Lawn service. I need one

mead107

Look around your neighborhood to see if anyone else uses one currently and how they like the service. I did hire one years ago, Green Thumb I think was the name. It was amazing the difference in the color of the lawn after just a couple visits. You could see the line between my neighbors front lawn and mine.

Look around your neighborhood to see if anyone else uses one currently and how they like the service. I did hire one years ago, Green Thumb I think was the name. It was amazing the difference in the color of the lawn after just a couple visits. You could see the line between my neighbors front lawn and mine.

I agree, see who has the best lawn in the neighborhood and ask if they use anybody. Compliment to them and they will be happy you asked.

Lots of them out there. Good and bad. I do it all myself. 3hrs to mow and alittle over a hour to weed wack. Planted ever tree in the yard also shrubs bushes. Over 100. Also planted over 400 trees. I have 100 pine seedlings and 50 bushes coming next week. After working on cement 8hrs doing auto body it`s getting tiring . Fifty six going on eighty some days.. Good luck.

Lawn has gone to crap. Want to replace shrubs in front yard and hire a service to kill the weeds. In need of gutters also. Any advice?

This is mead's indirect request for grooming advice in the form of a euphemism.

Lawn has gone to crap = Some balding areas and discolored hair?

Wants to replace shrubs = wants an implant?

Wants to kill weeds = ummmmmm

Needs new gutters = Yeah....long, durable gutters.

Good man mead.

Lots of them out there. Good and bad. I do it all myself. 3hrs to mow and alittle over a hour to weed wack. Planted ever tree in the yard also shrubs bushes. Over 100. Also planted over 400 trees. I have 100 pine seedlings and 50 bushes coming next week. After working on cement 8hrs doing auto body it`s getting tiring . Fifty six going on eighty some days.. Good luck.

Last year, I had to get rid of an Ash tree in my front yard cos of the Emerald ash borer problem. Need to replace it. Something that doesn't 'shed' and not too large. Suggestions for trees and how to plant ? Seems like my neighbors are getting them for $500-$600 a piece which sounds exorbitant

Lawn has gone to crap. Want to replace shrubs in front yard and hire a service to kill the weeds. In need of gutters also. Any advice?

Don't hire a Canadian gardener. You can find other good lawn care advice here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/130111-toronto-taking-the-bills-is-like-my-ex-wife/?hl=canadian%20gardener

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Last year, I had to get rid of an Ash tree in my front yard cos of the Emerald ash borer problem. Need to replace it. Something that doesn't 'shed' and not too large. Suggestions for trees and how to plant ? Seems like my neighbors are getting them for $500-$600 a piece which sounds exorbitant

I think a linden tree might be your best bet. It gets around 40 ft height and 25 or 30 ft wide. Great shade . Japanese beetles hate it. Bright yellow fall leaves. I also think you might like a honey locust. 35 to 40 ft height and leaves are small enough you don`t have to rake.I like October glory maple 25 to 50 ft high and 25 to 30 wide. Go web searching for tree nurseries near you. Dig a hole 2 times as wide as the base or container it comes in. Dig hole as deep as it was when dug. Put tree in hole ,fill in hole with dirt and a little peat moss , a couple inches from ground level fill in with mulch. Tamp in around it with your foot and water. No fertilizer first year. Water every week . More in hot summer. Morning waterering is best.Good luck.

Maybe different where you live, but in Richmond no need to plant anything now, just not enough time to establish good root system before the heat hits. Just wait a few months, plant that new tree weekend before Bills opener...all will be well

Maybe different where you live, but in Richmond no need to plant anything now, just not enough time to establish good root system before the heat hits. Just wait a few months, plant that new tree weekend before Bills opener...all will be well

It`s time to plant trees for the next month here in the north.

I think a linden tree might be your best bet. It gets around 40 ft height and 25 or 30 ft wide. Great shade . Japanese beetles hate it. Bright yellow fall leaves. I also think you might like a honey locust. 35 to 40 ft height and leaves are small enough you don`t have to rake.I like October glory maple 25 to 50 ft high and 25 to 30 wide. Go web searching for tree nurseries near you. Dig a hole 2 times as wide as the base or container it comes in. Dig hole as deep as it was when dug. Put tree in hole ,fill in hole with dirt and a little peat moss , a couple inches from ground level fill in with mulch. Tamp in around it with your foot and water. No fertilizer first year. Water every week . More in hot summer. Morning waterering is best.Good luck.

Thanx. I was thinking about a smaller tree, maybe no more than 30' tall

From what I have read, now is the right time here.

$250 to rake lawn. Spring clean up only. Lawn doctor wants 29.99 for first visit. Not sure after that.

Mead, my only advise is to get someone local. Every micro climate needs is different...what my lawn in Richmond needs is completely different than waht my lawn in DC needed, 90 miles away.

Lawn Doctor franchise, has to buy their chit from parent, don't know the local needs generally as well as a local, albeit more expensive , business. At least that is my experience

nobody does it better than you can do on your own. have had numerous lawn guys including independent local guys and national co's like chem lawn and tru green. none of them really gave a sh#% how the lawn did. very little attention to detail. now that i have a bit more time, i weed and feed at the right time with the good stuff, cut at proper heights and differing angles, water when needed and don't cut when it will do harm (hired guys NEVER do this). pulling shrubs, i'd hire somebody but replant myself. landscapers in general are overpriced imo. hire the odd jobs guy that plows driveways in the winter and that the neighbors recommend. .

And, Virginia Green Lawn here in Richmond is just awesome. Now, they are just treatment and aerator and overseer in the fall, I do all the cutting etc( well kids do).

No doubt you can tell every lawn in the neighborhood that uses them, and more importantly the ones who don't. Worth every penny

nobody does it better than you can do on your own. have had numerous lawn guys including independent local guys and national co's like chem lawn and tru green. none of them really gave a sh#% how the lawn did. very little attention to detail. now that i have a bit more time, i weed and feed at the right time with the good stuff, cut at proper heights and differing angles, water when needed and don't cut when it will do harm (hired guys NEVER do this). pulling shrubs, i'd hire somebody but replant myself. landscapers in general are overpriced imo. hire the odd jobs guy that plows driveways in the winter and that the neighbors recommend. .

This. I also plow my quarter mile drive ,60 foot wide with my 83 f-150 I paid 400 bucks for. 8yrs ago. I don't treat my lawn,have well water. It would be awful pricey since I mow almost 3 acres. I`m a do it yourself guy. At 56 though ,this blue collar worker is starting to wear a little. I don`t like chemicals or dye sprayed on my lawns. Not healthy for the kids to play on.

Going to mow my own. Guy coming to clean yard is charging 250 Going to have my brother come down with his kabota and dig out plants. And spread some dirt for me. Need to dig out back cellar wall and repair bow and crack this year.

If you're less than 55 miles from the nearest radio telescope, this solution might work:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/04/16/400183904/we-might-welcome-robot-lawn-mowers-but-astronomers-arent-so-happy

cool. seems like the robots would be guided by the same radio frequency tech that underground dog fences are. why not change the frequency?

Olive?

Autumn olive ,they are like Russian olive . They get a real fragrant yellow flower,real fragrant. The birds love them . Turkeys, grouse and such. Humans eat them also ,jam ,wine,and other ways. 40 times the anti oxidant of blue berries. I`ve planted a couple hundred. I think I`m going to work on my lawn tractor now. Tired of planting today. Oh .I have a friend who owns a tree nursery,thats how I`ve have planted hundreds of tree`s and bushes.Thirty acres of ground doesn`t hurt either.