Requisite Derby photo of Brady & Pats* w/special guest

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be bad form for Matt to hang these pictures of him and his frat boys in his Bills locker?

Yep. But then again, you know that as well.

I don't have any pictures of former colleagues hanging in my office but I go out for drinks with them all the time...

It's the same reason that 49ers fans were upset when Kaepernick wore a Dolphins hat. It isn't that big of a deal but you shouldn't openly support another team in your league. He isn't supporting anyone. He is going to the Derby with his former coworkers. I do stuff with my former coworkers all of the time. In fact, I watched the draft at my house with one on Thursday.

He also didn't grow up with those guys, play AAU with them, college, the draft process and then in the NFL!! Guys change teams all of the time now. They are funneled through the same camps in high school, the same all-star games, recruited by the sane schools, play in the same conferences, attend the same award shows, train for the draft with the same people, visit the same teams and then enter the league and are often teammates.

This is total commonplace. This happens with all players in all sports. It doesn't mean that they compete any less!!

I'm so fascinated by this line of thinking and interested. I feel like this kind of:

I'd rather have a caveman as the Bills QB who chose not to attend a primadona social bro-fest than a questionable talent who the Bills universe are looking at to lead them to the playoffs for the first time in 16 years . My god, he used to hold the clipboard for the absolute, unquestioned sworn enemy of the state. They were teammates in the NFL for a few years...one of them played, the other admired. Screw Cassel for doing this I say! Bad form.

He just totally embarrassed himself. He tweeted Thurman to come on the show and talk about it, evidently thinking Thurman would agree with him about Cassell being a non-competitive traitor. Thurman then tweeted pic of him with Cassel, at the Derby.

Thurman Thomas ‏@thurmanthomas 13m13 minutes ago

CD9EJCiUgAAiss1.jpg

So #OneBuffalo you just didn't give me a chance. #kyderby here's Matt

Cassell looks ill in this photo. I hope he hits the gym and puts on some weight or he isn't gonna make it through the season if he starts.

I'd rather have a caveman as the Bills QB who chose not to attend a primadona social bro-fest than a questionable talent who the Bills universe are looking at to lead them to the playoffs for the first time in 16 years . My god, he used to hold the clipboard for the absolute, unquestioned sworn enemy of the state. They were teammates in the NFL for a few years...one of them played, the other admired. Screw Cassel for doing this I say! Bad form.

So we don't like Cassel because he is a bad QB or because he went to the Derby with his friends? If you think that he is bad by all means there are plenty of threads to say your piece on the QB competition. If you think that, because he went to the Derby, with his friends that he vacations with, I don't know what to tell you. It is commonplace in sports and will always be this way moving forward. From my experience in sports it happens all of the time. I cannot tell you the number of times that players from opposing teams went out with our players after games. It was literally every single weekend game if they weren't traveling and most week nights (again if they weren't traveling).

In the age of specialization these guys start playing together and competing as early as about age 10 (in some cases earlier). LeBron James son is already being recruited and he is 10. The kids that he is playing with in AAU tournaments around the country are the same guys that he will be playing against (and with) all the way through the pros (should they make it). So in 17 years, this kid should all of a sudden hate one of these guys because they are on a rival team? This is a bit of an extreme example but it illustrates my point well. There is a photo circulating of a 13 year old CP3 with rookie of the year Tim Duncan as another example.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 Bills Fan,

When Cassel wins the starting job and takes us to the playoffs this year, this photo will be the last thing on your mind. Take a chill pill and enjoy the ride.

What if Cassel throws 4 interceptions vs the Patriots week 2 just like he did in his last start for the Vikings? You think that this photo won't be brought up?...LOL

I'll tell you this, if Matt Cassel does win the job and sucks vs the Pats this Patriots party photo will grease the skids for EJ Manuel to become the starter real quick because I'm sure that there are many Bills players on the team that didn't like that he was so publicly chummy with his Superbowl champion Patriots buddies instead of getting to know his new Buffalo team mates. Also, the fans will think that Cassel either purposely or subconsciously threw the game and won't trust him anymore as the starting QB. He certainly doesn't look like a leader for the Bills by going on this trip. In fact, he looks more like a follower in the cult of Tom Brady in that photo. You can laugh at my take all you want, but if Cassel sucks vs the Pats you can stick a fork in him because he's done in Buffalo.

