Roman can build an offense that any of our QBs can execute

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone acts as if it's just as "simple as that".. You do realize that an entire team of defensive Corr. get paid millions of dollars to figure out way to stop our offense correct?

Bu but but, if they stop our run then we will just throw it, and if they sit back in coverage then we'll just run it down their throats...lmao... First off, lets see if our line can actually create holes to run in, lets see if McCoy is a shade of his self two years ago, lets see if we have a QB that can make multiple reads and fire off an accurate ball, or if the line can block long enough to get to a second read. Lets see if we can stay healthy, lets see if our coaching staff can adjust quicker and more effectively that the opposing coaches, lets see if our red zone offense can drastically improve over last years, or are we hoping to kick 30 field goals a game? ... We can say we just need to do this and just need to do that all day long, But lets see if we can actually do the fundamentals first - create me a hole, keep my QB upright, and make an accurate pass to the offensive player.

unless the defense can play with 12 men, Roman has the tools to make you choose where you'll defend - and he can manipulate that within the parameters of down/distance/time/score by employing different personnel packages, formations, motion.. if he knows what you're willing to concede, the offense will have enough information to strike. the QB just needs to execute

:lol: and there lies the problem

Im as optimistic as the next guy, but lets not get carried away. A good OC can only do so much. Even if he designs the offense perfectly and gets the players open, the QB still has to call the right play, make the right reads/adjustments and ultimately deliver the ball accurately and on time. No guarantee that any of the QBs on our roster can do that with regularity.

Im as optimistic as the next guy, but lets not get carried away. A good OC can only do so much. Even if he designs the offense perfectly and gets the players open, the QB still has to call the right play, make the right reads/adjustments and ultimately deliver the ball accurately and on time. No guarantee that any of the QBs on our roster can do that with regularity.

Sure. But the better the coach/philosophy/scheme the better position the QB is put into each and every play. The better coach/philosophy/scheme, the easier it is for the QB to make the right call/read/adjustment. It goes hand in hand. Roman isn't going to be a miracle worker, he's just going to be competent -- which is something Hackett was not. That will have an enormous impact on the season and the performance of the offense.

Roman has to be licking his chops with our personnel. He was forced to design an offense around a gimmick QB who can’t pass, a totally done RB who hit the 30s wall, and a nonexistent WR corps due to Baalke and Harbaugh constantly wasting draft picks on complete busts like AJ Jenkins, Quinton Patton, LaMichael James, Vance McDonald, Jimmie Ward, Blaine Gabbert, Stevie Johnson, etc.

Check this out:

After the 49ers had a franchise-record 621 yards in a 45-3 drubbing of the Bills on Oct. 7, 2012, offensive coordinator Greg Roman was showered with praise.

Right guard Alex Boone termed him an “evil genius,” left tackle Joe Staley dubbed him a “mad scientist” and running back Frank Gore said “you’ve got to give it to the coordinator — give it to Coach G-Ro, he did a great job.” (…)

Head coach Jim Harbaugh has strongly backed Roman, who offered reasons for the season-long struggles Thursday.

In the offseason, Roman said the offensive staff streamlined its voluminous playbook, a process he termed “cleaning out the garage.” “I do think we’ve simplified things quite a bit. That can be an advantage, but it can also be a disadvantage as well.”

Sound totally unfamiliar? It should. Since Roman and Harbaugh arrived in 2011, the 49ers’ complex, high-volume offense has been marked by a creative running attack that effectively sets up play-action passes.

Travel back to that 2012 win over the Bills, for example. At the time, Staley said Buffalo and other opponents couldn’t keep up with the 49ers’ multi-faceted attack.

“They have to prepare for so much,” Staley said.”

Roman was doing a great job until he got handcuffed to a total joke quarterback who is such a liability between the ears that he literally had to scale back his playbook to accommodate him. With Cassel and EJ, either way he's got intelligence, and now he's got the runners and receivers every OC dreams of.

