71 years ago

dib

Considering today's young people, I don't think we could ever do anything close to D-day.

I'm sure folks in the 1930s would have expressed the same sentiment. Courage and sacrifice aren't qualities only found in past generations, no matter what you may think of the current generation.

Considering today's young people, I don't think we could ever do anything close to D-day.

Having just retired after spending 25 years in I beg to differ. I would go back in if I could and there are many brave young men and women that proudly serve. Now a draft would be a whole other situation. I agree on that part, because I could see a lot of running and excuses...

Having just retired after spending 25 years in I beg to differ. I would go back in if I could and there are many brave young men and women that proudly serve. Now a draft would be a whole other situation. I agree on that part, because I could see a lot of running and excuses...

:beer:

For one thing, there would be no element of suprise. For another, given the instant access to video coverage, people wouldn't tolerate the carnage that ensued.

For one thing, there would be no element of suprise. For another, given the instant access to video coverage, people wouldn't tolerate the carnage that ensued.

For a third thing...we wouldn't have to. Warfare has changed drastically since then. No one in their right mind would even fortify a coastline like that nowadays, never mind assault it.

I have been blessed such that I've been able to visit the Omaha Memorial twice in my career. I try to stay in shape; I work out regularly, but I was winded walking to the top of the hill from the beach on what is now an asphalt-covered pathway. It's f-ing steep. I can't imagine the hell that would have ensued while trying to yomp a 50-pound pack up THAT slope with VERY determined people trying to kill me.

I'm not a right-wing flag-draped idiot. But I have to tell you something. Anyone who stands before the field of crosses and Stars of David and is not moved to tears has no business being part of this country. All those dreams washed away. It's unbelievable.

And I guess if anyone's interested (which I doubt), drop me a PM and I'll send you a couple of pictures from my last trip there. A beautiful. haunting place.

You know what's most incredible about the Normandy landings? The day before, TF 51 left Pearl Harbor with the invasion force for Saipan and Guam. All told, about 130,000 embarked - about a division shy of what went ashore in France.

That's right...the US mounted two amphibious invasions, of roughly equal size, half a world apart, within days of each other. Think about that.

You know what's most incredible about the Normandy landings? The day before, TF 51 left Pearl Harbor with the invasion force for Saipan and Guam. All told, about 130,000 embarked - about a division shy of what went ashore in France.

That's right...the US mounted two amphibious invasions, of roughly equal size, half a world apart, within days of each other. Think about that.

I believe that if it wasn't due to bad weather on 6/5, that Normandy would have happened that day, as well.

I'm sure folks in the 1930s would have expressed the same sentiment. Courage and sacrifice aren't qualities only found in past generations, no matter what you may think of the current generation.

agreed, when facing war those who lead the attack rise to the occasion regardless of their upbringing including today's self absorbed slackers.

agreed, when facing war those who lead the attack rise to the occasion regardless of their upbringing including today's self absorbed slackers.

How would you get them to look up from their cellphones?