College Lacrosse Fans?

College lacrosse fans out there? As round 1 of the tourney starts this weekend, there are going to be 8-10 games televised on ESPNU today and tomorrow. Some really good lacrosse. While I am a Syracuse homer, I am looking forward to Albany v Cornell today at noon. Albany's Lyle Thompson is fun as hell to watch. Native American player who might just be the best ever. Also, Ohio State v Duke at 7:30 will showcase Duke's midfielder, Miles Jones. He's truly a man amongst boys.

Anyone else going to be following?

I never got a chance to play lacrosse and don't really understand all of what's going on, but I watch it regularly. Rugby the same way.

My son plays Dr., and I don't understand it all either. I can tell you 14 years old boys swing the stick instead of using their body way to often.

I grew up in CNY. Played HS lax, and then college lax at the division 3 level. I'm currently coaching HS lax here in Vermont which has been a great experience. Amazing game that has done so much for me in my life.

I think Syracuse has a good chance at winning it all this year, but Notre Dame, UNC, Denver, and Hopkins all have a shot. I'm thinking about driving down to Philly for the national championship game on Memorial Day.

no not interested

Thanks for your contribution.

My son plays Dr., and I don't understand it all either. I can tell you 14 years old boys swing the stick instead of using their body way to often.

My son is about to turn 12. I tried to get him interested in lacrosse, but no dice. When I was in high school only a very few private schools just started playing. Now there are youth clubs and even most public schools have a team. So it's been interesting to watch the sport grow down here. Maybe my grandson will play

Go Orange! Never played lacrosse, but being from Syracuse area I've always had a big appreciation for the game.

I'm from Auburn. Where r u from Pooj?

My son is about to turn 12. I tried to get him interested in lacrosse, but no dice. When I was in high school only a very few private schools just started playing. Now there are youth clubs and even most public schools have a team. So it's been interesting to watch the sport grow down here. Maybe my grandson will play

It's amazing how the game has grown. Here in a tiny Vermont town they start organized lacrosse at age 5. The game has evolved so much since my playing days. A lot less body checking allowed....much safer sport. The great thing about lacrosse is that you don't have to be physically gifted to play in college.

I was born and raised in Liverpool

I have lots of friends from L'Pool. I even dated a girl from there when I was in HS.

Albany shreds Cornell in the upset. Lyle Thompson with 9 points for the Danes. Albany v Notre Dame is going to be interesting. Makes me okay with Cuse drawing the #2 seed.

It has been a really surprising tourney thus far. First, UAlbany with the upset of Cornell, Notre Dame barely escapes a weak Towson team, Ohio State beating Duke was a huge upset. Lots of great games, and now Syracuse plays Marist.

Go Cuse!!

He's only answering your question! B-)

Yeah, I know. Usually when I click on a thread and I'm not interested, however, I just respectfully move on.

GO UAlbany! Beat Cornell like a rented mule and even the goalie got a goal with Blaze going end to end! Like NHL hockey playoffs, I love lax playoffs. Watch Luke Goldstock who played for Niskayuna HS in upstate NY and now plays for UNC. Kid is unbelievable!

Edited by Flutie Flakes

It has been a really surprising tourney thus far. First, UAlbany with the upset of Cornell, Notre Dame barely escapes a weak Towson team, Ohio State beating Duke was a huge upset. Lots of great games, and now Syracuse plays Marist.

Go Cuse!!

Yeah, I know. Usually when I click on a thread and I'm not interested, however, I just respectfully move on.

I'm just joking that you put a ? at the end of your subject line - inviting answers of both kinds.

GO UAlbany! Beat Cornell like a rented mule and even the goalie got a goal with Blaze going end to end! Like NHL hockey playoffs, I love lax playoffs. Watch Luke Goldstock who played for Niskayuna HS in upstate NY and now plays for UNC. Kid is unbelievable!

Goldstock is a hell of an attackman. I think he had like 50 goals this year, right? That line with Bitter and Sankey might be the best attack group in the country.

I'm cheering for UAlbany (my wife's alma), but I don't want Syracuse to see them in the championship game. Lyle Thompson is just on a different level than everyone else in the game today.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Goldstock is a hell of an attackman. I think he had like 50 goals this year, right? That line with Bitter and Sankey might be the best attack group in the country.

I'm cheering for UAlbany (my wife's alma), but I don't want Syracuse to see them in the championship game. Lyle Thompson is just on a different level than everyone else in the game today.

