Conservatism is Compassionate

I heard this guy make the very valid point that GWB's "compassionate conservatism" implies conservatism itself is not compassionate, but that's wrong.

Conservative economic policies (free market) have pulled 2 billion people out of poverty over the last few decades. Conservative economics is about freedom and opportunity for all. There's no lack of compassion, just a reluctance to look to the government to dole out "compassion."

People who disagree should read his book with an open mind.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0062319752/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437048976&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=arthur+brooks+conservative+heart

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They couldn't have been that bright. Look how they used to send letters. Dumb asses.

Letter_Luenna_Louvre_AO4238.jpg

Not too bright? The Assyrian Empire started in 2000 BC, and ended...well, probably around mid-September of this year. They're currently fighting ISIS.

Side note: there's actually a word for the study of Assyria. "Assyrology."

Not too bright? The Assyrian Empire started in 2000 BC, and ended...well, probably around mid-September of this year. They're currently fighting ISIS.

That really sounds like a brand of hemorrhoid cream, doesn't it?

Actually that rock is kind of impressive.

Actually that rock is kind of impressive.

I think it's more impressive that the Assyrians are still hanging around, and currently fighting ISIS.

I mean, think about that. You don't hear about the Babylonians and ISIS going at it. Or the Phoenicians, Hittites, Sarmatians, Mitanni, Parthians, etc., fighting ISIS. But the damned Assyrians...they might be hanging on by the merest thread after 4000 years, but damned if they aren't still here.

I heard this guy make the very valid point that GWB's "compassionate conservatism" implies conservatism itself is not compassionate, but that's wrong.

Conservative economic policies (free market) have pulled 2 billion people out of poverty over the last few decades. Conservative economics is about freedom and opportunity for all. There's no lack of compassion, just a reluctance to look to the government to dole out "compassion."

People who disagree should read his book with an open mind.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0062319752/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437048976&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=arthur+brooks+conservative+heart

But we Democrats are for capitalism too. We just also think that the government should spread out the abundance it has helped to create.

I think it's a mistake to look for compassion in any kind of governmental or political philosophy. Compassion is a quality of the individual, existing in the hearts and minds of human beings, and is measured in their actions and they way they treat others.