5 reason Bills won McCoy-Alonso Trade

D improves just because....It almost has to if the OL steps up at all. Keeping the ball longer will improve this team's defensive statistics a lot. McCoy behind Felton will be telling if the OL can hold a block this year. If the OL doesn't pull together, this becomes yet another long season regardless of who wins the QB competition.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D improves just because....It almost has to if the OL steps up at all. Keeping the ball longer will improve this team's defensive statistics a lot. McCoy behind Felton will be telling if the OL can hold a block this year. If the OL doesn't pull together, this becomes yet another long season regardless of who wins the QB competition.

John Madden used to say that it's not the line that makes the RB, but the RB who makes the line. We'll find out if that holds any water this year.

It is very simple concept to grasp:

If CJ approximates the production of Shady and Kiko plays like Kiko - why wouldn't we have been better off not trading Kiko and signing CJ for a similar contract that NO signed him for -- especially given that (as I recall) CJ and Kiko's combined cap hit is less than Shady's and we are still looking for LB depth at a minimum.

CJ is a glass jaw and not a 3 down back, and Kiko's return to form this year is a longshot. You don't recover from multiple ACL's without issues going forward

Obviously we traded for McCoy before free agency so there would be no talk of him coming here But if we had waited we could have easily signed him.

There's no way to know that. There's certainly no way to know the signing would have been easy.

And honestly, if I had to choose between Shady and Murray, give me Shady.

Obviously we traded for McCoy before free agency so there would be no talk of him coming here But if we had waited we could have easily signed him.

Your right

A opportunity presented itself to the bills (which took about 30 minutes to happen or something like that) to get a TOP THREE RUNNING BACK IN THE NFL.......so they hopped all over it.......

The bills have been very agressive of late.....have a 9-7 season to show for it with the arrow pointing up.

Murray has had ONE season where he has been injury free? Shady has shown Thurman Thomas like durability.

There's no way to know that. There's certainly no way to know the signing would have been easy.

And honestly, if I had to choose between Shady and Murray, give me Shady.

There is no way to know that he wouldn't. You guys are just drinking the koolaid, if we had gotten some other back you would think he was the greatest. If we hadn't traded kiko away I doubt most people would be falling all over themselves to get rid of him. RBs are easy to find and trading for a paying huge money for one is foolish. Shady will have a couple good yrs then we will be looking for a new one.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Lots of wasted breath in this thread. Those who over-valued Kiko will continue to insist it was a bad trade for the Bills. In reality the trade has the potential to be very good for both teams.

There is no way to know that he wouldn't. You guys are just drinking the koolaid, if we had gotten some other back you would think he was the greatest. If we hadn't traded kiko away I doubt most people would be falling all over themselves to get rid of him. RBs are easy to find and trading for a paying huge money for one is foolish. Shady will have a couple good yrs then we will be looking for a new one.

The Bills will get three full seasons out of Shady before he turns 29 1/2.

I grant you that there's no way to know for sure that Murray wouldn't have come here. Just like you have to concede there's no way to know for certain that we would have. Right? Why is it drinking Koolaid to point that out, especially when your entire argument rests upon this hypothetical?

The only non-hypothetical element in this discussion is Shady's history. He's a proven commodity, this isn't fans latching onto the next guy in a Bills jersey, McCoy is a multiple all-pro RB in the prime of his career. No one, absolutely no one, argued otherwise until he became a Bill.

We ignore the miles because it does not appear to be an issue.

I think McCoy's decline will depend on how he is used......and if you can get 3 years out of him platoon him with Karlos Williams by next year then Karlos takes more the load we will be fine.

We are in win now mode.

If we have to platoon McCoy next year, why did we trade for him?

-Kim is cheap! They just wanted to hang onto that rookie contract. So much for "win now"

- they were offered an all-pro offensive player and turned it down to keep a guy on defense where we were actually better when he wasn't there? Whaley is a moron. So much for improving the offense.

- whaley only refused to give up Kiko because of his ego. He drafted him, so he needs to look good by not trading him away so soon

- all the Bills care about is PR and selling tickets. Everyone loves the "legend" stuff and they know it, so they don't have the balls to make a move like that. Successful organizations don't care about fan favorites.

-4 more years of CJ for -2. Doomed.

Nailed it.

The emperors new clothes. Seems to me that in a historic free agent year for pro bowl RBs on the open market at a time when RBs are historically undervalued, the Eagles picked up a top tier RB to replace the one they lost while also adding a pro bowl linebacker. Maybe someone can explain to me how giving up Kiko for shady is better than keeping Kiko and adding demarco a North South runner who wee need to set up 3rd?

Murray is a turd first and foremost, why would Dallas an organization that allows all comers dump Murray after a great season behind a young talented offensive line ? I wouldn't take Murray to start with, Kiko doesn't fit the defensive scheme and I can add a all pro running back - done.

Provide the proof he WOULDN"T - there is as much proof either way

The difference is that the argument is people saying that the McCoy trade is bad for us because we could have gotten Murray for nothing and kept Kiko. Even being extraordinarily generous and saying we had a 50/50 chance to land Murray, that still leaves a 50% chance that we don't land Murray.

Regardless of just how better or worse Murray is compared to McCoy, this was a bird in the hand situation. Why risk not getting a first class RB when there is one on the table available for a relatively cheap trade?

That 50% was being extraordinarily generous as I said. Likely the true percentage was closer to 15%. I am finding it difficult to understand how people are making a thing out of this.

See it is crap like this that just kills your arguments.....

It is Koolaid to be happy that the bills have one of the best running backs of the league (and still in his prime on age standards) coming to the Buffalo Bills

Yes this is Kool aid......give me more please

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/03/03/5-reasons-bills-better-mccoy-alonso-trade/

In the last two seasons, Shady has totaled 2,926 rushing yards while averaging 4.6 yards per carry with 14 touchdowns. He’s also racked up 694 receiving yards and two touchdowns. That’s a total of 3,620 all-purpose yards or 1,800 a season, which this struggling Bills offense could certainly use.

I agree. I think Shady will show up and be a force. He wants to prove Chip Kelly wrong and our OC knows how to use a RB. This could be the season with the return of the RB. (Atleast for the Bills anyways...)

It is a pretty common thing to platoon backs to keep everyone healthy.......it wont take away from workhorsing shady

It'd also be smart to if we get any production out of FredEx, Brown, Williams, or Boobie. McCoy is basically guaranteed to be good. FredEx can be productive when healthy but is getting up there. If Brown or Karlos come out on fire, it'd be dumb not to take some of the pressure off of McCoy.