Rivers in 2016?

It is fine that he likes EJ so much but it is not fathomable to have reservations about trading EJ for Brees or Rivers. Obviously, neither the Chargers or Saints would ever even consider this. I was trying to see where the line was. Apparently the 4th leading passer of all-time coming off roughly a 5,000 yard season is still on the "no" side of the ledger.

He paints into more corners than Picasso.

The problem is that all of his posts derive from the EJ crusade subtext. How else can you otherwise claim Brees is past his prime? Why else would you ask for qualifiers (or "guarantees") in your straight up trade proposal?

It is entertaining.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Rivers was born in Alabama, went to North Carolina St and has played in San Diego for his entire NFL career so I don't think it's likely Buffalo would make his list of teams he'd be interested in.

He has seven kids and may not move LA if the team does ! seriously.

He paints into more corners than Picasso.

The problem is that all of his posts derive from the EJ crusade subtext. How else can you otherwise claim Brees is past his prime? Why else would you ask for qualifiers (or "guarantees") in your straight up trade proposal?

It is entertaining.

Get some sleep

The majrity of the "EJ Fan Boyz" are not calling him great. We are saying it is too early to call him a complete bust.

If you can not grasp that then there is no help for you.

Get some sleep

The majrity of the "EJ Fan Boyz" are not calling him great. We are saying it is too early to call him a complete bust.

If you can not grasp that then there is no help for you.

The part that is disturbing to most of us is that we would instantly trade "too early to call a bust" for the 4th all-time leading passer coming off of a 4900+ yard season.

The part that is disturbing to most of us is that we would instantly trade "too early to call a bust" for the 4th all-time leading passer coming off of a 4900+ yard season.

The disturbing part is that he refers to the "EJ Fan Boyz" in the third person.

All of us, I think.

Edited by FireChan

I'm late to this party and I am a member of the EJ 'boyz.' That allegiance, however, ends with this hypothetical trade. It's a no brainer. Git 'er done couldn't be said fast enough.

Kirby...

Enough with the references to the "polls" that are worded / presented in ways that can be misleading. Can you be honest for a minute?

QB's 2014 passing yards - that people here wanted over EJ -

4,045 yds team finished 8-8

3,812 yds team finished 5-11

2,163 yds team finished 10-6

2,483 yds team finished 9-7

3,475 yds team finished 12-4

great passing stats people would LOVE to have

4,694 yds team finished 6-10

4,952 yds team finished 7-9

4,410 yds team finished 6-10

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Kirby...

Enough with the references to the "polls" that are worded / presented in ways that can be misleading. Can you be honest for a minute?

It takes a whole team to win games. I live in New Orleans and see every Saints game. They are not any good but Brees makes them better. If you sub EJ for him on that team they are 2-14 & not 7-9. If you put Brees on the Bills they are 12-4 or 13-3 and not 9-7. As usual, I am failing to see your point? The Saints won 7 games BECAUSE of Brees and the Bills won 9 game DESPITE their QB play. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kirby...

Brees has led his offense to the number 1 ranking in 2 of the last 4 years (2nd and 4th the other 2 years). Are you saying that's not good enough for the Bills? That EJ might do better? That passing for a lot of yards in and of itself results in losing records?

Come on--spit it out already...

I'm late to this party and I am a member of the EJ 'boyz.' That allegiance, however, ends with this hypothetical trade. It's a no brainer. Git 'er done couldn't be said fast enough.

Of course it is a no brainer. Even trying to formulate an argument to the contrary makes absolutely zero sense.

It takes a whole team to win games. I live in New Orleans and see every Saints game. They are not any good but Brees makes them better. If you sub EJ for him on that team they are 2-14 & not 7-9. If you put Brees on the Bills they are 12-4 or 13-3 and not 9-7. As usual, I am failing to see your point? The Saints won 7 games BECAUSE of Brees and the Bills won 9 game DESPITE their QB play.

Yet you are arguing the stats of just 1 man here!!

I love Drew, but Drew isn't the whole package!!!

My stats disprove the 4,900 passing yard argument you 2 or 3 are trying to make.

