Rex vs. Luck, Round 2 Discussion

As it is said every year, the opener will be a huge indication of where this team stands. Can we defeat, or at least play competitive football against one of the AFC powerhouses?

With the quarterback situation, coaching changes, and even a few headlining roster changes for Indy (Gore, Johnson), it is difficult to predict the outcome. Vegas has the Colts at (-2.5), which is flattering compared to the line for last year's opener against the Bears. I recall something around (-6.5)?

What I wanted to highlight was Rex vs. Luck, Round 1. The two have only faced off once, in Luck's 5th game of his rookie year (2012). The Jets routed the Colts 35-9 with Sanchez under center. While the Colts weren't playing particularly hot (2-2 going into the game), they did have a good year and ended up in the playoffs. Luck had 7 TDs in the prior four games, recording at least one TD per game. This was his first career game without a passing touchdown.

The Hilton and Johnson duo worry me, but I think we have a shot in this game. GO BILLS!

On paper, that Colts offense seems more well-rounded, but the emphasis will need to be on stopping the passing game. The defense will give Luck a hard time and I think Gilmore can handle Johnson by himself, but hopefully Gore won't make them pay. They also drafted a couple of potential studs in Josh Robinson and Tyler Varga. They could really surprise us with their ground game.

I'm so much more uncertain about this game than I was with the Chicago game last year. I was around 90% sure we would beat Chicago last year. I wasn't worried at all.

Dareus's absence is troubling for me because I dont think Father Time has caught up to Frank Gore yet, and we all saw how poorly the defense fared against the Raiders last year when Mr. Big Stuff was out of the lineup. They were atrocious against both the pass and the rush late in the game because they lacked the additional person in the rotation, wearing them out; not to mention the additional talent in the rotation. That said, Luck is a pick 6 machine, so our defense will have opportunities to take advantage of him.

i see the colts as a team that is all finesse. they are soft like someone above said. the kind of team you punch in the mouth hard enough and they will turtle. there defense will have trouble covering our assortment of speedy receivers but they will have more trouble defending a savage running attack. all that being said....andrew luck is the 4th quarter comeback kid and even if were leading by 14 in the 4th i wont be happy till the clock hits zero.

+2.5 at home isn't really that much more flattering than +6.5 on the road. Don't forget that home field counts for 3 points. So they're saying that on a neutral field the colts are 5.5 better than us and the bears were 3.5 better than us. You can anticipate that spread inching closer to a pick 'em as September approaches. Right now I'd take the bills at +8.5 and whatever the over is in a teaser all day every day. But that's just me.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The pieces they added were luxury position, name players who are over the hill. Did they really need an old WR to compliment their already strong corps, or a tailback who is over the hill to run behind their bad offensive line?

Defense is terrible.

If not for luck they would be a joke. Just goes to show how much an elite qb can mask.

The Colts are soft. That is all.

This. I've been saying it over and over. Luck will get them far as long as he's a the helm, but they are soft. We can take them.

Edited by Big C

The pieces they added were luxury position, name players who are over the hill. Did they really need an old WR to compliment their already strong corps, or a tailback who is over the hill to run behind their bad offensive line?

Defense is terrible.

If not for luck they would be a joke. Just goes to show how much an elite qb can mask.

Couldn't agree more. Player for player the Bills have a much more talented roster. The great equalizer is they have Luck & we don't. Should be a very good game.

Indy went to the playoffs AND improved, we did not got to the playoffs, still don't have a QB, and will be missing our best DL for the game. My expectation is a loss, even if we are an improved team, ourselves.

Indy fatten up in the worst division in the NFL. Andrew the Giant is a flat out stud (with an awful neck beard) but just study what the Pats** do to him. Drop 8 guys in coverage and let Gore try to beat you.

Indy fatten up in the worst division in the NFL. Andrew the Giant is a flat out stud (with an awful neck beard) but just study what the Pats** do to him. Drop 8 guys in coverage and let Gore try to beat you.

True that Indy's record makes them appear better than they are. But they still have been to the playoffs 3 straight and we...haven't

Wasn't implying that the Jets vs Colts result would be a direct correlation to this game. Just bringing it up for a little back drop :rolleyes:

Wasn't implying that the Jets vs Colts result would be a direct correlation to this game. Just bringing it up for a little back drop :rolleyes:

But it's a decent hint at the possible game plan - run it 44 times down weak Colts front and keep ball away from Luck. Establish a lead, use the front 4 to rush and drop everybody back to wait for the INTs

But it's a decent hint at the possible game plan - run it 44 times down weak Colts front and keep ball away from Luck. Establish a lead, use the front 4 to rush and drop everybody back to wait for the INTs

I expect we get a few picks in the first half before Indy settles down. The issue will be if we can capitalize to get in front before Indy adjusts.

If anyone saw the game Indy @ Browns last year, I expect something similar to that. No matter how rattled luck is, he will end up making plays and usually ends up winning in the end. The Browns defense shut them down the entire game (and even stopped the run, which they usually could not do) but could not score themselves, and ultimately lost by I think one point on a last second TD to TY Hilton on a perfect throw, defended by one of the best CBs in the game, Joe Haden. The bills absolutely need to realize they must score TDs not FGs because Luck WILL get his. They must run the ball, control the clock, and keep Luck off the field. I think the game could go either way. I lean toward the Bills because the home field crowd will be insane.

Edited by YoloinOhio