Upcoming 30 for 30 on Bills Super Bowl run in 90s

I didn't see a date yet but this is awesome...

@EricFisherSBJ: Upcoming 30 for 30s - Tyson vs Holyfield, Pete Carroll, the Bills' Super Bowl run of the early '90s

I would expect it to be around the time of the SB. Espn usually plans these to coincide with a related event.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the entire 30 for 30 series. Have never seen a bad one, even if it was about something I wasnt really interested in beforehand.

However, I really dont have much interest in reliving those memories. And if they release it right before the Super Bowl, I definitely wont watch since we'll be playing in this year's SB and I dont want to jinx it!

I love the entire 30 for 30 series. Have never seen a bad one, even if it was about something I wasnt really interested in beforehand.

However, I really dont have much interest in reliving those memories. And if they release it right before the Super Bowl, I definitely wont watch since we'll be playing in this year's SB and I dont want to jinx it!

The original idea of 30 for 30 (or so I thought) was to tell stories that hadn't been widely told or had largely been forgotten. That's part of what makes so many of them so good. Now they're doing stories everyone already knows. The worst example of course is the one they did on the Yankees-Red Sox series (gee, why does the media and especially ESPN ignore that rivalry??).

Of course I'll watch it, but I doubt there's much I'll take away from a rehash of those Bills teams.

Sweet. More football fans need to realize how amazing an accomplish those Bills teams managed. The Eagles were talked about quite a bit for getting to 4 straight NFC Championships. It's like, uh, the friggin Bills did 4 straight SUPERBOWLS!

Edited by ko12010

The original idea of 30 for 30 (or so I thought) was to tell stories that hadn't been widely told or had largely been forgotten. That's part of what makes so many of them so good. Now they're doing stories everyone already knows. The worst example of course is the one they did on the Yankees-Red Sox series (gee, why does the media and especially ESPN ignore that rivalry??).

Of course I'll watch it, but I doubt there's much I'll take away from a rehash of those Bills teams.

If you're in your late 20's or younger, you have little to no recollection of the Bills run. And, nationally, people older than that don't know nearly as much about that team as we do.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It really is hilarious how Rodak *always* has to get in a dig. Like when he wrote about nick oleary at minicamp and how he's famous for not wearing receiver gloves. Then says, "Let's see how long that lasts in buffalo where the weather isn't quite like florida" or something along those lines.

If you're in your late 20's or younger, you have little to no recollection of the Bills run. And, nationally, people older than that don't know nearly as much about that team as we do.

i was in HS and i remember some things but not nearly all of what a lot of you guys talk about (like the players fighting, partying, etc). I was probably just sheltered but the media then was so different than it is today.

I think that team is so interesting that it will make for a great story. They were one of the great teams of all-time and if 1 kick went 3 feet to the left they would be remembered as such. They were knocked down so many times and kept getting up. I think that it is their resiliency that makes them unique. The 90's Bills were interesting on and off the field. They are revered in the community to this day. In addition to that you have all of the trials and tribulations of Kelly and Talley and Biscuit after football. It should make for a really interesting story.

My favorite 30 for 30 is the one about the fraud who bought the Islanders.

That one is really good. My favorite is 2 Escobars.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

They did a 30 for 30 on my alma mater's run to the NCAA basketball championship in 1983 (NC State) and while I was on campus for all the games and followed that event pretty closely I was still fascinated by information during the show. I'll bet it will be pretty touching from the players perspective and of course the fans perspective.

Bill Simmons was one of the biggest drivers of the 30 for 30 idea. Frankly I'm shocked they haven't done one on the Tuck game, the Pats 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Borque.

I have to give 30 for 30 a lot of credit. I agree with you that I can easily pass on some of the recent ventures (I for one care very little about the U- the topic of not only a recent feature but apparently a follow-up). Kudos to them for their recent piece I Hate Christian Laettner. Since I actually have little affinity for Duke (I grew up liking Dean Smith/U/NC/Michael Jordan, I had planned to skip this show. I don't hate Laettner but easily can do without him.

However, buddy of mine was a buddy of the Laettner family so I watched part of it with her. It was great and I tuned into a redo to see the beginning. Even for those who might reject it feeling like its old news, the Laettner piece reminded me that I don't know what I don't know.

Unless you want to claim perfect knowledge of everything, I'd be a little slower about rejecting its stories unseen.

Sweet. More football fans need to realize how amazing an accomplish those Bills teams managed. The Eagles were talked about quite a bit for getting to 4 straight NFC Championships. It's like, uh, the friggin Bills did 4 straight SUPERBOWLS!

Many pundits and players have stated that a team going to four straight Super Bowls may never happen again; it was a significant accomplishment.

I have to give 30 for 30 a lot of credit. I agree with you that I can easily pass on some of the recent ventures (I for one care very little about the U- the topic of not only a recent feature but apparently a follow-up). Kudos to them for their recent piece I Hate Christian Laettner. Since I actually have little affinity for Duke (I grew up liking Dean Smith/U/NC/Michael Jordan, I had planned to skip this show. I don't hate Laettner but easily can do without him.

However, buddy of mine was a buddy of the Laettner family so I watched part of it with her. It was great and I tuned into a redo to see the beginning. Even for those who might reject it feeling like its old news, the Laettner piece reminded me that I don't know what I don't know.

Unless you want to claim perfect knowledge of everything, I'd be a little slower about rejecting its stories unseen.

well said. The Laettner episode was outstanding.

I really think the idea was to get good directors an opportunity to delve into the sports stories worth telling. I think the problem with a lot of sports docs and specials in the past is they've been exclusively produced by sports networks or programs and don't ever have a spec of legitimacy to hold up on their own as a documentary. Bill Simmons started getting real filmmakers involved, and I think that, far more than the forgotten nature of the story, is what has allowed 30 for 30 to remain a well respected series.