The Bills linebacker problem

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Valid concern and I can definitely see them picking a LB early in the draft. That said, a lot of people didn't think Bradham wasn't anything going into his 2nd year and he emerged into a good starter. So one of these guys might emerge.

That's the Steelers model for LB development - pick up guys in the 3rd to 5th round, stash them and give them 2-3 years to develop, play 'em, rinse and repeat. Preston Brown was a pleasant surprise last year developing ahead of schedule. I trust Whaley to recognize LB talent, both FA and in the draft. It's highly unlikely we hit opening day with our current roster.

Rex may be a great coach but the fact is without the players last year he did not succeed. So he does need players.

As of right now, the Bills have five linebackers on the team, and only two are credible NFL players: Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham. The others are Jimmy Gaines, Ty Powell, and Randell Johnson. One could argue that Manny Lawson is a linebacker, but he really isn't one at this point in his career and he isn't listed as one in any case. He's a DE. I don't see Spikes coming back either. I suspect the undrafted Gaines is on the team because despite going to Miami, he's a local - from Getzville and a Canisius HS grad. Both Powell and Johnson were seventh round picks (Powell was drafted by Seattle) and presumably fit for the ST squad only.

I could see the Bills going LB with the 50th pick or 81st pick. They have a clear and definite need.

That is why I adjusted my tagline to reflect a guy like Eli Harold being a possible option at 50 if he drops a bit.

That is why I adjusted my tagline to reflect a guy like Eli Harold being a possible option at 50 if he drops a bit.

Thanks: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494. Seems like a sensible pick if it happens.

I feel like the Bills have enough pass rushers though. Someone who can cover and run-and-chase (a David Harris type) seems more of a need given the lack of decent traditional LBs on the roster and the high potential for injury at the position.

Edited by dave mcbride

Thanks: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494. Seems like a sensible pick if it happens.

I feel like the Bills have enough pass rushers though. Someone who can cover and run-and-chase (a David Harris type) seems more of a need given the lack of decent traditional LBs on the roster and the high potential for injury at the position.

I agree...maybe a Shaq Thompson as a hybrid SS/ILB in a nickle set would be ideal.

He is a playmaker with the experience of playing in space. But some scouting report cite him for being more evading as opposed to taking on blocks & gap containment in a base set.

We can always use playmakers...Go Bills!

I agree...maybe a Shaq Thompson as a hybrid SS/ILB in a nickle set would be ideal.

He is a playmaker with the experience of playing in space. But some scouting report cite him for being more evading as opposed to taking on blocks & gap containment in a base set.

We can always use playmakers...Go Bills!

I definitely agree about getting playmakers!

I am a big fan of Randal Johnson....that guy is a freak......

I think they found a late gem there

Yes, they kept him around for a reason. I think we will see a lot of him in preseason, and he will come on.......need to find out about him for sure though.