Jim Harbaugh interview on Cowherd

ESPN was at it's best when the did the following:

- Repeat over and over the 2 am SportsCenter all morning. This show actually showed highlights of pretty much every professional game (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) and the top 25 College Football and College Basketball games. I believe most sports fans want to see highlights mostly in SC, not 10 minutes of highlights and 50 minutes of "pundits" spewing out their opinions. This would go until around noon if I remember right.

- Off beat sports coverage from like noon till about 3. This is where things like World Strongest Man and NFL films productions would go. Now you could put in things like Poker, emerging professional gaming, etc. as well.

- 3 - 6 - variety of talk shows. Outsides the lines, PTI, Around the Horn, etc would go here. I mean, how good did Up Close used to be? Those were interviews worth watching.

- Dinner time SC - set up for the night of games and updates on news from throughout the day.

- 7-10 or 11 - Live Sports that people care about. The big 4 professional, and the college football and NCAA Mens basketball. Add to that MLS now. There is zero need for any WNBA, woman's college BB, non top 25 mens college sports, etc. Especially not on the main station. One night or two with original programming like the 30 for 30s for example.

- 10 - 11 if not live games, then things like Baseball tonight or a nightly NBA/NHL 30 min show, or NFL (depending on what sports are in season).

- 11 Main SportsCenter of the night with all the highlights.

- 12-2 more sports specific 30 min or hour long programs for whatever is in season

- 2 Final SC of the night to catch up with the West Coast games.

- 3-6am replay whatever live game was on during prime time.

Rinse and repeat daily. This was their recipe for success and now all of their crap programming and rumor spreading and attempts at being controversial have just played themselves out. And add to that the amount of money they would save by not paying all of those SC hosts, ex athlete panelist/hosts, production costs of running "live" all day, etc.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I love Buffalo, but my self-worth isn't tied to the city's image. I completely understand why a guy with a national radio show would worry more about bigger markets. It's no big deal.

I completely understand what you are saying, and I completely understand why Cowherd doesn't talk about a lot of things...where he loses me, he goes on rants why he doesn't talk about small markets. And, he talks about himself way too much...but he isn't really a very interesting person. I think he is pretty terrible as a talk show host. I listen to plenty of national radio guys who rarely, if ever, talk about Buffalo, or things that most Buffalo sports fans are generally interested. If a host is good enough, I can listen to them talk about baseball every hour, though I have little interest in the sport. Cowherd is just condescending, and sounds like he has gone to the Ayn Rand school of broadcasting. He is somebody I could never imagine wanting to "drink" a proverbial beer with.... unless I could smash the bottle over his head after I was done.

I completely understand what you are saying, and I completely understand why Cowherd doesn't talk about a lot of things...where he loses me, he goes on rants why he doesn't talk about small markets. And, he talks about himself way too much...but he isn't really a very interesting person. I think he is pretty terrible as a talk show host. I listen to plenty of national radio guys who rarely, if ever, talk about Buffalo, or things that most Buffalo sports fans are generally interested. If a host is good enough, I can listen to them talk about baseball every hour, though I have little interest in the sport. Cowherd is just condescending, and sounds like he has gone to the Ayn Rand school of broadcasting. He is somebody I could never imagine wanting to "drink" a proverbial beer with.... unless I could smash the bottle over his head after I was done.

Exactly. Condescending is the perfect word for him.

Recently, it came to light that ESPN is shedding viewers at a rapid pace. They have lost 7.2% of their viewership and are getting rid of salary. I thought it was 3 million, but that means about 7.1 million viewers and the prospect of regaining them doesn't look very good. ESPN's contracts with major cable companies has a provision that says if they make an online offering (like HBO Now) then their contract is terminated and the cable companies can offer ESPN ala carte (Cable providers want to dump ESPN because of the high price). A study shows that only 35% of people would keep ESPN if it wasn't forced on them. The money paid to ESPN works out to about $6.50 for every cable subscriber.

In short, ESPN is poised to start losing a lot of revenue. Their contract prevents them from making an online option without losing their cable revenue and the cable companies want to dump the channel(s). They're getting rid of a lot of staff since the writing is on the wall.

Great info - thanks!

Great post. He is such a little weasel and tries to talk down to people. He is that d bag who grows up in a small little town, moves to NYC or LA, and thinks he is cooler because he lives there. Nope, you're the small little weasel you were in that small little town.

I pretty much hate Buffalo sports talk. Not a lot of knowledge people and they have no variety (let's talk about tanking during the NBA playoffs!). So I like ESPN. Mike and Mike are cheesy but a good listen. Really like Rusillo and SVP. Still, podcasts are the way to go. Simmons is an annoying Boston homer but his podcasts were the best.

He musta done something right though, huh?

I understand why people don't like him, and there are plenty cracks in his discourses. But then, he is presenting his opinions for a few hours, 5 days a week, ANYBODY doing that (that actually challenges his audience) will have that problem. Dan Patrick for instance, is a snore, and part of the jock fraternity...he is a square, and never challenges his guests or listeners.

Cowherd gets weaselly sometimes, but his shows have a broader scope than just sports, and he has been successful for a reason. He will continue to be successful.

I don't think Cowherd is very controversial, just opinionated.

If you don't like him, don't listen, but your description of his approach, and your assumptions about me are inaccurate.

The money got to him and his douchiness was his downfall. Made the money left the wife became a workout freak and started banging some young honey now he's holier than thou. We get it Colin winners live in LA, losers live everywhere else.

