QB Competition Not Yielding Promising Results Yet

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't a surprise or worth getting too worked up over. Honestly, this is what we should be expecting to hear. Anything else would be lagniappe (it's a New Orleans word that means a little something extra). The QB play isn't going to great and we shouldn't be expecting it to be. This team is loaded though and pretty good QB play will translate to lots of wins. Hopefully we can get competent play this year, make the playoffs, upgrade next year and compete for a title.

Don't disagree with any of this, but the bolded is what concerns me. We do need "pretty good" QB play and the 2 linked articles suggest that we aren't going to have that. Hence my concern.

The other side of that same coin, though, is that it is still very early. We all know that.

I would like to see one of the QBs emerge as "the guy" in the next couple of months. Someone we can point to and rest our hopes on as being pretty competent at the position. I don't see that guy, at the moment.

So we should bring Orton back?

Haha, no. We won in spite of him sometimes. I look forward to seeing Manuel year 3, or Cassel though, because with such changes to our offense, and new coaching, I don't believe either QB will make our offense as stagnant as it was. If anything it will be slightly better which might push us over the hump this year. We are not doomed.

Edited by What a Tuel

Don't disagree with any of this, but the bolded is what concerns me. We do need "pretty good" QB play and the 2 linked articles suggest that we aren't going to have that. Hence my concern.

The other side of that same coin, though, is that it is still very early. We all know that.

I would like to see one of the QBs emerge as "the guy" in the next couple of months. Someone we can point to and rest our hopes on as being pretty competent at the position. I don't see that guy, at the moment.

I see a competent OC and that gives me hope.

The linked articles which form the foundation of this thread were created within the last 24 hours and were seemingly not being discussed elsewhere on this forum. This discussion is also much more specific than a general OTA thread.

Have a nice day, GG.

Actually, each of those links were provided in the last OTA thread. You also didn't link the QB related posts from Vic, Skurski, Fairburn, Joe B, Rodak, etc.

So you're slacking in that department.

Haha, no. We won in spite of him sometimes. I look forward to seeing Manuel year 3, or Cassel though, because with such changes to our offense, and new coaching, I don't believe either QB will make our offense as stagnant as it was. If anything it will be slightly better which might push us over the hump this year. We are not doomed.

Oh no. We are not doomed. No one is suggesting we are.

The issue at hand is not whether we are doomed. The issue is whether or not we will have a QB on the roster who can get us into the playoffs. That's an entirely different standard.

Sanchez was never as bad as EJ.

It's pretty obvious you have an agenda against EJ. In his rookie year, EJ completed 58% of his passes, for 11 tds (2 rushing), 9 ints, and had a 77.7 qb rating in 10 games.

Sanchez, on a Jets team with the best oline in the NFL and a top 5 defense, completed 53%, 12 tds (3 rushing), 20 ints, and had a 63 rating his rookie year. Despite his awfulness, his team was still good enough to go to the AFC title game. As a matter of fact, EJ has a better career QB rating than Sanchez.

Agenda.

How many NFL teams have a "Lebron" at QB -- a half dozen? This comment is being blown completely out of proportion.

SIX - who are they?

LaBron is leading his team to a title, basically, alone. Name a QB that can win a title with a crappy surrounding cast? Even the great ones (Manning) can't get it done sometimes WITH a good cast! :D

I see a competent OC and that gives me hope.

Having a HC and OC of legitimate NFL pedigree, and not representing one of the weaker football programs in the ACC is a definite improvement, yes.

Actually, each of those links were provided in the last OTA thread. You also didn't link the QB related posts from Vic, Skurski, Fairburn, Joe B, Rodak, etc.

So you're slacking in that department.

Sorry to not live up to your high standards, GG.

I'll strive much harder to improve the quality of my work in the future.

It usually helps with a bunch of lamp posts on topics already beaten to death.

Having a HC and OC of legitimate NFL pedigree, and not representing one of the weaker football programs in the ACC is a definite improvement, yes.

Sorry to not live up to your high standards, GG.

In fairness, Marrone ran a mid term Big East program. They became ACC after he left. :) And he won 2 Pinstripe Bowls!!! They don't just hand those babies out.

Oh no. We are not doomed. No one is suggesting we are.

The issue at hand is not whether we are doomed. The issue is whether or not we will have a QB on the roster who can get us into the playoffs. That's an entirely different standard.

Questioning making the playoffs is on the same level as doomed for me. I expect nothing less this year. Maybe that's dumb of me, but I'd rather wait and watch them play the games.

The point I have been trying to make is that Orton was not exactly a capable QB last year. He played ok for a couple games, but like i have said before we also won in spite of him. Just imagine Orton with a revamped O line, a top 3 rb, a real TE, and a real offensive coordinator, and that doesn't give you hope? It really isn't ALL about the QB. Offensively a lot of it is, but those pieces sure help them out and they didn't have that last year.

I will clarify. If we get the level of QB play that we got last year I think that this team wins 11 games.

It usually helps with a bunch of lamp posts on topics already beaten to death.

Dude, go hug a child. Ask your best friend to make you laugh with a good joke.

Kiss your significant other.

You'll be happier.

In fairness, Marrone ran a mid term Big East program. They became ACC after he left. :) And he won 2 Pinstripe Bowls!!! They don't just hand those babies out.

:lol::lol::lol:

Questioning making the playoffs is on the same level as doomed for me. I expect nothing less this year. Maybe that's dumb of me, but I'd rather wait and watch them play the games.

The point I have been trying to make is that Orton was not exactly a capable QB last year. He played ok for a couple games, but like i have said before we also won in spite of him. Just imagine Orton with a revamped O line, a top 3 rb, a real TE, and a real offensive coordinator, and that doesn't give you hope? It really isn't ALL about the QB. Offensively a lot of it is, but those pieces sure help them out and they didn't have that last year.

I see your point. It is probably fair to suggest that Orton, this year, would be better than he was last year because of the offensive additions you mention.

And really, if Orton could be a game or 2 better, we'd be in the playoffs.

I guess I would just like some assurance of that. I'm likely not going to get it, I realize.

I will clarify. If we get the level of QB play that we got last year I think that this team wins 11 games.

Well that's an interesting assertion.

Thanks for the clarification.

What if he has none of those things?

Now, you're just making him sadder.

Good point.

I see your point. It is probably fair to suggest that Orton, this year, would be better than he was last year because of the offensive additions you mention.

And really, if Orton could be a game or 2 better, we'd be in the playoffs.

I guess I would just like some assurance of that. I'm likely not going to get it, I realize.

Yeah it would be nice to hear better news out of OTA's. On the bright side like others have mentioned, with such a stacked team, we can probably trade up in the draft next year, and take another stab at a QB.

Dude, go hug a child. Ask your best friend to make you laugh with a good joke.

Kiss your significant other.

You'll be happier.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm perfectly happy slapping inane threads, thank you.