Michael Sam to play football for Montreal in Canada league

Again - no need for the aggressive, condescending tone. I had no problem comprehending your post, and if you had understand mine correctly you would see that its purpose was not to refute your post but to illustrate that generic statements such as the one you made about "grandstanders" can be indirectly rather offensive. I will leave it there. I have said my piece and I fear I have already contributed to this thread going off topic into discussion of things other than football which in reality is all I am on this message board to discuss.

a real gentlemanly response to an aggressive, confrontational retort....I commend you; I'm not sure I could have done the same

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no; after all this "grandstanding" vs. the uber-PC between those sick of all things Michael Sam and those who hope a maybe CFLer pans out, we have the cryptic message from the Alouettes or-gan-eye-zation.....just a matter of time until a "where's Waldo" APB goes out all over TBD & the 'net wondering if and when he will return to Montreal.

Stirring, mesmerizing times indeed.

Coming out before the draft was a huge miscalculation.

You think that really matters? I think Sam is being judged as a ball player only. Unfortunately he's not good enough for the NFL. We'll see if he can cut it in the CFL.

You think that really matters? I think Sam is being judged as a ball player only. Unfortunately he's not good enough for the NFL. We'll see if he can cut it in the CFL.

Is that a serious question?

Even he regrets it. He knows....

Is that a serious question?

Even he regrets it. He knows....

Yes, it's a serious question. He might regret the circus that followed his decision, but are you saying he hasn't been given a fair shot only because he's gay? You think an NFL team would avoid a solid player because of his sexuality?

Yes, it's a serious question. He might regret the circus that followed his decision, but are you saying he hasn't been given a fair shot only because he's gay? You think an NFL team would avoid a solid player because of his sexuality?

No, I didn't say it was "only" because he's gay, but you said he was "only" being judged as a player, which, as a borderline talent (there are likely worse guys on rosters right now), is not a serious argument. His outing certainly worked against him in the NFL. Even he knows this, who are you to disagree with him?

No, I didn't say it was "only" because he's gay, but you said he was "only" being judged as a player, which, as a borderline talent (there are likely worse guys on rosters right now), is not a serious argument. His outing certainly worked against him in the NFL. Even he knows this, who are you to disagree with him?

I totally don't understand your point. Are you saying that there are worse players in the NFL now than Sam because teams don't want a gay player?

I totally don't understand your point. Are you saying that there are worse players in the NFL now than Sam because teams don't want a gay player?

No, that's not what I said. There are players with no more talent than he has who are a roster--there are crappy players on every roster--even in the NFL. No surprise to you.

It affected the impression that teams had of him for certain. If he came into the draft simply as the SEC D player of the year, the bias in his evaluations likely would have been to the positive rather than to the negative. He wasn't awful, yet the same GMs who sign crappy player after crappy player were expecting a performance premium to compensate for taking the first openly gay player.

GMs take chances on marginal players every year. Small (or large) details can sway their thoughts either way. This is hardly a stretch....

Which makes sense. Endure the hassle of the media retards continually asking questions about who stares at who in the shower for a 7th round talent? Forget it. Does anyone think the Dodgers would have promoted Jackie Robinson if he was slow and hit .220?

So he goes down as the first openly gay player to be drafted. Gains him a measure of fame beyond what he would have accomplished on the field. Time to turn the page.

Which makes sense. Endure the hassle of the media retards continually asking questions about who stares at who in the shower for a 7th round talent? Forget it. Does anyone think the Dodgers would have promoted Jackie Robinson if he was slow and hit .220?

So he goes down as the first openly gay player to be drafted. Gains him a measure of fame beyond what he would have accomplished on the field. Time to turn the page.

I'm pretty sure Jackie Robinson was openly black since at least early childhood.

The thing with Sam is if he would have waited to come out, and make a team, make it through camp, and then announced, he's already wanted and he can let everyone know his preference. The problem in his decisions is he radioactive to teams not because he is gay, but because he brings too much of a circus with the media to a team. No one wants the distraction.

I wish him the best and if he makes Montreal's team, or someday an NFL team, great. I don't want him on the Bills only in that we don't need a slow OLB who can only rush the passer and not big enough to stop the run.