SB Winner 4,109 passing Yards

SB Runner up 3,475 passing Yards

Brees 4,952 passing Yards, AND no playoffs

All that for NADA, ZIP, ZERO

Here's another analogy, Signing Brees is a kin to signing Flutie. The goal is not to win but to fill the stadium seats.

In closing ... continue your "arguments" all you want. I've said my piece and will move on to another topic.

Good Day y'all

My stats argue the 4,900 passing yard argument you 2 or 3 are trying to make.

Here's another analogy, Signing Brees is a kin to signing Flutie. The goal is not to win but to fill the stadium seats.

In closing ... continue your "arguments" all you want. I've said my piece and will move on to another topic.

Good Day y'all

What?!? Have you ever seen Drew Brees play?!? He has thrown for more yards than Tom Brady!! In addition, he has won a Super Bowl. You look crazier and crazier with each post. Trading for Drew Brees would ABSOLUTELY be about trying to win a Super Bowl!! Your team is an offensive lineman and a QB away from being as good as any team in the league. Trading for the 4TH LEADING PASSER OF ALL-TIME would fill one of those needs.

If you told EJ Manuel 'hey, we have a chance to trade you straight up for Drew Brees" even he would think that you are nuts not to pull the trigger. This is seriously more asinine than Mario for Skelton.

My stats disprove the 4,900 passing yard argument you 2 or 3 are trying to make.

Good Day y'all

Every post reveals more gold!!

And your stats disprove your own theory.

I can't believe I'm even pointing this out. I'm starting to feel bad...

Edited by Mr. WEO

What?!? Have you ever seen Drew Brees play?!? He has thrown for more yards than Tom Brady!! In addition, he has won a Super Bowl. You look crazier and crazier with each post. Trading for Drew Brees would ABSOLUTELY be about trying to win a Super Bowl!! Your team is an offensive lineman and a QB away from being as good as any team in the league. Trading for the 4TH LEADING PASSER OF ALL-TIME would fill one of those needs.

If you told EJ Manuel 'hey, we have a chance to trade you straight up for Drew Brees" even he would think that you are nuts not to pull the trigger. This is seriously more asinine than Mario for Skelton.

Do you pay attention to what I post?

My wife and ergo I watch the Aints whenever the Bills are not playing in the same time slot.

Every post reveals more gold!!

And your stats disprove your own theory.

I can't believe I'm even pointing this out. I'm starting to feel bad...

Dear Mr Cranky.

Stop being an idiot. Might I suggest that you go out and get laid. you might start making sense when the blond flow returns to your head.

If you don't like what I am saying DO NOT RESPOND!

It must be feeding time, the Trolls are out in droves.

You seem like the biggest troll in this thread right now... I have been sitting back reading this thread.

Just saying Brees=Flutie... Doesn't get more troll then that.

Edited by Beef Jerky

...and I have seen every game that he has started for the last 8 years. Obviously, we are watching different games.

Did I ever say Drew SUCKED? No I did not. So please give it a rest. You are fabricating your fictional thoughts and pretending that I am saying it.

The Lunatics have escaped the Asylum Good Bye.

Just saying Brees=Flutie... Doesn't get more troll then that.

Again, you missed the point. good day

Im arriving late to the party.

Love the cat fight going on.

Anyway my 2 cents:

Throw the wife, the farm, the son, the city, everything for Aaron Rodgers

Throw the farm and the son for Drew Brees.

Throw a 1st round pick for Rivers. That's it. I talk to a lot of charger fans. They think HE is what is holding back the team. Is he an upgrade to anything we have? Yes. But would hate being that stupid team giving 100million contract at this stage of his career. He's not worth that kind of money anymore. I would be ok with 5 year 60 with 25 guaranteed. Not one penny more. Ok one penny more.

