Nick O'Leary has tools to be a big factor in Bills offense

I see O'leary as a solid backup. I think he hauls in 20-30 passes maybe a TD or two. But I can't see him being a big factor year one, nor do I think his long term potential will be a starter. He is a willing blocker and plays a little faster than he was timed. But I think his size and lack of elite speed might keep him from being a starter. But I do think that he could be very good in a tandem role as he is versatile enough to be a contributor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To turn the tide of WHAT

He isnt even the starting TE for this team come game one........he is the 2nd TE in a 2 TE set.

Look....im not slamming you.....but to me this arguement is just confusing....we just gave a huge contract to a top 100 NFL player to play TE for us.....and we took what looks like a really good gamble on a TE late in the draft (which you like)

To me this really is not a lose situation.

The tide I was referring to John, was our nearly two decades-long playoff drought... And while It may not be directly analogous to the ocean, it NEEDS to turn... I lke the two TE sets... I've been calling for them for years. I just think we need that added dimension of a big EZ threat to create mismatches that lead to 6...

His rebuttal, when I pointed out that Dez Bryant lead his team in red zone TDs, was because Jason Witten and DeMarco Muray were on the field. Randell Cobb led the NFL. Oh but they have great QB's. So the good one's are throwing to shorter receivers.

I stand by what I said. -Size matters.... But, when you've got the type of arm talent a guy like Rodgers brings on Sundays, it matters ALOT less. Randall Cobb doesn't do jack squat without the threat of 6'3" Jordy Nelson BURNING your secondary for an 80-yarder, but fine... Igore Nelson and key-in on Cobb. See what happens. :lol:

The tide I was referring to John, was our nearly two decades-long playoff drought... And while It may not be directly analogous to the ocean, it NEEDS to turn... I lke the two TE sets... I've been calling for them for years. I just think we need that added dimension of a big EZ threat to create mismatches that lead to 6...

I stand by what I said. -Size matters.... But, when you've got the type of arm talent a guy like Rodgers brings on Sundays, it matters ALOT less. Randall Cobb doesn't do jack squat without the threat of 6'3" Jordy Nelson BURNING your secondary for an 80-yarder, but fine... Igore Nelson and key-in on Cobb. See what happens. :lol:

I am so confused. Are you saying size matters in the red zone or any where?

If size only matters in the redzone, then your rebuttal should have some more analysis. Did randall cobb score a significant number of TDs from outside the redzone, what type of formations score in the redzone (2 TE's versus 4 WRs)? I am willing to hear your point but I need a bit more.

If you think size matters anywhere, then I need a lot more.

I am so confused. Are you saying size matters in the red zone or any where?

If size only matters in the redzone, then your rebuttal should have some more analysis. Did randall cobb score a significant number of TDs from outside the redzone, what type of formations score in the redzone (2 TE's versus 4 WRs)? I am willing to hear your point but I need a bit more.

Page 3 Post #58... I'm not really a tiresome analysis type of guy.... As for Randall Cobb stats, you'll have to ask the poster who introduced him into the thread...

I see you're a relatively new poster.. I'd just like to inquire on how many Bills games you watched last season, and what some of your general observations were.

Page 3 Post #58... I'm not really a tiresome analysis type of guy.... As for Randall Cobb stats, you'll have to ask the poster who introduced him into the thread...

I see you're a relatively new poster.. I'd just like to inquire on how many Bills games you watched last season, and what some of your general observations were.

14 games last year. I was high on the Orton decision when it was made, but have been convinced by posters on here that we probably should have gone back to EJ. I mean really its all been said before. Monster defense with pretty good players on offense (this year we seem to have upgraded). Trying to get over that ridiculous playoff hump. While my post count may be low that does not mean I don't read (cause in honesty this site has a good interface).

I did really like your point on Martavis Bryant, but I would like to see more than one data point was basically all I was saying.

You can't coach size & speed. We've heard that one a bizillion times. But heard less frequently is that you can't really coach football intelligence. Look at the Sal article about the hopes for Lewis, who just happens to be the latest incarnation of the great tall hope. It's one thing to say that a tall guy will give you a positional mismatch and a totally another is to have that guy actually live up to the hope. More often than not, the size or speed freeks can't apply their physical advantage on the field.

So if all things being equal, you would love to have a 6-6 guy who runs a sub 4.5 with butter hands. But that guy comes around maybe once a decade or so. And when you don't have that guy on the team, filling a roster spot with a super football smart, but a bit undersized guy who is always open and catches everything (at a position with very high drop rates) is a nice security blanket for a middling QB.

You can't coach size & speed. We've heard that one a bizillion times. But heard less frequently is that you can't really coach football intelligence. Look at the Sal article about the hopes for Lewis, who just happens to be the latest incarnation of the great tall hope. It's one thing to say that a tall guy will give you a positional mismatch and a totally another is to have that guy actually live up to the hope. More often than not, the size or speed freeks can't apply their physical advantage on the field.

So if all things being equal, you would love to have a 6-6 guy who runs a sub 4.5 with butter hands. But that guy comes around maybe once a decade or so. And when you don't have that guy on the team, filling a roster spot with a super football smart, but a bit undersized guy who is always open and catches everything (at a position with very high drop rates) is a nice security blanket for a middling QB.

I missed this...did he think Lewis has "football smarts" or not? All the size in the world doesn't matter if the guy doesn't know how to use his body to shield the defender and go up and snatch the ball.

I missed this...did he think Lewis has "football smarts" or not? All the size in the world doesn't matter if the guy doesn't know how to use his body to shield the defender and go up and snatch the ball.

There was an article a couple year ago, can't remember by who, that said weight was more important than height in the red zone for shielding defenders and gaining separation.

Most important for a NFL WR:

Route running

Hands

Ball skills

Size and speed are great but without those other things, they mean nothing. In college guys can look great because they are running wide open or are bigger than everyone else. DB play in college is a joke at times. In the NFL everyone is big and fast. They have to make contested catches and run crisp routes. I think Dez Lewis was drafted lower because of the small school (level of competition). And like many WRs coming out if college he needs polish on route running. But he was projected higher and he does appear to have good hands and ball skills. The Bills could use one guy in the WR to have that size so if shows he can play, I think he makes the team. He's kind of like Kevin Elliot from last year. He looked pretty good in TC but just wasnt consistent enough. Dez will get a chance.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Why do most people believe a QB either has it or not and he cannot improve from year to year? Most offensive linemen and CBs don't really get it until their third year. Good RBs and WRs rarely don't start to produce till their second and third years. Same for Safeties, LBs and DL.

Let's give EJ a chance and reduce the fan pressure. He didn't draft himself in the first round.

The best thing for this team is if he can beat out Cassel and Taylor.