go as a compromise between public and private interests. So, the folks who run it are appointed, not elected, and the banking industry, which the Fed regulates, has a hand in picking the members of the regional Fed banks (there are 12 of them).

Wik But elsewhere on the Web (and in print), you’ll find a lot of malarkey about the Fed from conspiracy theorists.

Love that part!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/is-the-federal-reserve-public/

And yet you've failed to prove your point (again) that the Fed is indeed part of the US Government. Can you show any proof to back up your claim? Or are you just going to run away from this debate like every other time you get your ass(hat) handed to you?

First Libor, now this.

This enabled the banks to inflate prices on Treasurys they sold to investors in the pre-auction "when issued" market, and deflate prices when they bought Treasurys to cover their pre-auction sales, violating antitrust laws, according to the complaint.

Primary dealers are the banks authorized to transact directly with theFederal Reserve. They are big players in Treasury bond auctions and act as market makers in the secondary market.

The pension fund said its "expert economists" observed wide gaps between when-issued and auction prices around December 2012, but that these gaps narrowed significantly as the U.S. Department of Justice and other regulators began probing alleged manipulation of the London interbank offered rate, a benchmark used to set interest rates for trillions of dollars worth of loans around the world.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/24/lawsuit-accuses-22-banks-of-manipulating-us-treasury-auctions.html

Hedge Fund tells Puerto Rico: lay off teachers and close schools to pay us back

Billionaire hedge fund managers have called on Puerto Rico to lay off teachers and close schools so that the island can pay them back the billions it owes.

The hedge funds called for Puerto Rico to avoid financial default – and repay its debts – by collecting more taxes, selling $4bn worth of public buildings and drastically cutting public spending, particularly on education.

The group of 34 hedge funds hired former International Monetary Fund (IMF) economists to come up with a solution to Puerto Rico’s debt crisis after the island’s governor declared its $72bn debt “unpayable” – paving the way for bankruptcy.

(SNIP)

It accused the island, where 56% of children live in poverty, of spending too much on education even though the government has already closed down almost 100 schools so far this year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/28/hedge-funds-puerto-rico-close-schools-fire-teachers-pay-us-back

Edited by GreggyT

The next thing you know, banks are going to start throwing people out of their homes when they don't pay their mortgages!

The horror.

<_<

But this is BILLIONAIRE HEDGE FUND MANAGERS. They have no right to demand money they're owed, because they're BILLIONAIRE HEDGE FUND MANAGERS. The government can just tell them to &#33;@#&#036; off, and forgive Puerto Rico's debt, because they're not actual people with actual rights, they're BILLIONAIRE HEDGE FUND MANAGERS.

We learned that from the GM "bankruptcy."