Bills have the 2nd worst OL in the NFL according to PFF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....according to PFF and a Reddit user doing some leg work.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/35iyq0/i_used_pff_grades_to_grade_every_ol_in_every/

This is why I love PFF: somehow the Bills' OL, which allowed 85 QB hits and gained 3.7 YPC, is somehow worse than the Colts' OL(which somehow didn't even rank in the bottom 5), which allowed 107 QB hits and gained 3.9 YPC.

Then you've got the Eagles, with 65 QB hits and 4.2 YPC, ranked (apparently) well ahead of Denver and their 42 QB hits with 4.0 YPC.

Now the kicker: figure out how Houston's OL, which is 0.3 YPC and 5 QB hits better than Buffalo, ranks 5th in the NFL, while Buffalo ranks 31st.

This is why I love PFF: somehow the Bills' OL, which allowed 85 QB hits and gained 3.7 YPC, is somehow worse than the Colts' OL(which somehow didn't even rank in the bottom 5), which allowed 107 QB hits and gained 3.9 YPC.

Then you've got the Eagles, with 65 QB hits and 4.2 YPC, ranked (apparently) well ahead of Denver and their 42 QB hits with 4.0 YPC.

Now the kicker: figure out how Houston's OL, which is 0.3 YPC and 5 QB hits better than Buffalo, ranks 5th in the NFL, while Buffalo ranks 31st.

PFF is the Huffington Post of Football Analysis imo

Apparently QB hits and YPC are not the only two things they factor into their grading. For instance, I would imagine a QB's mobility and release time would factor greatly into their QB hits. I would also imagine how good a running back is would factor into his YPC. Like I don't care who is on your OL, Adrian Peterson is gonna have a decent YPC every year. And to that point, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller should be able to average more YPC than Trent Richardson and Daniel Herron. The fact that they didn't does say something I would think.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You'd need to elaborate on that one I think.

I'll give it a shot. PFF are not necessarily football experts -- they are data trackers. They're adding up "points" and drawing conclusions, often without any real context.

The data may certainly be useful (particularly info about personnel on the field, for example) but when you start "ranking" units based upon their grades you see results that are difficult to rationalize, as has been pointed out in this thread.

Semi-reputable, quoted/cited only when their article serves the purpose of an argument, and ultimately contains mostly garbage content. Again, all imo

I thought it was an excellent analogy. Required no explanation here!

Indeed.

Apparently QB hits and YPC are not the only two things they factor into their grading. For instance, I would imagine a QB's mobility and release time would factor greatly into their QB hits. I would also imagine how good a running back is would factor into his YPC. Like I don't care who is on your OL, Adrian Peterson is gonna have a decent YPC every year. And to that point, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller should be able to average more YPC than Trent Richardson and Daniel Herron. The fact that they didn't does say something I would think.

Obviously there are other factors involved...I'm only saying that PFF and the eye-test don't always yield similar results when it comes to line play.

As to Jackson/Spiller, well, I'll give you Freddie making chicken salad, but C.J. has some real issues hitting holes. The All-22s were a real eye-opener with regard to how often he simply misses a crease in the line that would gain 4 or 5 yards if he just used his speed to run straight ahead.

With regard to the QB hits, it's most likely relative to plays run (specifically passing plays run). 107 QB hits out of how many passing plays the Colts run. 85 QB hits out of how many the Bills run.

When you look at stats you don't judge by volume alone.

With regard to the QB hits, it's most likely relative to plays run (specifically passing plays run). 107 QB hits out of how many passing plays the Colts run. 85 QB hits out of how many the Bills run.

When you look at stats you don't judge by volume alone.

I'm not sure why you think I did/do. Further, if you think that supplies the context, why not provide the numbers?

Regardless, if you're interested, here's the breakdown:

Indy - 661 passing attempts + 29 sacks allowed = 690 drop-backs with 107 QB hits, or a QB hit every 6.44 drop-backs.

Buffalo - 579 passing attempts + 39 sacks allowed = 618 drop-backs with 85 QB hits, or a QB hit every 7.27 drop-backs.