anybody ever vacation in Cape cod?

I'm looking for a place to go on vacation. Some place quiet and relaxing. Anyone have any good suggestions? It would just be me. I appreciate any help.

Cape Cod is nice. Go to homeaway.com and you can find places to rent there.

dennisport is awesome. stayed at colony beach motel. Just remember all hotels on cape have been there a while.

Not going to find the hilton, but the rooms are comfortable. Restaurants are awesome, beaches are great. Have a

friend who has a place in dennisport, I stay there too. Go clamming if you can(fun fun). the whole cape is just

awesome

dennisport is awesome. stayed at colony beach motel. Just remember all hotels on cape have been there a while.

Not going to find the hilton, but the rooms are comfortable. Restaurants are awesome, beaches are great. Have a

friend who has a place in dennisport, I stay there too. Go clamming if you can(fun fun). the whole cape is just

awesome

Thanks! I will definitely check it out.

I'm looking for a place to go on vacation. Some place quiet and relaxing. Anyone have any good suggestions? It would just be me. I appreciate any help.

A lot of the Cape is touristy. If you want peace and quiet, look to rent a cabin on the National Seashore (which often means "semi-private beach.") Cape Cod is small enough that you're never too far away from anything, though - don't base your on what's near by, since everything's close.

And Provincetown is the antithesis of "peace and quiet," FYI. Nice place, great atmosphere (like a more vibrant Nantucket), but it's a stronly gay party town.

Martha's Vineyard is amazing.

Take the ferry over, rent a little cottage in Oak Bluffs for the week, and explore the island. Rent a jeep (or a moped if you're feeling frisky) for a day or two. It is so laid back there, and there is so much to do. I used to spend summers there while I'm college waiting tables at a fancy tennis club in Vineyard Haven. Best summers of my life. I still go back with the family almost every summer. You can camp there as well if that's your thing.

PM me if you want more details. I know the island very well.

just last year. Stayed at this place:

http://captainsmanorinn.com/

Very nice place and the innkeepers are really terrific people. The Cape is always crowded but this property was just in a quiet spot within walking distance of many excellent restaurants. Just a few minute drive to the ferry service to Martha's Vineyard as well as Wood's Hole. Highly recommend.

Westside, don't know what you like and dislike or where on the Cape you'll be, but here are a few ideas I'll add to those mentioned above.

Arnold's on Rt 6 in Eastham - best fried clams in the world. They fresh-shuck Wellfleet oysters - the best in the world. :thumbsup:

The Bookstore and Restaurant in Wellfleet - try the fish pot.

Cooke's Seafood has decent fried clams, but the place has a strange vibe.

Chatham Pier - check out the seals - arrff arrff arrff!

The boat from Harwich Port to Nantucket is a good way to get there if you're on the eastern end of the Cape.

Take the bus tour of the island unless you're going to rent a bike or a car. Hey - you can see Bill Billacheat*s house.

Kick back and relax. If you're going to make an excursion to either Nantucket or M's V, it's an all day thing.

Hyannis is a large touristy (isn't that redundant when talking about the Cape) place with lots of boutiques and tons of sight seers.

If you're on the western end of the Cape - definitely check out Woods Hole, though the place is smarmy with eco science and parking is a chore.

When traveling east-west take 6A as much as you can instead of Rt 6... especially on the weekends.

TYTT can give you a lot more insight on what to do and places to see and where to eat. I'd take him up on his offer of PMing.

Good luck, have fun, and CHEERS!

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I will definitely be PM'ing. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I went to Provincetown on a day trip last year when I went to Boston. I didn't realize it was a strong Gay and lesbian community. It didn't bother me one bit. I met quite a few kind and wonderful people as I hopped from one bar to another. :beer:

Loved the laid back vibe of Cape Cod. Definitely looking forward to just getting away and relaxing. :lol:

I have never been to the Cape, but I always think the water going to be cold. I don't like cold water. Shrinkage and all.

I happen to love the Outer Banks....so many different types of places to stay...pure beach vacation Almost 100% families from Memeorial Daybthrough Labor Day...so guess depends what you want on the vacation.

Places you can stay more touristy based with lots of restaurants etc, lots of places very secluded just you and the beach.

Lot longer drive Buffalo I am thinking , closest airport in Norfolk International.

Every summer....the Cape is awesome. It's tough to find 'quiet' on the Cape anymore, but certainly the further out you go the more spread out things get. Check out Wellfleet -- like other outer Cape towns it's a little more grown up, a little less kid-oriented, a higher concentration of good restaurants and interesting shops, etc.

I have never been to the Cape, but I always think the water going to be cold. I don't like cold water. Shrinkage and all.

Ocean side, yes, very cold. Bay side, quite warm.

Also yes, if you don't mind the trip the Outer Banks are great. Stay as far north as you can.

Thanks Plenzmed1, where are the outer banks? I would like to look into it.

Barrier islands of North Carolina...Kitty Hawk , Kill Devil Hills, Ocracoke Island...

Water warm to swim generally by Memorial Day ...no shrinkage LOL

As KD mentioned, we have always stayed North more towards Duck and Corolla. However, that tends to be the massive houses that 3 families fit in. We have always gone with at least two other families for a week.

If I was traveling by myself and looking for peace and tranquility, I might look further south towards Ocracoke etc. be a long drive from Buffalo, but just great peaceful beach vacation. Think of the more traditional beach cottages and small motels/ hotels. Tons of places to pier fish and shore cast, eat fish fresh caught every night you are there if so inclined.

Edited by plenzmd1

As KD mentioned, we have always stayed North more towards Duck and Corolla. However, that tends to be the massive houses that 3 families fit in. We have always gone with at least two other families for a week.

My family went to the OBX for the first time around 1980 and stayed in Duck -- which was literally the end of the road at that time. The lots were all zoned but maybe 25% had been built on. We went back in 1998 and by then Duke and Corolla were both pretty built up. I'm sure it goes even further north now. I understand there are even places to rent that are only accessible by Jeep at low tide.

The wild horses must not have much real estate left.

The drive down there is a killer though, so in 2000 we started going to Bethany Beach, DE which is a great family friendly beach town. North of town they have those big house that sleep 12+ which is always what our family required. But there too it has become significantly more crowed in recent years.

My family went to the OBX for the first time around 1980 and stayed in Duck -- which was literally the end of the road at that time. The lots were all zoned but maybe 25% had been built on. We went back in 1998 and by then Duke and Corolla were both pretty built up. I'm sure it goes even further north now. I understand there are even places to rent that are only accessible by Jeep at low tide.

The wild horses must not have much real estate left.

The drive down there is a killer though, so in 2000 we started going to Bethany Beach, DE which is a great family friendly beach town. North of town they have those big house that sleep 12+ which is always what our family required. But there too it has become significantly more crowed in recent years.

That is true on the Jeep stuff....that spit of land between Sandston VA and Corolla...and lord we sound like old men LOL. Everything seems crowded to us now! Now get the F off my lawn!

And the new bridge has helped with drive , but Saturday at noon is still Saturday at noon. No getting round that.

Bethany is great, and from CT no brainer over the OBX

Edited by plenzmd1