Nolan fired

"Sabres head coach Ted Nolan has been the source of much controversy, from his motivational tactics to his dismissal of more advanced stats to the simple fact that he kept trying so dang hard to win in a year that the organization wanted to finish dead last. And today, he received his reward for piloting the Sabres to a 30th place finish.

The Buffalo Sabres have announced that Nolan and much of his staff have been relieved of their duties."

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/4/12/8396187/ted-nolan-fired-as-buffalo-sabres-head-coach

WTF Haven't been paying much attention ........ know that we tanked to get the first draft pick .... anyone see this coming?

yes - not a surprise. Nolan was never part of murray's plan. Nolan didnt have a lot to work with, and seems like a good person. They want to upgrade though and they may have a chance to do that.i don't think there was a good relationship between Murray and Nolan. I doubt Nolan expected he would be back. Edited by YoloinOhio

You had to know that Timmie "Poindexter" has to have his "own man!" Can't imagine anyone wanting to work for him. What did he give Nolan to work with?

Ted still has 1-2 years left on his contract, so he'll be OK.

Poindexter that's awesome , my kids used to watch that show, can totally see it now.

That said he has done a tremendous job in tanking and from a coaching perspective if Nolan was just a motivator and not and Xs & Os guy nor good at strategy then Murray made the right choice and hopefully we get the best coach out there.

yes - not a surprise. Nolan was never part of murray's plan. Nolan didnt have a lot to work with, and seems like a good person. They want to upgrade though and they may have a chance to do that.i don't think there was a good relationship between Murray and Nolan. I doubt Nolan expected he would be back.

scratching my head. How is this an attractive head coaching gig? Seems pretty unstable. Lots of potential at skill positions, but job security?

scratching my head. How is this an attractive head coaching gig? Seems pretty unstable. Lots of potential at skill positions, but job security?

Nolan will never coach in the NHL again, nor should he. He's a throwback who has no place in today's NHL. The Sabres can afford to get any coach they want and most likely will.

It's attractive because we have an owner who parts with his money as if he hates it.

Nolan was past his time. I'm still not exactly sure why the undying love for the guy. He did, after all, despite trying really hard not to, finish in dead last. Sure, not a ton of talent, but why is it surprising that the guy that finished dead last lost his job?

Nolan will never coach in the NHL again, nor should he. He's a throwback who has no place in today's NHL. The Sabres can afford to get any coach they want and most likely will.

I was just about to post something similar. He's a relic -- archaic in his thoughts about what works, and his refusal to embrace the analytical side of the game.

I have mixed feelings, but ultimately, it is the right move. Kinda like I felt when Lindy got fired. You would always like to see everyone go out on a high note, but that rarely happens. He wasn't going the guy to lead this "new era" of Sabres hockey, so better to end it now than, perhaps more fairly for him, letting him coach through December, and then firing him mid-stream.

It's attractive because we have an owner who parts with his money as if he hates it.

Nolan was past his time. I'm still not exactly sure why the undying love for the guy. He did, after all, despite trying really hard not to, finish in dead last. Sure, not a ton of talent, but why is it surprising that the guy that finished dead last lost his job?

We were supposed to finish dead last so he didn't get fired for that. He was fired because him and Murray didn't get along professionally.

the good coaches don't fret about job security

There's no such thing as job security in the coaching profession. How many NHL coaches current tenure is longer than three seasons? 12. Three of those are on the hot seat and may not be back next year (Julien, McLellan, Tippett). And then there's Babcock who may walk.

That number is actually higher than I expected, but the rest of the list are mostly teams where the job has turned over several times in recent years.