Offensive playcalling: what to expect

Over the past two years, the stellar play of the defense has been eclipsed by stagnant, predictable, incompentent offense. Everyone on TBD may have different theories on why the O was bad, but I think we can all agree that it was bad. It is a total cliche, but I blamed the playcalling most of the time; from the moment I saw the hurry-up offense towards the end of the Pats game in the 2013 opener I lost faith (it may have been a premature reaction, but not running the clock out at all when you're up by one in the 4th quarter against tom brady was just disgraceful). Fast forward to the present day and now we got G-Ro (thank you EJ for coining that name) at the helm. I wanted to get an idea of his past, as I don't know much about the 49ers. So I checked out the following message board

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168162-greg-roman-really-good/page270/

predictably, there were a lot of disgruntled fans that had to witness a talented team fall apart at the seams last year. But their gripes reminded me of my own during the Marrone/Hackett era; not utilizing the talents of the skill players, very little in-game adjustments, etc. Although I definitely expect an upgrade from Hackett, it worries me to think that they won't utilize our wideouts enough (we have to get the ball to Sammy, alot), not make the proper adjustments, and not stretch the field vertically enough (this has been a problem for the Bills since Bledsoe was under center). What do you think? Is anyone around here familiar with Greg Roman's playcalling/ in-game adjustment effectiveness? I'm all ears

GO BILLS

in 2014, greg roman's SF offense was ranked:

#9th in rushing attempts

#29th in passing attempts

expect more of the same. Rex has said ground and pound many times, you have two outstanding Fullbacks as lead blockers (sort of a mobile double tight end formation).

We had a lot of "ground" the past two seasons, but not much "pound." There has certainly been a concerted effort to bring in "pound" players, but as I have said other places, the real key to all this will be improvement in the offensive line play.

As for stretching the field and all, I doubt you'll see much of that. Even though we may have one of the better WR cores in the NFL, these four factor speak against much production for them:

1. Lack of a top tier—maybe even less than average—QB to get them the ball.
  2. A head and offensive coach not pre-disposed to a "throwing down the field" philosophy.
  3. Purposely building a team in the off-season to "Ground and Pound."
  4. A great defense that will win you games (this equals => conservative O play calling).

So, to answer your question: "What to expect?" = Nothing exciting. As little as necessary. A lot of running the ball, short dink and dunk passing, and an occasional bomb to try and get one over on the Defense. But in short, pretty much what we've seen the past few years.

I would love to have seen what Chan could do with these offensive toys, he would have had some real fun with them.

Edited by CSBill

Is there a single fan base in the league that is happy with the play calling? Seems like fans from every team have a problem with the play calling or lack of adjustments.

From all I've watched of the 49ers' offense, I don't recall saying how poorly the game was called. Then again, I wasn't emotionally invested to it.

Over the past two years, the stellar play of the defense has been eclipsed by stagnant, predictable, incompentent offense. Everyone on TBD may have different theories on why the O was bad, but I think we can all agree that it was bad. It is a total cliche, but I blamed the playcalling most of the time; from the moment I saw the hurry-up offense towards the end of the Pats game in the 2013 opener I lost faith (it may have been a premature reaction, but not running the clock out at all when you're up by one in the 4th quarter against tom brady was just disgraceful). Fast forward to the present day and now we got G-Ro (thank you EJ for coining that name) at the helm. I wanted to get an idea of his past, as I don't know much about the 49ers. So I checked out the following message board

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168162-greg-roman-really-good/page270/

predictably, there were a lot of disgruntled fans that had to witness a talented team fall apart at the seams last year. But their gripes reminded me of my own during the Marrone/Hackett era; not utilizing the talents of the skill players, very little in-game adjustments, etc. Although I definitely expect an upgrade from Hackett, it worries me to think that they won't utilize our wideouts enough (we have to get the ball to Sammy, alot), not make the proper adjustments, and not stretch the field vertically enough (this has been a problem for the Bills since Bledsoe was under center). What do you think? Is anyone around here familiar with Greg Roman's playcalling/ in-game adjustment effectiveness? I'm all ears

GO BILLS

I expect a lot of power running up the gut, toss sweeps, misdirection (reverses). Play action to TE's down the seam and in the flat on 3rd and short, RB and WR screens, quick slants, quick outs and the occasional shot down field for that big play.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Is there a single fan base in the league that is happy with the play calling? Seems like fans from every team have a problem with the play calling or lack of adjustments.

Fans like to criticize play calls after they have access to the results which is very convenient and often unfair. The OC is an easy target.

With all of the weapons we have I expect a close to balanced attack on offense with Roman riding whatever is working. Outside of the QB position, this is the most talent on offense he has ever had in his stable to build a game plan with. Do I expect us to ride McCoy and the running game for the majority of it all? Yes, but Roman calls plenty of passes as well. Kaep had some big days throwing the ball in that offense.

I expect a lot of power running up the gut, toss sweeps, misdirection (reverses). Play action to TE's down the seam and in the flat on 3rd and short, RB and WR screens, quick slants, quick outs and the occasional shot down field for that big play.

Screens and slants? I seem to remember the Bills using them back in the day. Seems risky. Let's just pile up everybody tight and run into the pile over and over again.

From all I've watched of the 49ers' offense, I don't recall saying how poorly the game was called. Then again, I wasn't emotionally invested to it.

Ive heard people complaining....of course they were not complaining about all those playoff runs

Also note that from 2012-2014 Kap ran for over 1500 yds, 10 TD's at a clip of 6.0 ypc. Read option and scrambling. Depending on who emerges as the starter, one could see more of that than the Orton or Ej run teams of the past 2 years.

TT is every bit as fast and is more elusive than Kap. EJ is also a reasonable run option QB. TT is a legit threat to house a read option run if the seam is there. He can make at least one tackler miss. This is why I think Rex wanted to give him a shot. Dude has a strong arm that only needs a flick so real quick release. If his passing and decision making are as improved as preliminary reports (from Rex and even Bills D players), this IMO is what gives him the edge over the others and will add QB running to the arsenal of choices for this O.