48 goals, top scorer for UNC and you are right about his line at UNC being the best attack group in the country. He is quite a talent. Got to watch him play in high school and knew he would be special. UAlbany needs to make it happen this year!

48 goals, top scorer for UNC and you are right about his line at UNC being the best attack group in the country. He is quite a talent. Got to watch him play in high school and knew he would be special. UAlbany needs to make it happen this year!

10 goals and 6 assists yesterday in the win over Colgate.

Can someone explain to me why no shin pads on the goalie?

Required only in girls US lacrosse and also worn by box lacrosse players in Canada that get decked out in full goalie equipment (similar to hockey). Supposedly, shin pads adversely affect speed and movement in US boys/men's LAX and are never worn at high school or collegiate level.

My son has played since kindergarten and only played goalie as a sub once and even kids at younger levels rarely wear shin guards. He plays box lacrosse in late fall and early spring which is played on an outdoor hockey style paved court with boards and kids will typically wear more goalie style gear including hockey shin pads.

Having been hit by a lacrosse ball before, I don't understand it because it hurts like hell, but then again, kids/adults that play lacrosse goalie are a "very special" breed.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

you have to be on 95 for only a short while with this route

https://goo.gl/Wm5AOb

via I-87 S and I-287 S 3 h 50 min
233 miles
3 h 40 min without traffic · Show traffic
This route has tolls.
Albany, NY
Get on I-787 S from Pine St and Broadway
4 min (1.0 mi)
Head southeast on Washington Ave toward Eagle St
331 ft
Slight left onto Eagle St
174 ft
Turn right onto Pine St
0.2 mi
Turn right onto Broadway
0.1 mi
Slight left to stay on Broadway
0.2 mi
Continue straight to stay on Broadway
217 ft
Turn right to stay on Broadway
0.1 mi
Slight left to merge onto I-787 S toward New York State Thruway
0.2 mi
Follow I-87 S and I-287 S to US-202 S/US-206 S in Bridgewater. Take exit 17 from I-287 S
2 h 25 min (164 mi)
Get on I-95 S in Ewing Township from Trenton Harbourton Rd
44 min (31.6 mi)
Follow I-95 S to PA-611 S/S Broad St in Philadelphia. Take exit 17 from I-95 S
37 min (35.9 mi)
Take S 11th St to your destination
1 min (0.4 mi)
Lincoln Financial Field
1 Lincoln Financial Field Way, Philadelphia, PA 19147

I'm coming down to Philly for the championship game. I hate taking 95. Can anyone suggest an alternate route? I'll be coming down through Albany.

Edited by The Poojer

you have to be on 95 for only a short while with this route

https://goo.gl/Wm5AOb

via I-87 S and I-287 S 3 h 50 min
233 miles
3 h 40 min without traffic · Show traffic
This route has tolls.
Albany, NY
Get on I-787 S from Pine St and Broadway
4 min (1.0 mi)
Head southeast on Washington Ave toward Eagle St
331 ft
Slight left onto Eagle St
174 ft
Turn right onto Pine St
0.2 mi
Turn right onto Broadway
0.1 mi
Slight left to stay on Broadway
0.2 mi
Continue straight to stay on Broadway
217 ft
Turn right to stay on Broadway
0.1 mi
Slight left to merge onto I-787 S toward New York State Thruway
0.2 mi
Follow I-87 S and I-287 S to US-202 S/US-206 S in Bridgewater. Take exit 17 from I-287 S
2 h 25 min (164 mi)
Get on I-95 S in Ewing Township from Trenton Harbourton Rd
44 min (31.6 mi)
Follow I-95 S to PA-611 S/S Broad St in Philadelphia. Take exit 17 from I-95 S
37 min (35.9 mi)
Take S 11th St to your destination
1 min (0.4 mi)
Lincoln Financial Field
1 Lincoln Financial Field Way, Philadelphia, PA 19147

Muchas Gracias!

Speaking of LAX... My son's varsity team is terrible! They lose every game to the tune of like 14-0, 17-2... They really don't get killed, It's basically like watching one team on a PowerPlay! LMAO...

I give him "hope"... Say things like.. 14, 17, 12 isn't much in LAX if you guys could just score... The other team wouldn't be in your end so much! :lol:

Welcome to Bills fandom Junior! :lol:

I wonder who they will give the MVP to next week @ the team banquet? I nominated the goalie! Heck, the team has only scored I think like 10 goals all season... :bag:

Any help? They have a young, YOUNG coach that came back to coach his alma mater... Actually, his team 5-6 years ago was quite GOOD... What went wrong?

