Can the Bills Make the Playoffs with Their QB Situation?

Yes, Oakland... And while I wasn't referring to Carr as a proven commodity, he was good enough to beat our a$$ last season... Now he's got young studs like TE Clive Walford, and WR Amari Cooper backing him up.. It would take the worst coaching staff in the world NOT to improve on their last season's win total....

I don't think we beat the Colts in our season opener, but with Brady out for Massacheatsus in week 2, we should capitalize... if we should somehow manage to knock off NYG, and make it to the bye at say, 5-2, then the KEY would be to get a streak going.. Three or four games including a defeat of MIA after the bye..

Hmm, well, improving on last season's win total - when you're talking about a 3-13 team, not hard to improve. Casting them as a sure-fire playoff team - different matter, not?

Carr did throw some good passes against us, overall I tend to think Orton throwing 3 INTs (one overturned, but all 3 killed our drives) and Janikowski nailing 4 FG including 45 and 49 yds had more to do with beating us. I mean, overall, he's 58% completions, 5.5 YPA, thrown more TDs than Manuel's 16 (24 for Carr) but the same number of INTs - I'm not trying to say EJ's "all that and a bag of chips", but I don't understand the logic that because Carr had a decent day with a couple eye-catching bombs against us, he's "all that and a bag of chips", either.

I will be very disappointed if the Bills don't beat the Colts in the season opener.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills almost made the playoffs with a lesser talented offense quarterbacked by Kyle Orton and coached by Marrone.

The only reason this team might not make the playoffs is due to the schedule makers who didn't do them any favors

I think our schedule is GREAT! I can't think of a better mix of these teams that we play other than maybe Cowboys right after our bye. We have to play all of these teams eventually.

I'm curious what you would prefer?

I find this amusing - Matthew Fairburn at Syracuse.com does the research and gives us this list of crappy QBs who made the playoffs:

Of the dozens of quarterbacks who have started a postseason game since 2000, here are 10 that compare to what the Bills will roll out at quarterback.

Quincy Carter, Dallas Cowboys (2003)
Aaron Brooks, New Orleans Saints (2000)
Chris Simms, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2005)
Tommy Maddox, Pittsburgh Steelers (2002)
Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (2008)
Joe Webb, Minnesota Vikings (2012)
Ryan Lindley, Arizona Cardinals (2014)
Jay Fiedler, Miami Dolphins (2000 and 2001)
Tim Tebow, Denver Broncos (2011)
T.J. Yates, Houston Texans (2011)

Pretty comprehensive, right? I mean, he didn't leave anyone out, did he?

Umm, Matt Cassel, Chiefs, 2010, made the playoffs. That would perhaps be the obvious starting point when looking for comparable QB situations ...

I find this amusing - Matthew Fairburn at Syracuse.com does the research and gives us this list of crappy QBs who made the playoffs:

Pretty comprehensive, right? I mean, he didn't leave anyone out, did he?

Umm, Matt Cassel, Chiefs, 2010, made the playoffs. That would perhaps be the obvious starting point when looking for comparable QB situations ...

I don't see Sanchez. Nice find btw.

Edited by YattaOkasan

Hmm, well, improving on last season's win total - when you're talking about a 3-13 team, not hard to improve. Casting them as a sure-fire playoff team - different matter, not?

Carr did throw some good passes against us, overall I tend to think Orton throwing 3 INTs (one overturned, but all 3 killed our drives) and Janikowski nailing 4 FG including 45 and 49 yds had more to do with beating us. I mean, overall, he's 58% completions, 5.5 YPA, thrown more TDs than Manuel's 16 (24 for Carr) but the same number of INTs - I'm not trying to say EJ's "all that and a bag of chips", but I don't understand the logic that because Carr had a decent day with a couple eye-catching bombs against us, he's "all that and a bag of chips", either.

I will be very disappointed if the Bills don't beat the Colts in the season opener.

"Sure-fire playoff team"??... "All that and a bag of chips"? -All your words, not mine.. Guess we'll see on the former, or the latter... I do expect a "strong push" from certain AFC teams... -Strong enough to make our playoff path complicated if we can't take care of business in our own division...

