RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right? I don't understand all the hate. He has had a couple nice seasons the past few years. Far from perfect but people jump on him like he should be cut. That is not the case at all

i like him at cb but I would prefer someone else return punts

Leodis, to me, has had a couple solid seasons.

He was very good in 2013, and a bit feast-or-famine last year. Made a lot of plays on the ball, but also got beat quite a bit as well.

Overall, I'm glad we have him on the roster, but it would surprise me if he saw the last year of his deal in 2016.

You have a stud TE......his name is Clay.....followed closely by another stud TE.....his name is O'Leary

And if one of these corners misses time you will thank the stars that Whaley was smart enough to take Darby.

And yes....GIlmore was a huge get

This.

So a thought occurred to me last night that drastically increased my affinity for this pick...

Julian Edelman

The guy had 92 receptions last year, and has a combined 25 receptions in his last 3 games against Buffalo.

I wonder if Rex wanted a corner that could follow him around the field. A guy that could play in the slot without sacrificing run support, stick with Edelman in coverage, and play physical against him 1-on-1.

Sounds like a Rex thing to do.

That would really free up the LBs to spy the backfield, and also allow bracket coverage on Gronk.

I mean, where NE killed Buffalo last year was when they went to max protect and let Brady and his 3 targets pick apart Schwartz's 7-man coverage scheme. Rex isn't going to sit back and let that happen. He'll be aggressive, and he'll force the ball out of Brady's hands quickly. To do that, he needs to make sure that NE's biggest threats--Gronk and Edelman--aren't available as safety valves.

I liked hearing that he was the least tested CB in CFB last year. They don't avoid throwing at you because you suck, and that explains the lack of INTs (although he'll be taught to turn his head around and look for them). I've also heard some people say he's like Antoine Winfield with his tacking and PFF said he only missed 2 tackles last year. If he and Gilmore can approach what Revis and Cro did with the Jets...

I liked hearing that he was the least tested CB in CFB last year. They don't avoid throwing at you because you suck, and that explains the lack of INTs (although he'll be taught to turn his head around and look for them). I've also heard some people say he's like Antoine Winfield with his tacking and PFF said he only missed 2 tackles last year. If he and Gilmore can approach what Revis and Cro did with the Jets...

IMO I dont think he approaches Winfield in his tackling at all.....Winfield will plant you in the turf where it looks like Darby is a willing tackler who will "ankle bite" you into the ground....this is not necessarily a bad thing as aggressive corner tacklers also get injured more...

McKelvin had this same problem and our corners coach helped him work through it.......what I do see from Darby is that great closing speed and the ability to stay in the hip pocket of a receiver.

He is gonna get tested in the NFL because QBs dont want to throw at Gilmore too much.......

@RyanTalbotBills: How Ronald Darby (@realronalddarby) Fits in the #Bills Defense - Buffalo - Scout - #BillsMafia http://t.co/JEcR6TE820

I just hope that this in some way does not send our USC corner packing.......

There is gonna be pressure to get Darby on the field sooner rather then later

more likely Ron Brooks if they can replace him on ST

IMO I dont think he approaches Winfield in his tackling at all.....Winfield will plant you in the turf where it looks like Darby is a willing tackler who will "ankle bite" you into the ground....this is not necessarily a bad thing as aggressive corner tacklers also get injured more...

McKelvin had this same problem and our corners coach helped him work through it.......what I do see from Darby is that great closing speed and the ability to stay in the hip pocket of a receiver.

He is gonna get tested in the NFL because QBs dont want to throw at Gilmore too much.......

this. winfield was a powerful tackler for being small. darby is an effective dragdown tackler.

You know....I know that we dont have Revis on this team......but I def get the feel that we have the most overall QUALITY corner stable in the AFC East

When teams try to spread us out and put our 3rd to 4th corner on the field.....it just feel like we can match that

cb and OL are always the thinnest groups on each NFL team. We are still working on the ol ;) but at least we aren't throwing justin Rogers out there or combing the waiver wire if one of our CBs go down. Lots of teams are forced to do this every season and it really affects the kinds of schemes they are able to run and whether they can blitz. This happened to Rex last year. My guess is he will not let it happen again. Edited by YoloinOhio

Winfield was a great tackler, that's why I thought it was surprising that some people that had watched Darby made the comparison.

cb and OL are always the thinnest groups on each NFL team. We are still working on the ol ;) but at least we aren't throwing justin Rogers out there or combing the waiver wire if one of our CBs go down. Lots of teams are forced to do this every season and it really affects the kinds of schemes they are able to run and whether they can blitz. This happened to Rex last year. My guess is he will not let it happen again.

I thought it was a huge reason for taking him....I mean lets face it Fisher (OT) was ON THE BOARD.......at the time I was really upset we didnt take him because I think he is a player......

but then u step back and try to look at it through the teams eyes....

We have brought in a christmas list of offensive talent....but at the end of the day the identity of this team will be about playing dominant defense......creating turnovers....given field position and the ball back to the offense......

Rex had his D fall apart and become extremely limited because they didnt have the corners they needed with the jets. I think we probably should have all seen this pick coming (I didnt)

Winfield was a great tackler, that's why I thought it was surprising that some people that had watched Darby made the comparison.

I made the comparison based on 2 things: aggressiveness in the run game and ball skills (or relative lack thereof).