Have 15 other radio shows/podcasts I'd listen to before I would entertain cowherd as an option. Jmo. Mike and mike are a snooze fest as well. Can we get some less Vanilla company men to talk sometime ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The money got to him and his douchiness was his downfall. Made the money left the wife became a workout freak and started banging some young honey now he's holier than thou. We get it Colin winners live in LA, losers live everywhere else.

Have 15 other radio shows/podcasts I'd listen to before I would entertain cowherd as an option. Jmo. Mike and mike are a snooze fest as well. Can we get some less Vanilla company men to talk sometime ?

the "ESPN carwash" where they parade the same people through every radio and TV show in one day and ask the same questions over and over is one of my least favorite things about the network. Super bowl week is brutal with everyone promoting their products.

This appears to be the rub.

That's not how I interpret his opinions. He says things like "The big coastal cities are where the go-getters move"...and he is right. It's generally true. He covers plenty of universal topics, that have nothing to do with where one lives, but some people just can't get past it.

I think many Buffalo fans are way too sensitive.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I don't think he feels living outside of warm, glamourous cities makes people losers. People go where they have to go for their own best interests. He went to Hartford. It worked for him. The idea is to get to a point where you can go wherever you want to go and no one can tell you that you can't. Either you have the net worth so you can't be denied, or you are a hot commodity on the employment front. For most people, an ideal location that means nice weather year 'round and a nice town with great amenities. I have a brother-in-law who hates warm weather. For him Wisconsin is great. He's in the minority. Most people do like nice, moderate weather and great activities, restaurants, etc. Cowherd usually speaks in terms of recruiting, but it applies there too as kids aren't (always) stupid. It doesn't mean someone who feels differently is wrong or a loser. Given my preferences, I'd do Florida except the hottest months where I'd be on a lake in the mountains. What's wrong with that? I can dream!

I'm not from Buffalo. Your constant calling out of "buffalo people" is pretty tiresome.

Great places to live all over the states. Stick a fork in your man though. He's pretty much toast. At least he has a fan in you.

I'm not from Buffalo. Your constant calling out of "buffalo people" is pretty tiresome.

Great places to live all over the states. Stick a fork in your man though. He's pretty much toast. At least he has a fan in you.

"Constant", huh...I'm wearing you out?

The underdog, chip on their shoulder, talking proud buffalonian is no invention of mine. There is definitely an element of that in play in this conversation.

You don't need to respond to, or even read my posts. Just block me.

Edited by HoF Watkins

This interview was brutal, and I didn't think Jim was bad — I felt bad for him, actually — it was Colin Cowherd who was awful. He was this fast-talking hacky impression of a radio host, and not interested in trying to have a real conversation. I can imagine getting flustered trying to find the words when my brain keeps thinking "this guy is a !@#$ing idiot and I want to hit him."

That "buy" question was so douchey. I also was confused and thought he meant "bye." Colin, we don't all speak dickbag, buddy; can you slow down, use your real voice, and ask actual questions?

If you were to see a parody of an idiot sports radio host, it would literally be Colin Cowherd.

Edited by LA Grant

This appears to be the rub.

That's not how I interpret his opinions. He says things like "The big coastal cities are where the go-getters move"...and he is right. It's generally true. He covers plenty of universal topics, that have nothing to do with where one lives, but some people just can't get past it.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

How does me living in LA make your comment that people from Buffalo are too sensitive any more relevant? Or your assumption that most people on this board are from southtowns?

Right... It doesn't. And that's what my eye roll was for. If you repeat a line long enough, it doesn't make it more true. Just FYI.

How does me living in LA make your comment that people from Buffalo are too sensitive any more relevant? Or your assumption that most people on this board are from southtowns?

Right... It doesn't. And that's what my eye roll was for. If you repeat a line long enough, it doesn't make it more true. Just FYI.

He's just telling it like it is. Thank him for his insights.

No eye roll emoji available on iPhone for insertion.

"Constant", huh...I'm wearing you out?

The underdog, chip on their shoulder, talking proud buffalonian is no invention of mine. There is definitely an element of that in play in this conversation.

You don't need to respond to, or even read my posts. Just block me.

I agree with you on some level (though I would argue, most caller based sports talk shows are pretty unlistenable for more than about 15-20 minutes, and Buffalo fans are hardly the only ones with chips on their shoulders...remember Red Sox fans, before they finally won a championship?), but I think you are missing the larger point.

It doesn't bother me, or most here it seems, that Cowherd thinks we are all !@#$-tards (I don't live in Buffalo any more either!), but is the length he goes to disparage (his words) "cranky old white guy who lives on the east coast, who is miserable because they live in fileds of snow and ice', and to use that to tell his tale of rising up, and disparaging "old school" sports fans who are loyal to their team, and don't suck up to success, as he proudly does.

As you say, obviously, he connects with some people, as he has his fans...I just think he is the worst...hadn't listened to him for about 2 years, and while home on vacation recently, I happened to catch a few minutes of his tv-simulcast...just as grating as ever....

I heard him many times extoll the virtues of being a front-runner sports fans, and say, essentially, if you like a ****ty sports team, you are a glutton for punishment, and miserable. He just represents, I think, the attitude that has turned so many off from ESPN...he is just a big turn off for the network, for me, and I find his attitude pretty much anti everything I have loved about being a sports fan for the last 45+ years.

Edited by Buftex