EDIT: I know what went wrong. The sport became popular and more people play it now. :bag::doh:

Sorry Pooj, I we were in Philly, would have tried and made it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Oh well...guess I am not spending my weekend at the Linc. Hopkins seemed to want it more today

Yeah, I decided not to trek down after the game today. Tough loss to a good team. Those Stanwick kids can play, and Hopkins' goalie was pretty solid. Almost a miraculous comeback at the end.

BTW, why did Desko pull the goalie there near the end? I thought that was prematurely aggressive.

Help Hammersticks! My son just got home and they lost 17-0... THEY CAN'T SCORE... WTF are they to do? Advice? I told them to just run down the field like mad men! LMAO...

Anyway... They made the playoffs... LMAO, everybody makes the playoffs... Seeded best to worst... When do the Bills join his conference! ;-)

Help Hammersticks! My son just got home and they lost 17-0... THEY CAN'T SCORE... WTF are they to do? Advice? I told them to just run down the field like mad men! LMAO...

Anyway... They made the playoffs... LMAO, everybody makes the playoffs... Seeded best to worst... When do the Bills join his conference! ;-)

Sounds like they need a little help on offense and defense. LOL Believe it or not, the best teams are sound fundamentally and can catch and throw extremely well. If they are not proficient, they must run the ball and the opposing team can key on this guy and force an easy turnover.

I will chime in on the defensive side since I played long stick. Work on their slides and play physical. Defense is more about technique (footwork and playing the body) than it is about stick work. Their slides are similar to the footwork used by an offensive tackle. The side line is their friend and they want to force the middie or attackman outside and keep their body between the guy with the ball and the goalie. Also should work on their pokes, slap checks and stick checks.

My boy was on a team that was undefeated last year and this year they have only won one game as they lost a lot of talent that moved up. $&*# happens, but above all, tell him to have fun and enjoy the game!

Oh yeah, there is a reason why they keep ground ball stats in NCAA play. Ground ball drills (both stationary and moving) are HUGE!

Yeesh....I don't think there is much you can do now. Good luck in the first round of the playoffs. I'm not sure if it's close to you, but I have a friend who coaches at New Trier HS in the north suburbs of Chicago. I've seen his team play a few times, and was shocked at the level of lacrosse that is being played in Illinois. The team that I coach is a mix of football players, hockey players, and wrestlers. Most of them didn't even pick up a lacrosse stick until their freshman or sophomore year. We spent the entire first three weeks of practice doing conditioning and working on fundamentals (i.e., passing and catching, proper ground ball technique, dodging, shooting, and proper defensive technique).

The key is designing your offensive and defensive schemes to capitalize on the strengths of your players. There are only a few players on my team with adequate stick skills, but a whole group of tremendous athletes who are aggressive and can run by people with the ball in their stick.

When I started implementing my offense this year, I taught the kids a basic 2-3-1 triangle motion offense. I also drew up 4-5 plays to run out of that set. Well, I quickly learned that that scheme was too reliant on effective passing and catching. We would get the ball on offense, drop a pass, and the other team would quickly transition leaving our defense winded. The idea is ball/clock control for a team that is lacking stick skills.

I switched to a very simple 2-2-2 offense, put my 2 best attackmen behind goal line extended, an attackman and middie on the crease, and the 2 best midfielders on each line up near the top of the restraining box. Essentially, this scheme is less reliant on passing and catching, and more reliant on a 2 man pick and roll game with dodging, shooting, and feeding the crease. We really try to slow it down and control the clock. It gives the defense rest, and sometimes lulls the opposing defense to sleep. Gradually, I have been introducing some simple plays to run out of the 2-2-2, and the kids are starting to pick up on it.

Stick skills and athleticism are the name of the game in the sport of lacrosse. Most of my guys play wall ball for an hour after school, lift weights, and then meet the captains down on the field for shooting drills. We're not a great team (below .500 record), but we can play with most teams around here with the exception of the prep schools that recruit all over new england. Tell your kid and his friends to get on the wall every day this summer and focus especially on using their off-hand, go to lacrosse camps, and play in summer field/box leagues. The more you play the better you get.

Sounds like the coach might be in a little over his head....

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks