Lack of home primetime games - per Bills NOT by request

I have seen several posts inferring that there is a team request to the NFL to NOT schedule primetime games in Buffalo. I asked the guy who runs the Fan Advisory Board to add a discussion of this topic to the agenda for tomorrow night's FAB meeting and here was his response:

There is 100% no truth to that. If we could play all 8 home games on Monday night we would and that has never been a secret. The more exposure, the better for us. This could not be farther from the truth and please feel free to share that with whoever is asking about it.

When I said the inference is based on the fatality after the last one, his response was

The two are mutually exclusive. That was just a very unfortunate situation. It could have happened at any game.

We were told last year that the cabling at RWS before the update made broadcasting primetime games difficult (with the number of HD cameras etc), but that was improved last year.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Good to know. What is the reason though? I can live with no snf or MNF home game. I'm just glad we have one this year, regardless of where it's played. But the 3 straight TNF road games pisses me off because it is a competitive disadvantage, especially when against a divisional opponent.

Much like when we complain about bad media predictions... we have to earn respect. If we start winning, we'll get said home primetime games. It's not exactly a mystery.

Buffalo is a small market team, and the team with the longest playoff drought. We're not exactly a big ticket right now.

Much like when we complain about bad media predictions... we have to earn respect. If we start winning, we'll get said home primetime games. It's not exactly a mystery.

Buffalo is a small market team, and the team with the longest playoff drought. We're not exactly a big ticket right now.

lots of bad teams have home prime time games.So it is indeed a mystery to me.

i get yolo complaining about travel on a short week, but with things like hosting SNF/MNF, vs being on the road..... is it actually respect to host them now?

While I agree with the small market and playoff drought points... I would say we are a bigger of a ticket this year than we have been in the last ten+. We have many players (and coach) that the NFL nation and fantasy Followers know about and want to see. We have a billionaire owner who the league probably wants to see invest more money in team and may want to try to make him happy sometimes.

We picked up an extra prime time game this year. I hope to see the trend continue.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

i get yolo complaining about travel on a short week, but with things like hosting SNF/MNF, vs being on the road..... is it actually respect to host them now?

The fact that the Browns, raiders, Jax, jets all host prime time games shows it has nothing to with winning or respect.

The fact that the Browns, raiders, Jax, jets all host prime time games shows it has nothing to with winning or respect.

Jacksonville is hosting a primetime game? Well yeah that throws it out.

The Raiders and Jets probably pull better ratings, though. Not sure about the Browns. But with Manziel, the NFL probably favors them right now too, for ratings purposes.

Jacksonville is hosting a primetime game? Well yeah that throws it out.

The Raiders and Jets probably pull better ratings, though. Not sure about the Browns. But with Manziel, the NFL probably favors them right now too, for ratings purposes.

how does the factor of them being home vs away impact ratings? Raiders,jets and Manziel people will watch regardless, no? Edited by YoloinOhio

um ... Really? Black hole anyone?

Yeah, but that's "cool".

I honestly have no logical explanation, since I didn't know Jax, etc are hosting primetime games. I just assumed it's because we are generally seen as a "loser" franchise since we've been unsuccessful for so long.

I know we got all sorts of coverage during the "golden years", I'm sure it'll happen again (along with premium games) if we get back to the playoffs/superbowl multiple years in a row.

this was the thing that bummed me out the most about the schedule. we have been waiting for a primetime home game for a couple of seasons now. i thought this year was our chance. instead of showing the fans at the Ralph going crazy for Rex as the Bills beat the Jets, the NFL would rather show the Jets fans booing Rex out of the stadium. what is better for the league? showing a bunch of happy fans as a team that has been in the dumps is reborn, or a bunch of idiot fans that would rather boo the other team's coach instead of cheering for their own bum team?

Edited by kdiggz

Good to know. What is the reason though? I can live with no snf or MNF home game. I'm just glad we have one this year, regardless of where it's played. But the 3 straight TNF road games pisses me off because it is a competitive disadvantage, especially when against a divisional opponent.

I did a little analysis of Thursday Night Football results, and was mildly surprised. The home team has a record of 44 and 36 on TNF since it began in 2006. This does not include season openers, as they're not on "short rest". A 55% win ratio is actually lower than the overall average for home teams which according to this study is just over 57% (at least for 2002-2011). Historically, players have also claimed playing on 3 days rest has led to more injuries but on January 29, 2015 the NFL released its health and safety report, which states that an average of 4.8 injuries were sustained during Thursday games compared to 6.9 injuries per game on Sundays and Mondays.

I did a little analysis of Thursday Night Football results, and was mildly surprised. The home team has a record of 44 and 36 on TNF since it began in 2006. This does not include season openers, as they're not on "short rest". A 55% win ratio is actually lower than the overall average for home teams which according to this study is just over 57% (at least for 2002-2011). Historically, players have also claimed playing on 3 days rest has led to more injuries but on January 29, 2015 the NFL released its health and safety report, which states that an average of 4.8 injuries were sustained during Thursday games compared to 6.9 injuries per game on Sundays and Mondays.

interesting. It seems like both teams usually look like crap on TNF and the least crappy team wins.