Was the trade for Watkins worth it?

Luxy312

I think there is a myth out there that good QB's don't need good WR's. There is something to be said about your QB making your WR's better but decent QB's also tend to suffer without good WR's. Any QB is better with Sammy Watkins out there than without.

Bills fans seem to have ADD when talking about QB's. They give up and move on to the next prospect as soon as the current one doesn't pass the eye test. The Bills are setting up their "project" QB's to succeed even though you already gave up on them. Until a better QB avails himself, this is exactly what they should be doing. They are also certainly keeping their eyes open for another QB.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never trade a 1st round pick to move up for anything other than a QB. In hindsight it looks like there were enough premier receivers available last draft to get one of them and have a 1st round pick this year.

The Bills are in great shape...for 2016. I'm happy about that, but having to sit through another year of shaky QB play is frustrating. People with high expectations for this year are delusional.

Edited by BustaTimes

I would never trade a 1st round pick to move up for anything other than a QB. In hindsight it looks like there were enough premier receivers available last draft to get one of them and have a 1st round pick this year.

+ 1 Bingo.

Even Sammy can't be in 2 places at once. He had a good year, but trading up like that... NOT

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16725/sammy-watkins

Banana - You KNEW you were going to get nailed for that big time!

Yeah, knew the homers would be all over it. Anything approaching objectivity is like a red flag to them.

A lot like most of your posts

Looked pretty darn good for a rookie Tex

Good to see someone finally told you about spell-check, John. Now if they only had a punctuation check.

Yeah, knew the homers would be all over it. Anything approaching objectivity is like a red flag to them.

So saying that you wouldn't move up to draft the greatest WR of all time is "approaching objectivity" in your mind, as opposed to "blatant hyperbole"?

Furthermore, someone that thinks that such a statement is indeed blatant hyperbole is somehow a homer?

There's no other way to say this: that doesn't make sense.

How about 2 firsts, a second, and a Pro Bowl RB for a linebacker?

GO BILLS!!!

Objectivity = Whaley ruined my Thursday night.

Geez, I thought that post was sarcastic. Wouldn't trade up for Jerry Rice? Wow.

Thanks for ruining tonight, Whaley, and for what, a receiver? I wouldn't move up to get Jerry Rice if we had Montana for a QB. Moving up and paying like you did was a rookie move, bro.

I don't think there was a huge gap between Sammy and other highly rated WR's (Evans, Beckham Jr, Benjamin etc.) and because, without a proven QB we are wasting his talents, i.e. putting the cart before the horse.

Well, I'm going to go with the consensus of the scouting community over you. Watkins was head and shoulders over all of them. Also, Benjamin? Are you just looking at the stat line to see how good they are? Benjamin was alright, but he is very raw, runs poor routes etc. Wasting his talents? What? Only draft WR's when you have QB's? Would we be wasting the talent of a Pro-Bowl O-lineman because our QB sucked? Obviously not, for some arbitrary reason, as evidenced by....

The two obvious options close to Sammy were Evans and Bekham Jr. (but, if it was up to me, I would have grabbed Mosley and waited until 2nd or 3rd round for the WR)

I'd rather have invested in defense (Mosley) or even OL (one of the OT's).

You'd rather have spent another precious resource on the 3rd ranked defense than the 20+ ranked O? Wha? And which OT, be specific please. You can't say a draft choice sucks without giving specifics.

I wanted Mosley, going into draft we were thin at LB, Bradham hadn't proven himself, Brown wasn't on roster. So, I thought Mosley should have been the pick. As for OL, I was okay with any of the top 4 (Matthews, Robinson, Lewan and Martin).

I think the Bills (including Whaley), haven't spent enough time finding a true proven NFL QB. To me, that's the first, second, third and fourth priorities.

So, besides signing ~10 QB's since 2013, they haven't spent enough time? How do you figure? Not one sentence ago you said you'd rather have had them take a linebacker with our first round pick, but we haven't spent enough time finding QB's? What?

Big difference between using a 1st rd pick on OL, LB or WR and using 2 1st Rd picks, that's the issue. You limit your ability this year to use that asset to acquire a QB. As for Bills making QB a priority, including this year's draft, we would have selected ONE QB in the 1st or 2nd round in the past 11 drafts !!! ONE. That is ignoring the most important position. Don't give me signing 10 QB's; Kolb ? Orton ? Fitz ? come on, this is the most important position in team sports and we used ONE 1st or 2nd round pick on it over the past 11 drafts !!! that's insane.

This off-season, they've essentially said, we don't have a QB, we won't be able to get a QB, so we are going to build up everything besides QB (i.e. Hughes, McCoy, Harvin, Clay etc.) -- that to me is Plan B. Plan A would have been to sacrifice everything we could to get Bradford or even Foles.

Why Bradford or Foles? Huge question marks with both. Sacrifice everything? I suppose it could have worked, but if Foles sucks in STL and Bradford sucks in PHI/CLE, I expect you to own that.

I'd take Bradford in a nano-second, I would have traded this year's 1st (19th), next year's 1st and a young player to get him. He is legit. His only issue is staying healthy. I'm not as high on Foles, but both are better prospects than any QB we've had on our roster in the past decade.

I believe you can't win a SuperBowl without a decent (Top 16) QB. I think the Bills are a marginal playoff team (right now), but have no shot at a SuperBowl.

Cassell has played like a top 16 QB before. Maybe he can do it again. If not, Bradford in the top 16? I think he's # 2 in fewest games played since 2010. If we make the playoffs, we have a shot at the Superbowl. And trading a Dareus + picks for Bradford would've been ludicrous.

If Cassell plays like a Top 16 QB, we will make playoffs and be competitive once we are in them. Bradford is much better QB than Cassell, it's not even close.

Good to see someone finally told you about spell-check, John. Now if they only had a punctuation check.

Just as long as it doesnt ruin your Friday night......

If Cassell plays like a Top 16 QB, we will make playoffs and be competitive once we are in them. Bradford is much better QB than Cassell, it's not even close.

Too bad Bradford cant stay healthy...which is just as big a part of the equation......

No

But it is what it is now. Gotta dance with the gal you brought, as they say. Even though that gal just had hip surgery and won't be dancing for a while. :(

I agreed with the trade...but also agree what regardless we are where we are....and people crying in the milk about Whaley being aggressive are going to need to move on.

Edited by John from Hemet