This was once a Garrett Grayson thread

It's certainly possible that they think they can get someone to trade up to 50 for him on draft day if that team wants Grayson and think the bills do too. I don't necessarily think the bills want more late picks in this draft but they could, for example, trade down one of two spots and gain a 4th round pick out of it. Or turn our 5th into a 4th.That could be pretty important bargaining chip or pick.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecil Lammey covers the Denver Broncos but sees a lot of csu and had this to say fwiw

@CecilLammey: @K1NGDAN I like the way he uses his eyes to manipulate the defense, best QB at Sr Bowl this year, good under pressure, needs motion work

Oh no, not again....

EJ is better, in my opinion, than Winston and Mariotta. But I guess we'll see soon enough. I pity the team who drafts Winston; he is a headcase. Being athletic doesn't make a good QB in the NFL like it does in college.

Granted your taking a chance with Winston's character issues but the tangible skill set between Winston & Manuel is not even close & for you to say anything different tells me you haven't watched Winston play these last 2 years. Winston is miles ahead of EJ in this department.

Agreed again. Folks pretend like every situation is the same when they are compeltely different. If EJ goes to Philly, for instance, as a 2nd rounder and learns under Kelly, he is probably a much different player. It happens all the time. Russell Wilson isn't the same player in Jacksonville.

That said, assuming the oline gets ironed up, there are no excuses for a QB this year. Personally, the idea of wasting a higher pick on a so so QB makes me annoyed.

It's the old saying that if the Pats knew Brady would be Brady, they wouldn't have waited till the 6th round. It's a common refrain that EJ wasn't ready, but I think the reality is the team around him wasn't ready. We put him out there his first year without a #1 WR, Chandler at TE, an inexperienced/bad oline and St. Doug and Can't Hackett in his ear begging him not to screw up. If you go back and watch the games, it's tough to argue he didn't do as well as reasonably could be expected given the hand he was dealt.

Looking at last year, I really have to wonder when Marrone made the decision he was leaving and when Orton decided he was retiring. Not putting EJ back in to gain more real experience in the Pats game week 17 tells me Marrone only cared about putting a winning season on his resume, not the long term growth. Given all we know now, 9-7 might have been an underachievement. A QB needs the environment to grow in, again Luck is a generational talent, grading anyone on that curve is asinine.

Granted your taking a chance with Winston's character issues but the tangible skill set between Winston & Manuel is not even close & for you to say anything different tells me you haven't watched Winston play these last 2 years. Winston is miles ahead of EJ in this department.

Here's what I see from statistics for 2 years of starting:

EJ - 700 passes; 67% completion; 7,000 yards; 284 rushes; 450 yards. Total yardage - 7450

JW - 851 passes; 66% completion; 8,000 yards; 210 rushes. 284 yards. Total yardage - 8284

I'd still take Manuel any day of the week over Winston.

The vibe here in Columbus puts me in a spot where I'd be very surprised if Cardale isn't the guy. People appreciate all Braxton has done and JT is very well respected for his decision making, but Cardale just has the "it" factor and is going to get the bulk of first team reps the entire offseason program. The offense looked completely different with Cardale at QB and it was running the same plays it had all year, his arm strikes fear in defenses the way the other two guys don't, which opens up everything underneath for Elliot / Marshall / Wilson.

I can't believe they all stayed there & none of them transferred. I mean all three guys could pretty much start anywhere in the country & two of them are going to be sitting on the pine this fall. Not quite sure how Urban is going to manage that.

EJ - 700 passes; 67% completion; 7,000 yards; 284 rushes; 450 yards. Total yardage - 7450

JW - 851 passes; 66% completion; 8,000 yards; 210 rushes. 284 yards. Total yardage - 8284

I wouldn't, Winston is worth the gamble with the off field issues. His ceiling is way higher then Manuel's.

It's the old saying that if the Pats knew Brady would be Brady, they wouldn't have waited till the 6th round.

sure they would have. the Patriots are the Patriots because they understand player value and they get players to fit their schemes and not the other way around. they get players for cheap knowing that they are there to fill a role and they understand the market well enough to get these players at bottom dollar and then get them to buy in to the organization which then allows them to keep them for bottom dollar even after the player has some success. i think with Brady they knew what they were getting and what his value was. why would they waste a 1st round pick on him knowing he was still going to be there in the 6th? from what i've read though, they did have him very highly ranked though but they also knew that other teams didn't.

if the Bills think Grayson is someone like that then why would they allow reports to leak about how they like him? all that does is tell another team like Cleveland that might want him too that the Bills want him in possibly the 3rd so they will try and get him first. i would take any reports about such and such team liking such and such player with a grain of salt right before the draft. we didn't hear anything about the Bills liking EJ before the draft. in fact, it was all about how we liked Nassib. smoke and mirrors!

