Bar set for Gilmore deal? Jimmy Smith contract...

@ProFootballTalk: Ravens CB Jimmy Smith's new contract is a four-year extension worth $48M. Includes $21M fully guaranteed. Per source.

@RavensInsider: Jimmy Smith deal averages just under $10 million annually, according to sources

Yeah, that sets the bar alright...if I'm Gilmore, I'm looking for no less than $12M per

This one is a tough one though.

Jimmy Smith is one of the Ravens better players on defense. Not saying Gilmore is not for the Bills, but he's had his bumps in the road.

Gilmore did have an average start to 2014, but rebounded.

In 2016 the cap space will be tighter. Gilmore's option is picked up if I recall, locking him into the 2016 cap. It will be interesting to see his price.

This one is a tough one though.

Jimmy Smith is one of the Ravens better players on defense. Not saying Gilmore is not for the Bills, but he's had his bumps in the road.

Gilmore did have an average start to 2014, but rebounded.

In 2016 the cap space will be tighter. Gilmore's option is picked up if I recall, locking him into the 2016 cap. It will be interesting to see his price.

I can't say that jimmy smith has been better though... Had he?

I can't say that jimmy smith has been better though... Had he?

Depends.

A lot of Ravens fans say he is average, but a lot of Ravens fans say he is their best Defensive players.

I want to say his season ending injury last year was an Lisfranc. He was leading up to a great year.

If Gilmore excels in Rex's system, than he probably will get more than Jimmy's deal

I want to say Gilmore has started more games

Depends.

A lot of Ravens fans say he is average, but a lot of Ravens fans say he is their best Defensive players.

I want to say his season ending injury last year was an Lisfranc. He was leading up to a great year.

If Gilmore excels in Rex's system, than he probably will get more than Jimmy's deal

I want to say Gilmore has started more games

my impression, albeit second hand, is that he has been a solid young #1 corner - but not out of this world GREAT. my gut said gilmore has played a bit better but i have to admit that with smith im relying on sentiment ive heard more than my own eyes (and if i did the same for gilmore id likely have the same mixed feedback from others). At worst for gilmore i think they are similar quality. id think youd be hardpressed to put together a major argument strongly in smiths favor.

Gilmore is the new Jason Peters. Not in personality, but in debate on how good he really is.

There are metrics where you can make Gilmore appear to be a premiere corner in this league. There are others where you can argue that he's solid but not great. Jason Peters was the same way...his reputation always exceeded is actual on field play with the exception of one spectacular year in which he earned that reputation despite never playing at that level before then or after then.

Gilmore at times has looked like a top 5 corner in this league with the potential to be even better. Then there are other times where you sit wondering if he is really as good as his reputation suggests. Then there are even other times where you watch him and are thinking he's more of an average to solid corner. Plus Gilmore has had a hard time staying healthy.

My personal opinion, is that he is a pretty good DB with the potential to be great if he can figure out how to stay healthy and be more consistent. I think the Jimmy contract would be a very fair contract for both Gilmore and the Bills, but I fear his reputation as a shut down corner is going to command more money, and I just don't know if he is worth top 3 or 4 corner money in the league. Much like Peters was not worth what he was asking for during his last days with the Bills because his reputation exceeded his on field production.

I would love to keep Gilmore, but I fear what it will cost to keep him. Now if he plays lights out this year and stays healthy, I can see him being worth the money, but just haven't seen him put together a whole season worthy of elite money.

Gilmore is the new Jason Peters. Not in personality, but in debate on how good he really is.

There are metrics where you can make Gilmore appear to be a premiere corner in this league. There are others where you can argue that he's solid but not great. Jason Peters was the same way...his reputation always exceeded is actual on field play with the exception of one spectacular year in which he earned that reputation despite never playing at that level before then or after then.

Gilmore at times has looked like a top 5 corner in this league with the potential to be even better. Then there are other times where you sit wondering if he is really as good as his reputation suggests. Then there are even other times where you watch him and are thinking he's more of an average to solid corner. Plus Gilmore has had a hard time staying healthy.

My personal opinion, is that he is a pretty good DB with the potential to be great if he can figure out how to stay healthy and be more consistent. I think the Jimmy contract would be a very fair contract for both Gilmore and the Bills, but I fear his reputation as a shut down corner is going to command more money, and I just don't know if he is worth top 3 or 4 corner money in the league. Much like Peters was not worth what he was asking for during his last days with the Bills because his reputation exceeded his on field production.

I would love to keep Gilmore, but I fear what it will cost to keep him. Now if he plays lights out this year and stays healthy, I can see him being worth the money, but just haven't seen him put together a whole season worthy of elite money.

Fantastic post!!!

I will risk the wrath of others and add that Peters is more of a proven commodity than Gilmore. Peters, even after the injuries, might still be the to LT in the NFL.

Oof. On the plus side, we've got him on an (expensive) option in 2016, so the new money will start coming in 2017-2022 or so. That's pretty far future, and we're not that booked up for most of it.

On the other hand, since the Gilmore extension will go past 2020, we'll be in a new CBA, and it's harder to predict the cap.