There is reason for hope, however... Manuel's college chemistry with Nick O'leary was palpable. I look forwad to seeing if it carrries over to the pros.. Le Sean McCoy is a proven commodity at RB.. And Sammy Watkins is still Sammy Watkins.." Hopefully" This OC won't abandon the idea of designed runs for EJ, and offer other ways to take advantage of his mobility...

Rex took a rookie QB who was horrible to the AFC championship game. Then the next year took a horrible QB to the same game. Sanchez in his first two years was as bad as any QB we have. He was HORRIBLE. Rex was also on the Raven staff that went deep in the playoffs with rookie Flacco who was very average, like Cassel average, when he was a rookie. Rex was also on the Ravens staff when they won it with Dilfer.

Roman was the OC on three straight teams that went deep in the playoffs with a guy most of you think totally sucks, and has no pocket presence or accuracy. Did he just lose it after three years? Was he not that good to begin with?

That is seven years our top two guys have coached QB lacking teams deep into the playoffs.

None of those seven teams has the offensive skill players we do. Not even close. We also have good special teams.

He also did it with a great OL/run game. They need Miller and Kouandjio to come through.

Look at Jim Kelly's arm and accuracy.... STILL. suit him up!! He is throwing at his camp today.

https://twitter.com/JonTWCNews/status/615892790103384064

Way to go, Jimbo.

I completely trust our QBs on this team. I'd tell them to just sling it. They have awesome skill position players and the best defense in the league. Let them bail you out. They'll do great things more often than not.

Way to go, Jimbo.

I completely trust our QBs on this team. I'd tell them to just sling it. They have awesome skill position players and the best defense in the league. Let them bail you out. They'll do great things more often than not.

:mellow::cry::blink::(

Yikes, what a horrible game.

FYI: Spiller had 4 carries for -4 yards and 1 fumble: SUPER STAR.

Buffalo had a total of 13 net rushing yards and gave up like 140.

nice game plan against one of the worst teams in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014122110/2014/REG16/bills@raiders?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000447909&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Edited by San-O

Hell no, When the confetti is flying the Bills will be on the couch watching.NOBODY in this league wins without a quarterback.

Look at Jim Kelly's arm and accuracy.... STILL. suit him up!! He is throwing at his camp today.

https://twitter.com/JonTWCNews/status/615892790103384064

Nothing against Jim personally but when you go to the superbowl that many times and cant win at least one,its pretty damning evidence that he wasn't good enough.

I'm honestly expecting 12-14 wins this season. And yes, I am prepared to be possibly wrong, but that's what I think. I believe EJ can be a top 10 QB in this league and I also think Taylor, if he wins the starting job, will astound with some of the plays he makes.

EJ a top 10 QB? NOOOOOOO

Hell no, When the confetti is flying the Bills will be on the couch watching.NOBODY in this league wins without a quarterback.

Nothing against Jim personally but when you go to the superbowl that many times and cant win at least one,its pretty damning evidence that he wasn't good enough.

EJ a top 10 QB? NOOOOOOO

Dude. I know you're a troll and all, and that's cool, but c'mon man. At least try some subtlety for once.

BUT Tim Tebow is a WINNER!!!!

Tim Tebow, Denver Broncos (2011)

mark.gifRon Jaworski predicts the Bills will return to the playoffs
BuffaloBills.com reports: ''Yes, it’s a playoff team to me. The Buffalo Bills will be a playoff team. There will be great energy coming to Western New York once again.'

nice... lets see what he says in 2 months time

Q: What are your thoughts on the quarterback situation?
A: Well, the NFL is about consistent play at the quarterback position and stability. Having the same guy play in and play out, not always about ability, but about availability. Having the guy that can line up under center and give you 16 games of 65-70 snaps a game and not make mistakes.

When you look at this Bills team with Matt Cassel, a veteran guy, I’d give him a little bit a nose lead over EJ Manuel. I think EJ is younger with a better upside, but with this Bills team that is going to play great defense and run the football, you want a quarterback that can control the game at the line of scrimmage. So I’m going to give the edge to Matt Cassel.