NFL exec: McCoy over Murray every time

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500927/article/mccoy-over-murray-any-day-one-executive-thinks-so?campaign=Twitter_atn

"I'll take McCoy over Murray every time," a top personnel executive said. "When you played the Eagles, you feared McCoy. He was the guy who scared you the most. When you played Dallas, you didn't fear Murray. He's good. But you didn't fear him. You feared Dez (Bryant), or (Tony) Romo, but not Murray."

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link seems to not be functioning. But I read this story the other day, and was annoyed. Essentially, the author of the article (I don't remember who it was) quotes an anonymous NFL exec who said, "I'll take McCoy over Murray every time," and then proceeds to ridicule the opinion, and explain why it is wrong.

It will be interesting to see how these two RBs fare in their respective new systems.

The writer uses the "less miles" argument, but running like this:

murray-blasts-dl-12292013.gif?w=630&h=35

while it is awesome in it's own way, takes a bigger toll on the body than running like this:

mccoy.gif

Statistically, if Murray keeps up his current average and attempts, and can stay healthy for the next two full seasons, he'll have a little more yards than McCoy after 6 years. But Murray so far is averaging 13.3 games a season, while McCoy is at 15 games per season. I credit the author for taking the injuries into account, but it conflicts with his theory that less miles is automatically a good thing.

Edited by LeGOATski

The writer uses the "less miles" argument, but running like this:

murray-blasts-dl-12292013.gif?w=630&h=35

while it is awesome in it's own way, takes a bigger toll on the body than running like this:

mccoy.gif

Statistically, if Murray keeps up his current average and attempts, and can stay healthy for the next two full seasons, he'll have a little more yards than McCoy after 6 years. But Murray so far is averaging 13.3 games a season, while McCoy is at 15 games per season. I credit the author for taking the injuries into account, but it conflicts with his theory that less miles is automatically a good thing.

No one worried about the "miles" on McCoy until he became a Bill. Then suddenly it was the new narrative.

By November, that comment will have been forgotten.

No one worried about the "miles" on McCoy until he became a Bill. Then suddenly it was the new narrative.

Or he suffers an injury and those people say "see?? I told you so!"

I mean...the simple odds would indicate that he's due for an injury. It's just the nature of the game.

I don't think his body has been beaten down the way some other RBs are, though.

Or he suffers an injury and those people say "see?? I told you so!"

I mean...the simple odds would indicate that he's due for an injury. It's just the nature of the game.

I don't think his body has been beaten down the way some other RBs are, though.

Sure, that will absolutely be the line of thinking if he gets banged up this year. But like you said, it's the nature of the game and Shady's game is one predicated on avoiding the big hit. I think you've made that point well, and it's one people should keep in mind. He's taken less punishment than most work-horse RBs at this stage of their career, and I don't see that changing in this new scheme.

Everyone on the field is one play away from their career ending, regardless of how many ticks there are on their odometers.

looking at Barry Sander's stat line is encouraging for a runner of McCoy's style. Sanders averaged 15 games a season for his first 6 seasons and then didn't miss a single game for his last 4 seasons.

Yeah, it's just one other guy for comparison. Not a definite forecast.

But it probably has to do with becoming a smarter RB with experience combined with the rare ability to avoid hits.

Edited by LeGOATski

i feel like thats stretching it. no one is worried about miles on him week 1 of this year but here or with the eagles a 5 year deal is a big commitment to a guy with a lot of carries. thats not to say hes over the hill, but even you must admit hes had a ton of touches.