Chris Borland retiring after rookie season with SF

frogger

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, is this is a bombshell story. Niners gonna be in the running for the top pick in '16. Total implosion of the organization since the midpoint of last season.

I think the discussion is more about a healthy player retiring after 1 season due to fear of the impact of the game rather than how bad the niners will be as a result

I think both are discussion worthy.

Lost their HC to a D3 JuCo criminal laden ugly wanna be college team.

Had some of their oldest players leave

Have a ton of money tied up in players that didn't produce in 2014

Now loss this guy?

Rough offseason

I think the discussion is more about a healthy player retiring after 1 season due to fear of the impact of the game rather than how bad the niners will be as a result

I think most people can manage to separate multiple angles of the same story, but I completely agree with your overall point. When I first saw the headline, I thought that he was already having complications from previous head injuries. For him to be a healthy guy (with a ton of promise) who is just looking out for himself in the long term is indeed stunning.

I think most people can manage to separate multiple angles of the same story, but I completely agree with your overall point. When I first saw the headline, I thought that he was already having complications from previous head injuries. For him to be a healthy guy (with a ton of promise) who is just looking out for himself in the long term is indeed stunning.

I just found it interesting that the majority of initial responses were regarding how this will effect the 49ers upcoming season

yep definitely two angles. There is indeed a max exodus of players from SF. And a 24 yr old guy who was one of the best rookies in the league last year hang it up so soon over head injury concerns. Jed York and Roger Goodell are both a little worried right now.

@PB_Number2: Prayers up for @ChrisDec26 !! #OhioBoys

Preston is from Cincy and Borland is from Dayton.

@ESPNNFL: Chris Borland said he had just 2 diagnosed concussions:

8th grade - playing soccer

Soph yr of HS - playing football. http://t.co/TVpAvsChIZ

Edited by YoloinOhio

Goodell's failure to acknowledge CTE in any meaningful way is what really needs to be discussed. No NFL dedicated testing, awareness campaigns, research or funding for afflicted ex-players. Plenty of time and money for breast cancer awareness and abused women, but not one penny of marketing promotions dedicated to the disease that directly afflicts the players as a result of the game itself.

The hypocrisy disgusts me. It would be like the military pretending PTSD didn't exist while promoting awareness of fibromyalgia. Goodell needs to get real with this disease, and start supporting the wounded warriors of the NFL whose lives are at real risk within a few years of retirement. THAT should be the fallout of this story.

He must be pretty convinced. I read that he would owe significant money back to SF from his signing bonus. After 1 year in the league, I'm sure he's not sitting on a pile of cash. Even if he banked it all,

the IRS got a bunch of it. I wonder how he'll afford the payment back to the 49ers. That was the big deal with Ricky Williams' un-retirement, IIRC. Miami went after his signing bonus.