U.S. Citizens Traveling Into Canada and Back to U.S.

Gugny

I have a passport, so I'm fine.

My question is re: my 12-year-old son. From my research it looks like children under 15 only need a birth certificate to get into Canada/back into the U.S.

Can someone with experience please confirm/advise?

Thank you.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/travelling-with-children/#.VXmuJvlViko

Children under age 16 may enter the U.S. or Canada using one of the following:

U.S. or Canadian Passport
Original or copy of Birth Certificate
Naturalization Certificate
Canadian Citizenship Card
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:Crossing.The.Border.html

IMO if you take your kid into Canada you get what you deserve. He may never get out. He certainly won't be the same even if he does. Picture the TV show The Walking Dead only in this episode the zombies talk and have even grosser teeth.

IMO if you take your kid into Canada you get what you deserve. He may never get out. He certainly won't be the same even if he does. Picture the TV show The Walking Dead only in this episode the zombies talk and have even grosser teeth.

Oh, did I say my son? Oops.

Hit up the Duty Free on the way back. You will not be disappointed. I just picked up 13 bottles of premium liquor for $202.00 US. Crown Royal was $17/ Litre. As opposed to Premier where it's $37/Litre.

I claimed everything at the border and all he said was, "Have a nice day." I didn't have to pay any duties.

Hit up the Duty Free on the way back. You will not be disappointed. I just picked up 13 bottles of premium liquor for $202.00 US. Crown Royal was $17/ Litre. As opposed to Premier where it's $37/Litre.

I claimed everything at the border and all he said was, "Have a nice day." I didn't have to pay any duties.

Make sure you buy at the duty free on the U.S. side. I made the mistake of traveling across the bridge to the Canadian duty free--and got told coming back that I could only bring two bottles into the U.S. that way. He let me go, but it sounds like it could go either way...

How many times are you going? They will let you in Canada, usually no problem... Just like the old days. Just getting back is the problem and they will read you the riot act. What's the worse that can happen? Not let you back into your own country? LoL... Just say they didn't ask for anything when entering Canada and you pulled into Duty Free prior. Pulling into Duty Free means YOU WILL HAVE TO CROSS. That's what happened to us a few years ago, they let us back in after playing numerous hours in Ontario. (Poor America).

I suggest you only use this method a few times... Or your butt may get searched after a few of these stunts. Really, Canada wants your money... It is getting back that is the issue.

Bringing your kids into Canada stuffed in a duffel bag and locked in the trunk might raise a red flag.

I thought of that ... which is why I have a bin and poked some holes in the top. Give me a little credit.

Make sure you buy at the duty free on the U.S. side. I made the mistake of traveling across the bridge to the Canadian duty free--and got told coming back that I could only bring two bottles into the U.S. that way. He let me go, but it sounds like it could go either way...

I went to the duty free on the Canadian side on my way back and had no problem. You can probably bring 2 bottles back over duty-free, but the other bottles are subject to the duty. They still didn't charge me, probably didn't wanna worry about the paperwork.

"Anything to claim?"

"Yeah, I stopped at the duty-free." <ready to hand over receipt>

"What'd you buy?"

"Just alcohol."

"Have a nice day."

Edited by Wooderson