I keep hearing this argument about making opposing defenses bring more into the box, but we've never proven we can make accurate throws downfield with enough consistency where it's a benefit to us. When that happens, THEN, it will be an advantage

Sure. But the better the coach/philosophy/scheme the better position the QB is put into each and every play. The better coach/philosophy/scheme, the easier it is for the QB to make the right call/read/adjustment. It goes hand in hand. Roman isn't going to be a miracle worker, he's just going to be competent -- which is something Hackett was not. That will have an enormous impact on the season and the performance of the offense.

next time i'm about to type a hundred words - i'm gonna send it off to you first, for editing :thumbsup:

i think most of us noticed how the Bills often came out of the tunnel the last couple years.. moved the ball well the first couple drives.. but then struggled after the D adjusted.

if you didn't notice it then, you'll probably have to wait until Roman leaves before you'll get to see it again.

An offense that a mediocre QB can effectively execute is not an offense that will win playoffs games.

An offense that a good QB can effectively execute is not an offense that will win playoffs games.

do you agree that my version makes no sense? because i don't think either of them makes sense.

What if they ran a qb by committee.? Think Taylor would be interesting as a red zone only qb. Let EJ and Castle fight for the #1 spot and let the Winner start. Or find a package of 20 plays each that play to their individual talents. It could be cutting edge to have EJ and Castle split snaps and then TT gets all the red zone snaps. I think TT could be really effective inside the 20s. He is super fast, and if he took 85% red zone snaps in practice he will be well prepared. Thoughts

I'd be ok with this during preseason

They had OL issues and Kaep regressed. Likely the Harbaugh/FO conflict and drama played into all of it as well.

I don't think that a coaching staff spending 12-16 hours a day coming up with game plans for each opponent actually devotes some of that time to "drama". That's a cliche every "sports journalist" copies from every other one and we all repeat it endlessly.

I don't think that a coaching staff spending 12-16 hours a day coming up with game plans for each opponent actually devotes some of that time to "drama". That's a cliche every "sports journalist" copies from every other one and we all repeat it endlessly.

Repeated probably because players are affected by external things and injuries to O lines.

Repeated probably because players are affected by external things and injuries to O lines.

O-lines injuries I'll buy. The other stuff, no way. Harbaugh was still one of the top HCs in the league. You want to see that team really fall apart--wait until they get a load of the clown the owner picked for HC. The league has rarely seen such a HC drop off in a single year.

here's the thing.. if Roman can build a running attack that out-numbers the defense at the poa, then the defense will be forced to bring men up to neutralize that advantage. when this happens, Roman and his assistants must confirm that the opposing DC has his players keying on who Roman thought they would - and as the game unfolds - they must recognize how and when the DC changes who they're keying on instead. I think Roman is very much up to the task, and will be prepared to coordinate his offense at a level deeper than Marrone and Hackett could imagine. Roman will move defenders by formation and motion. he'll create situations where the defense must leave itself vulnerable.. where single 'key' defenders are put in a position of trying to defend two things at once, and thus.. can be optioned.

i'm thinking Roman's QBs will be well prepared to read this 'key', and choose to either throw to the receiver who's route takes him into the area Roman expects the 'key' defender will abandon - or to the receiver whose route takes him into the area Roman's 'key' defender is not defending because he either missed or chose not to act on the offensive 'key' Roman gave him. a passing game that can option coverage simplifies the QB's decision making.

it will all work off the running attack. we're going to be facing a lot of 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 nickel defenses employing 3 safeties, and if we're successful on the ground - at least one, and maybe two of those safeties will have to be brought up to make tackles after their LBs try to take out our blockers. this should create the aforementioned vulnerability in the secondary. one of our big problems last year was the fact that our running attack didn't demand that kind of attention. DCs were able to contain us in the secondary without sacrificing defenders to the los.

a heck of a lot is riding on our ability to consistently get more men playside than the defense is prepared for, and forcing to bring help. with that in mind, the additions of Clay and Felton cannot be applauded enough. Roman knows exactly what he wants to build, and he and Kromer know where we may be deficient. even if we don't break camp with the perfect player at each O-line position, they'll be given enough personnel to gameplan an advantage.

seeing the coaching staff, front office, and ownership all pulling in the same direction continues to be a real treat.. and although our current roster of QBs bring varying skills and experience to the job, i'm very confident that any of them will be able to execute what Roman draws up.

they couldn't get the big $$ O lineman they wanted , so they went and got Top TEs and blocking FBs ... gotta like that. their personnel moves have been stellar for 12-18 mos now. get your popcorn.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I keep hearing this argument about making opposing defenses bring more into the box, but we've never proven we can make accurate throws downfield with enough consistency where it's a benefit to us. When that happens, THEN, it will be an advantage

TE down the seam baby!