3-20 Rex Ryan interview on WGR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing how a QB can play when coached properly and schemed correctly. Not to mention when he has a strong, strong team around him. It is just more than a little short sited by National media types (no surpise) to put more on the QB than it really is. I am confident we will get the QB play we need.

I saw a sports science show on EJ. The guy is not inaccurate. In fact he scored as high as anyone on that show. I love how everyone here thinks he has accuracy issues. He was poorly coached and it effected his timing. EJ is young and and trying to put it together at the NFL level. Give him a coach that actually is experienced at drawing up plays and he can be very good. Get some wins under his belt and watch what happens. All he needs is to feel it!

Amen,... if this post becomes accurate, this will be a crazy season!

EJ's #1 problem is that he's afraid to cut it loose. You would think Rex would be as good as any coach in making EJ pull the trigger and play with some swagger.

Agreed.

Geno never seemed to have a problem doing it.

Exactly.

But EJ is no Geno. And visa versa.

(that's a good thing for us)

Sounds like they're expecting/hoping EJ emerges as the starter.

Anyone else pick up on that?

I think he was being careful in his wording to say that it is an open competition. He even corrected himself twice to include a fourth in the mix with Tuel. I do say that he was rather glowing about the skill set that he thinks EJ has, but he started the conversation with bringing in "a veteran".

He said he likes that EJ is a real gym-rat.

He also mentioned Taylor, said he's probably the fastest QB in the league; then something about the read option...

I'm sure they are going to have sub-packages designed for just for him.

He also mentioned Taylor, said he's probably the fastest QB in the league; then something about the read option...

I'm sure they are going to have sub-packages designed for just for him.

Did Ryan indicate which O-Lineman on the Bills was going to run the Butt-Fumble? I am guessing that it has to be (preferrably) someone with a big yet cushy ass.

I woulda rather have had Crabtree over Harvin....but I really want lineman!

Crabtree isn't half the playmaker Percy Harvin is.

I saw a sports science show on EJ. The guy is not inaccurate. In fact he scored as high as anyone on that show. I love how everyone here thinks he has accuracy issues. He was poorly coached and it effected his timing. EJ is young and and trying to put it together at the NFL level. Give him a coach that actually is experienced at drawing up plays and he can be very good. Get some wins under his belt and watch what happens. All he needs is to feel it!

If I'm not mistaking EJ Manuel has the ACC record for completion percentage coming out of college

Right and the aquisition of Taylor would support the possibility of its use. But sort of leaves Cassel as the odd man out.

I sort of interpreted it as the opposite. Basically, "the team is stacked and we need someone to not be a liability." The safe route if you will.

We all want a proven winning QB. If one is not available what is the best alternative?

That is why I spefically used a bubble screen as an example. I could make that play at QB. If they needed someone to throw 25 yard outs it would be a different story. A BIG part of the reason that the Bills would pursue a guy like Harvin is because he can take a jet sweep, reverse, bubble screen or quick slant to the house. They are quick developing, easy throws. Those types of plays from the QB position every guy on the roster is capable of making.

I agree with you and it's probably the logic of our FO. I also believe they've done the best job they can with the QB position. Just don't share all of your QB optimism as defenses adjust.

Hopefully our young O-linemen take a big step forward so our QB can have the time. Also, watching Hoyer and Orton last year, I think at least part of why they slumped mid/late season was the scouts figuring out their weaknesses and adjusting the defense to it.

Yeah, the way SF did with Kaepernick and Alex Smith

@mikerodak: The former offensive coordinator who worked with Kaepernick and Alex Smith will likely run things similar to how he ran things with Kaepernick and Alex Smith. ESPN has paid me to share this opinion with you.

Did I make that tweet up? Yes. Would you be shocked if I hadn't?

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I agree with you and it's probably the logic of our FO. I also believe they've done the best job they can with the QB position. Just don't share all of your QB optimism as defenses adjust.

Hopefully our young O-linemen take a big step forward so our QB can have the time. Also, watching Hoyer and Orton last year, I think at least part of why they slumped mid/late season was the scouts figuring out their weaknesses and adjusting the defense to it.

Oh, I totally agree. Just to be clear I'm not particularly optimistic about the QB situation. I just think that the way that the offense is designed allows these guys to maximize their talent. They are better with Harvin types than more traditional WRs like a Fitzgerald because they will be able to get the ball in their hands. Edited by Kirby Jackson

@mikerodak: The former offensive coordinator who worked with Kaepernick and Alex Smith will likely run things similar to how he ran things with Kaepernick and Alex Smith. ESPN has paid me to share this opinion with you.

Did I make that tweet up? Yes. Would you be shocked if I hadn't?

i like the idea of starting a thread of fake rodak tweets. maybe we can toss some omar and lacanfora in there too