I can't believe they all stayed there & none of them transferred. I mean all three guys could pretty much start anywhere in the country & two of them are going to be sitting on the pine this fall. Not quite sure how Urban is going to manage that.

Braxton isn't going to be throwing until July. Short of him following Herrman to Houston he would be learning a brand new system without the ability to do anymore than walk through it. He wasn't going to go to a team more loaded than OSU this year, it makes more sense for him to stick in Columbus, worst case end his playing career as an OSU legend who will always be able to find work on the radio here/playing golf with clients for some local business/appearing in John Deere commercials (local joke). I believe it's been reported Oregon was pursuing Vernon Adams over Braxton and Alabama/Florida St. have their own blue chip QB prospects they'd likely go with if Braxton was not clearly beating them out.

JT sees the long view. He knows either Cardale plays well and goes pro, or he doesn't and the job is open again. These 3 are like brothers with each other. JT was in Cardale's ear every time he came to the sideline while he was playing. They are also all drinking the Urban kool aide hard. Locally it's really not that shocking that they all stuck around and them fighting over the team enough to damage the potential success is nothing more than a fake storyline ESPN will create to drive ratings.

You would? Right now the Bills don't have a starting QB and you would want to keep it that way?

The vibe here in Columbus puts me in a spot where I'd be very surprised if Cardale isn't the guy. People appreciate all Braxton has done and JT is very well respected for his decision making, but Cardale just has the "it" factor and is going to get the bulk of first team reps the entire offseason program. The offense looked completely different with Cardale at QB and it was running the same plays it had all year, his arm strikes fear in defenses the way the other two guys don't, which opens up everything underneath for Elliot / Marshall / Wilson.

here is what I have heard from my buddy who coaches HS and has a kid getting recruited so was a winter conditioning and spring practice. Cardale is the best qb by far as a total package, and has clearly separated himself, but urban LOVES Braxton. The issue with JT is that he is ahead of schedule with the ankle and so he is able to do more than they thought in spring, whereas we thought we would only see cardale. I think he will end up the backup. Braxton is throwing but not far. I pray that he sees the $$$ potential of becoming an h-back in this system. I think he could be a dynamic NFL h-back. It all depends on how that shoulder holds up as to what he will be open to. At the end of the day I be surprised if Cardale isn't under center when they open the season in Blacksburg. His arm is ridiculous and that is what sprung Elliott all over the place in those 3 games. Edited by YoloinOhio

Lmao. You going to list all his good picks or nah? Let's look at all the GMs in the NFL and never trust their scouting again as we cherry pick the players they drafted that we don't think are good yet. Fun!

NEWS FLASH: HE'S HAD SOME BIG MISSES.

You would? Right now the Bills don't have a starting QB and you would want to keep it that way?

I guess that's where we differ. I think EJ is the starter. It's okay not to agree 100% of the time.

As far as Whaley (this is for jester), name a GM who's done a better job with his team in the last year.

here is what I have heard from my buddy who coaches HS and has a kid getting recruited so was a winter conditioning and spring practice. Cardale is the best qb by far as a total package, but urban LOVES Braxton. The issue with JT is that he is ahead of schedule with the ankle and so he is able to do more than they thought in spring, whereas we thought we would only see cardale. Braxton is throwing but not far. I pray that he sees the $$$ potential of becoming an h-back in this system. I think he could be a dynamic NFL h-back. It all depends on how that shoulder holds up as to what he will be open to. At the end of the day I be surprised if Cardale isn't under center when they open the season in Blacksburg.

Urban LOVES all 3. He's continually gushed about how much the story of Cardale Jones can impact kids in poor situations. He loves the guts Braxton has shown, how he could be "woe is me" with everything that's happened but never showed a hint of that attitude. They also brought in two more guys in this class in Gibson & Burrow who could start day 1 at 50+ division 1 programs.

I expect Cardale to be the QB with Braxton on the field a lot. My concern is this isn't Indiana, Jalin Marshall and Zeke are among the very best in the nation at what they do. Mike Thomas is going to be a 1st round pick. Everyone on the team says there's guys in practice who don't even see the field on Saturdays that would blow peoples minds. I think that gets lost a lot with the "just put Braxton at H-Back" crowd. I'm drinking the Kool Aide as hard as anyone else, but I expect there's going to be plenty of opportunities for everyone to get snaps as there's going to be more than a few games put away by halftime.