(OT) Good old movies

BB27

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent "My Fair Lady"(1964) - Rex Harrison, Audrey Hepburn, Stanley Holloway. Garnered 10 Oscars includind Best Picture, and widely regarded as one of the best movies ever.  Also, "Zulu" is a great action flick.

The list of great movies is endless...

232706[/snapback]

In the same vain, I would recommend "West Side Story," the only movie (IIFC) to ever win 11 Academy Awards (1961). The story stands the test of time, and to this day remains to single best movie I have ever seen.

In the same vain, I would recommend "West Side Story," the only movie (IIFC) to ever win 11 Academy Awards (1961). The story stands the test of time, and to this day remains to single best movie I have ever seen.

232739[/snapback]

Quite so. A remarkable flick. Hollywood actors today don't have nearly the talent these days to make anything like that. The many greats of years gone by could dance, sing, do comedy, drama, etc.

Today's crowd are a dull bunch, all in all - managed to "stardom" by massive PR campaigning and sexual innuendo. The consuming public is far less critical and sophisticated than in years past.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1946)

The Big Sleep (1946)

Paths of Glory (1958?)

Touch of Evil (1959)

The Third Man (1949)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

The Awful Truth (1937)

The Shop Around the Corner (1941)

Vertigo (1956)

The Lady Eve (1940)

All black & white (expect for Vertigo). I could go on....

Anyone ever see "Witness for the Prosecution"? Not sure of the release year......sometime in the 50s. It starred Tyrone Power and Marlena Deitrich. Not only was the movie very good and very well acted, the ending was ahead of its time. I have to admit that I didn't see it coming, if only for the fact that I had no idea a 50 year old film was capable of it.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1946)

The Big Sleep (1946)

Paths of Glory (1958?)

Touch of Evil (1959)

The Third Man (1949)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

The Awful Truth (1937)

The Shop Around the Corner (1941)

Vertigo (1956)

The Lady Eve (1940)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. I have that one. Show it one night after dinner with your parents and you'll all be crying at the end. That is one funny and great movie. I think it was made by Preston Sturges.