Dareus, EJ, Cassel, & this year's 2nd for Rivers? I'm not predicting it, it's probably not possible, but Alonso for McCoy was pretty crazy, too. They both have 1 year left on their contracts. Rivers wants out, wants to have a chance to win before his career is over, and he's a small town guy at heart. Dareus is clearly bored of the Buffalo nightlife and wants to live it up in San Diego or preferably LA. If you're going to beat Manning in the AFC West, you have to get in his face and Dareus helps you do that. If Rivers is serious about leaving after one year because your franchise is moving to a city he doesn't want to live in, why not get something for him while you still can? Take the extra 2nd, package it with SD's other 2nd and a 1st, maybe they move up and take Mariota. Him with EJ and Cassel sets you up pretty well at quarterback, certainly more so than empty-handed next year. It worked out pretty well last time when Rivers' arrival sent Brees packing, right?

San Diego can extend Dareus and essentially become the Dolphins which is who they are right now anyway except that they have an aging quarterback that's too good for them; let Rivers play out his 1-year contract here. He's surrounded by weapons. If he can take this loaded team deep into the playoffs or to a championship, that's a much bigger pay-day on the other side for your last professional contract than it would be to maybe go 9-7 again in San Diego.

Edited by LA Grant

I live in vista which is north san diego county. All I can say is thank you to all the people involved who put up so many obstacles to our team leaving town and thank you to the Pegulas for what they've done. The fear here is palpable and there is a bit of a sense of resignation. I know from living here that fans love their Chargers and it is heartbreaking to see this process unfold. At the same time I'm so happy that it wasn't the Bills. Speaking for myself, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to just talk about football for once. For the longest time this black cloud hung over our franchise and any discussion I had with other fans. i'm just going to enjoy this season and the seasons to come for both the Sabres and the Bills because you don't really appreciate the things you have until they're almost taken away.

rumors I heard

Rivers says he won't move to LA so Skins rumors started

That is kind of interesting. The Skins seem to be interested in every QB that becomes available. I wonder if their interest is genuine or if they are trying to use their QB interest as a smokescreen for someone to fall in the draft? I wouldn't even know who that player is though. Maybe Fowler?

I just realized that--given Rivers' cap number for 2015 of $17.4M--it would cost SD at least $20.88M to franchise tag him for 2016 vis-a-vis the CBA rule that requires a minimum 20% increase over the previous year's salary cap figure when applying the tag.

Looking at the 2015 cap hits--provided that no QBs get new contracts that break into the top 10, here's what the tag numbers would look like for Rivers:

Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag (average of top 5 QB cap hits over last 5 years or 120 percent of player's previous season cap hit, whichever is greater) - $20.88M

Exclusive Franchise Tag (average of top 5 QB cap hits from previous season or 120 percent of player's previous season cap hit, whichever is greater) - $22.334M

Transition Tag (average of top 10 QB cap hits from previous season)- $19.805M

I think they're going to have to let him go (or tag and trade) unless he signs a new deal, as playing under that one-year guaranteed deal is rather impractical.

That is kind of interesting. The Skins seem to be interested in every QB that becomes available. I wonder if their interest is genuine or if they are trying to use their QB interest as a smokescreen for someone to fall in the draft? I wouldn't even know who that player is though. Maybe Fowler?

your guess is as good a mine. they brought McCoy back so its Cousins McCoy and RGIII

your guess is as good a mine. they brought McCoy back so its Cousins McCoy and RGIII

They are as dysfunctional as the Raiders and Browns. I think that the biggest issue with those 3 teams is that they have absolutely no plan. They just wing it constantly. Maybe the Raiders are a little different in that they are just too broke to pay people so no one wants to go there. The Browns and Redskins though seem to change their direction every year. It is just bad ownership I guess.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Rumors floating around twitter this morning are that Rivers wife wants to go to Buffalo. This may be Rivers using his leverage to force a trade to a contender if traded. She apparently doesn't want to go to the Titans. Take it FWIW. Twitter rumors are what they are and I'm sure that plenty more will be out there this week.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Rumors floating around twitter this morning are that Rivers wife wants to go to Buffalo. This may be Rivers using his leverage to force a trade to a contender if traded. She apparently doesn't want to go to the Titans. Take it FWIW. Twitter rumors are what they are and I'm sure that plenty more will be out there this week.

i heard this as well, interestingly the GM who said he won't trade him is from Buffalo! Edited by YoloinOhio

are you implying Twitter is for twits?