As for your prediction, it might be on shaky ground because it appears the coaches think EJ Manuel will win the starting job given how many Florida State players they just drafted.

What if Cassel throws 4 interceptions vs the Patriots week 2 just like he did in his last start for the Vikings? You think that this photo won't be brought up?...LOL

I'll tell you this, if Matt Cassel does win the job and sucks vs the Pats this Patriots party photo will grease the skids for EJ Manuel to become the starter real quick because I'm sure that there are many Bills players on the team that didn't like that he was so publicly chummy with his Superbowl champion Patriots buddies instead of getting to know his new Buffalo team mates. Also, the fans will think that Cassel either purposely or subconsciously threw the game and won't trust him anymore as the starting QB. He certainly doesn't look like a leader for the Bills by going on this trip. In fact, he looks more like a follower in the cult of Tom Brady in that photo. You can laugh at my take all you want, but if Cassel sucks vs the Pats you can stick a fork in him because he's done in Buffalo.

As for your prediction, it might be on shaky ground because it appears the coaches think EJ Manuel will win the starting job given how many Florida State players they just drafted.

You are still missing it. If he throws 4 picks vs. the Pats it isn't because he is friends with Tom Brady. It is because he isn't a very good QB. It's the same situation if he throws 4 INTs against Houston or Cincy or Washington. No guy in a contract year is going to try to play poorly!!!!

His off the field relationships do not factor into the QB competition or his performance or how he is viewed in the locker room. It will be based 100% on his play, EJ's play and Tyrod's play.

Certain factions of the fan base are looking for that "a ha, got you moment" to solve the QB battle. I know a lot of people want the younger guys to win the job so they are grasping at straws with things like this photo. Trust me, this will not factor in at all in the locker room or with the coaches. The best guy will play opening day. I personally could care less who that is.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You are still missing it. If he throws 4 picks vs. the Pats it isn't because he is friends with Tom Brady. It is because he isn't a very good QB. It's the same situation if he throws 4 INTs against Houston or Cincy or Washington. No guy in a contract year is going to try to play poorly!!!!

His off the field relationships do not factor into the QB competition or his performance or how he is viewed in the locker room. It will be based 100% on his play, EJ's play and Tyrod's play.

Certain factions of the fan base are looking for that "a ha, got you moment" to solve the QB battle. I know a lot of people want the younger guys to win the job so they are grasping at straws with things like this photo. Trust me, this will not factor in at all in the locker room or with the coaches. The best guy will play opening day. I personally could care less who that is.

Human’s don’t work that way. Every member of the Bills team now has the image of Cassel arm in arm with their enemies (I use the term enemies in the sports sense, not literally). If nothing else, Cassel has given himself a shorter leash with the Bills players and fans. In a perfect world Cassel should be able to go on a trip with friends with no repercussions, but having the visual of a photo of Cassel arm in arm with the world champ Patriots with Tommy boy in the middle looking like he’s “the king of the world” hurts him at the very least, a little bit.

You and Bills officials like Doug Whaley can downplay it all you want, but IMO Cassel screwed up going on that trip. I’m almost 100% positive he’s lost some respect among the players on the Bills team. I’m sure that Rex wasn’t too happy about it either. Yes, they will laugh it off when asked about it but that’s because they want the public to think they don’t care.

Humans dont work that way. Every member of the Bills team now has the image of Cassel arm in arm with their enemies (I use the term enemies in the sports sense, not literally). If nothing else, Cassel has given himself a shorter leash with the Bills players and fans. In a perfect world Cassel should be able to go on a trip with friends with no repercussions, but having the visual of a photo of Cassel arm in arm with the world champ Patriots with Tommy boy in the middle looking like hes the king of the world hurts him at the very least, a little bit.

You and Bills officials like Doug Whaley can downplay it all you want, but IMO Cassel screwed up going on that trip. Im almost 100% positive hes lost some respect among the players on the Bills team. Im sure that Rex wasnt too happy about it either. Yes, they will laugh it off when asked about it but thats because they want the public to think they dont care.

they actually asked whaley about this on WGR yesterday morning. He said he didn't hear about the pic but said he is sure the players will give him some good natured ribbing. Otherwise, "friendships" end once they step on the field. Edited by YoloinOhio