Tim Graham interview with CJ Spiller

I think that bust is pretty harsh. He was poorly used and still had a couple of good years when healthy. If he stays healthy he will be a monster in Payton's system. Spiller isn't a guy that you "run until he pukes." He is a weapon not really an RB. Just watch how Sean Payton uses him in the screen game, on jet sweeps, returning kicks and with a handful of carries in space. Neither Reggie Bush nor Darren Sproles have Spiller's natural ability and both of them flourished in that role. He is the prototype for what they do. People are going to talk about it like a "career resurgence" when in reality it will just be Spiller being used properly.

If a RB can't be used as a RB then he was a bust... Sproles is a much better player then Spiller could ever hope to be.

Edited by Beef Jerky

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a RB can't be used as a RB then he was a bust... Sproles is a much better player then Spiller could ever hope to be.

Sproles hasn't ever been used as a traditional RB? He has played the EXACT position that Spiller is made for. That is why the Saints paid him. He is a more talented version of Sproles. The Saints sorely missed someone like that last year. In fact, many Saints fans believe that along with the defense that was THE biggest issue on the team.

I'd look for Spiller to have about 600 yards on the ground, 75 catches for 650 yards and 8 TDs. In addition 2 more punt return TDs for a total of 10. He will be put in position to do exactly what he was born to do.

It's pretty rare after they are on a new team. There's a lot of new guys that are here that could be interviewed.

and many probably have and/or will be.

1) we likely dont read a ton of the indy star, or houston chronicle to see if anyone has reached out.

2) the pieces normally end up pretty fluffy. even if we see them, rarely are they incredibly inflammatory or would we think twice about them.

3) when we read offseason articles most of the time we dont really care about which reporter supplied the quotes.

example - i just poked around the 2 biggest saints boards, and not a mention of this article for the nola fans.

Edited by NoSaint

Shady will double CJ in all categories, except averages.

Not in the receiving categories. 2 years ago Sproles and Thomas combined for 148 receptions (both were over 70). The Saints want to get back to that which is why they wanted Spiller so badly. He will be a 70+ catch guy if healthy which will translate to a bunch of yards. He may never be healthy though.

Not in the receiving categories. 2 years ago Sproles and Thomas combined for 148 receptions (both were over 70). The Saints want to get back to that which is why they wanted Spiller so badly. He will be a 70+ catch guy if healthy which will translate to a bunch of yards. He may never be healthy though.

I really don't think CJ will have 70 catches. I would bet on it if I could.

CJ always has been a class act and great teammate. He loved playing for the Bills and in Buffalo. He and Fred always got along great, and all of the other players loved him.

I never understood some of the posters on this board who seemed to enjoy spewing vitriol his way -- especially those who claimed he had no "heart." Nothing could be further from the truth.

Let me preface my following comment by emphasizing that I love Rex and the direction of this team. I also love Shady. Nevertheless, the question at the end of the day will be whether the Bills will be better with Shady and his cap hit or with both CJ and Kiko and their respective cap hits. Time will tell.

In any event, I will be rooting for the Bills and Shady, but also wish CJ all the best in NO (and am glad that he did not go to the Jets or another AFC East or AFC team).

I really don't think CJ will have 70 catches. I would bet on it if I could.

Sproles also had 75 catches in 2012 and 86 in 2011. That is the role that Spiller was brought here to play (and born to play really).

Obviously, living in New Orleans I follow them pretty closely. He may never stay healthy in which case that number will be less. I just don't see it being less than that with that exact role in mind. Spiller has ALWAYS been the perfect fit for Payton's offense, much in the same way that Charles Clay is such a good fit in Roman's offense.

CJ is the guy that the Saints were missing last year. Their offense regressed because of it. They were hoping to use Brandin Cooks in that way some but he got hurt. Now he has to be the number 1 option and will be a more traditional WR. CJ will fill that Sproles/Bush role and will flourish in doing so. They were hoping Cadet would be that guy but he hasn't been.

Sproles also had 75 catches in 2012 and 86 in 2011. That is the role that Spiller was brought here to play (and born to play really).

Obviously, living in New Orleans I follow them pretty closely. He may never stay healthy in which case that number will be less. I just don't see it being less than that with that exact role in mind. Spiller has ALWAYS been the perfect fit for Payton's offense, much in the same way that Charles Clay is such a good fit in Roman's offense.

CJ is the guy that the Saints were missing last year. Their offense regressed because of it. They were hoping to use Brandin Cooks in that way some but he got hurt. Now he has to be the number 1 option and will be a more traditional WR. CJ will fill that Sproles/Bush role and will flourish in doing so. They were hoping Cadet would be that guy but he hasn't been.

off topic but whatever happened to Khiry Robinson?

I thought he was supposed to be the new Sproles last year