Countdown: *Tank is Over!*

QCity

After all games played through 4/2, the magic #'s (in points, and reflecting tiebreakers) are:

Buffalo: 8

Arizona: 13

Edmonton: 16

In order for the tiebreaker to flip to Arizona, the Sabres would have to win at least 4 (of 5 remaining) games prior to a shootout while the Coyotes don't win any prior to SO but still win 3 games. To flip the tiebreaker with the Oilers would require the Sabres winning all 5 prior to OT with the Oilers winning 1 in a SO and losing a shootout. So, long story short, the tiebreakers AREN'T flipping.

There are currently 18 points available between Buffalo / Edmonton. There are currently 20 points available between Buffalo / Arizona. No more H-t-H's between the 3 teams. Sabres need 3 points to break their way to eliminate Edmonton so they could go 3-1-1 and still clinch 29th regardless of what Edmonton does. Sabres control their own destiny for 30th and maintain that by going no better than 1-4-0. (Any points picked up by Arizona adds equally to the points the Sabres can pick up, obviously.)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After an electrifying loss to Chicago the Magic Number is now down to 3

Right now the Sabres "lead" is two points. We have the tiebreaker. Assuming AZ goes winless, we can only go 1-3-0, 0-3-1, 0-2-2 or 0-4-0 to maintain our lead. Last four games are @NYI, CAR, @COL and PIT.

We averted a disaster Friday.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

After all games played into 4/4, the magic #'s (in points, and reflecting tiebreakers) are:

Buffalo: 4

Arizona: 11

Tiebreaker can't flip, so a tie goes to Sabres.

There are currently 14 points available between Buffalo / Edmonton. There are currently 14 points available between Buffalo / Arizona. No more H-t-H's between the 3 teams. Sabres needed 1 point to break their way to eliminate Edmonton and they got it, so Edmonton was eliminated tonight. Sabres control their own destiny for 30th and maintain that by going no better than 1-2-0. (Any points picked up by Arizona adds equally to the points the Sabres can pick up, obviously.)

Edited by Taro T

Right now the Sabres "lead" is two points. We have the tiebreaker. Assuming AZ goes winless, we can only go 1-3-0, 0-3-1, 0-2-2 or 0-4-0 to maintain our lead. Last four games are @NYI, CAR, @COL and PIT.

The first post in this thread is updated after every game.

After tonight's loss to the Islanders the Magic Number is now down to 2

Other notes:

It is no longer mathematically possible for the Sabres to win the tiebreaker (if tied, we finish last)

It is no longer mathematically possible for Edmonton to finish last (not that anyone cares)

After tonight's loss to the Islanders the Magic Number is now down to 2

2 what? We need two more losses?

Other notes:

It is no longer mathematically possible for the Sabres to win the tiebreaker (if tied, we finish last)

It is no longer mathematically possible for Edmonton to finish last (not that anyone cares)

After all games played into 4/4, the magic #'s (in points, and reflecting tiebreakers) are:

Buffalo: 2

Arizona: 11

Tiebreaker can't flip, so a tie goes to Sabres.

There are currently 12 points available between Buffalo / Arizona. No more H-t-H's between the 2 teams. Sabres control their own destiny for 30th and maintain that by going no better than 2-1-0. (Any points picked up by Arizona adds equally to the points the Sabres can pick up, obviously.)

So I'm sure I'm answering my own question here, but the magic number is 1 now because we somehow own the tiebreaker?

Yup. We lose once and its over.

Edited by QCity

So I'm sure I'm answering my own question here, but the magic number is 1 now because we somehow own the tiebreaker?

Yup. Tiebreaker is ROW. Yotes gave 19. Sabres have 14. W/ only 3 left, Sabres have the edge.