anybody ever vacation in Cape cod?

My family went to the OBX for the first time around 1980 and stayed in Duck -- which was literally the end of the road at that time. The lots were all zoned but maybe 25% had been built on. We went back in 1998 and by then Duke and Corolla were both pretty built up. I'm sure it goes even further north now. I understand there are even places to rent that are only accessible by Jeep at low tide.

The wild horses must not have much real estate left.

The drive down there is a killer though, so in 2000 we started going to Bethany Beach, DE which is a great family friendly beach town. North of town they have those big house that sleep 12+ which is always what our family required. But there too it has become significantly more crowed in recent years.

Last I went - about 10 years ago - the road ended at Corolla, and north of that was sand and the wild horse preserve. Hadn't changed at all since my previous visit (5 years before). Judging by Google Maps, it hasn't changed since.

In a previous life I was "John from Cape Cod" when I was stationed out there on the National Guard Base.

There are some good suggestions above....a word of advice? Dont go swimming where the seals like to play

An interesting story there..my wife and her friends used to go playing in the water next to a spot where the season would show up every once in a while.....it was later found out that a 20 foot great white shark had made its home in that exact same area (because of the seals)

In a previous life I was "John from Cape Cod" when I was stationed out there on the National Guard Base.

There are some good suggestions above....a word of advice? Dont go swimming where the seals like to play

An interesting story there..my wife and her friends used to go playing in the water next to a spot where the season would show up every once in a while.....it was later found out that a 20 foot great white shark had made its home in that exact same area (because of the seals)

We took the kids on a boat ride from Orleans down Little Pleasant Bay to Chatham to see the seals last year. Captain was telling us about the sharks; population has been increasing and they're now pretty common near the Cape as the food supply has been good.

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I will definitely be PM'ing. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I went to Provincetown on a day trip last year when I went to Boston. I didn't realize it was a strong Gay and lesbian community. It didn't bother me one bit. I met quite a few kind and wonderful people as I hopped from one bar to another. :beer:

Loved the laid back vibe of Cape Cod. Definitely looking forward to just getting away and relaxing. :lol:

Did you notice the Seamen's Bank in Ptown? The entrance is in the rear. (bad joke) :lol:

Did you notice the Seamen's Bank in Ptown? The entrance is in the rear. (bad joke) :lol:

There is a seafood place right as you get off the rotary from the Sagamore Bridge going onto the cap with a old beat up boat next to it.....

I HIGHLY recommend eat at that seafood place the food is very good.

also

If it is still there there is a small seafood dive in Sagmore next to the water.......water animals will get very close while you are eating if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by John from Hemet

Last I went - about 10 years ago - the road ended at Corolla, and north of that was sand and the wild horse preserve. Hadn't changed at all since my previous visit (5 years before). Judging by Google Maps, it hasn't changed since.

That's true, no road but there a few vacation spots north of Corolla that you need a Jeep or other 4 wheel drive to get to. Need a special permit to drive this section between Corolla and Sandbridge (mistakenly called in Sandston earlier)

https://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/swan-beach/

Here is a link you might enjoy Westie if you want a off the beaten track place

Westie, Sandbridge is a cool little beach community just South of Va Beach. Friend has a house there. Has the outer banks feel, but drive is much easier.

Edited by plenzmd1

Timely article I just came across:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/boston/capethe-islands/best-bars-in-cape-cod-massachusetts

Some of these places are also quite good for dinner. Mahoney's in Orleans is right up the street from where we stay. The Ocean House in Dennis Port is excellent. I'll make a reservation under Gugny.

I remember Thompson's Clam Bar in Dennisport. That was a great spot - went there on my honeymoon, many, many moons ago. They sold out years ago and now it's a high falutin' resort - the kind that Gugny would frequent on his month-long vacations on the Cape. :ph34r:

That's true, no road but there a few vacation spots north of Corolla that you need a Jeep or other 4 wheel drive to get to. Need a special permit to drive this section between Corolla and Sandbridge (mistakenly called in Sandston earlier)

https://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/swan-beach/

Here is a link you might enjoy Westie if you want a off the beaten track place

Westie, Sandbridge is a cool little beach community just South of Va Beach. Friend has a house there. Has the outer banks feel, but drive is much easier.

Thanks Plenzmed1, will definitely check that out.