Okayest QB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Alex Smith as the current median example, but I actually think is he "just barely" ok. So, I would consider career "ok" QBs to be slightly better than Alex Smith, but not quite Matt Hasselbeck, who was actually a pretty good QB, but doesn't get as much credit. Brad Johnson is a solid choice here and may be the best choice. I think Phil Simms would have a better reputation if we didn't have to hear him bloviate every year, but if you consider him ok, I would like our chances this year with a Phil Simms at QB..

Currently in the league I would Say Alex Smith is the line. Smith is the standard middle QB. Probably the 15th to 16th best QB in the league. If you have a QB that's better than him you have a pretty good one. If you have one that's worse you better hope its a young QB who could develop.

In the past I would say Chad Pennington after his first injury was the classic example.

This ^^

Alex Smith is such a good example that we often talk about getting "an Alex Smith level of play" from the QB. That is exactly what that means.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yeah I'm gonna need an explanation on this one too. My guess is that you're going to say their job was harder, which correlates none to them being better.

Qbs the Bills used to play: Moon, Montana, Elway, Marino, Cunningham, Young, Kosar, Simms, Aikman, Esiason, etc.

The rules are a joke now. You can't touch receivers. IF you get hit too hard, it's a penalty. If you breathe on a QB, it's 15 yards. The rules are so much easier now than freaking Matt Stafford can throw for 5,000 yards. Kelly never went over 4,000! Every passing record/ receiving record set now show have a giant *.

I'm off my old guy soapbox now.

Neil O'Donnell

Good choice. Meh O'Donnell. He just handed the SB MVP (and a big contract) to Larry Brown.

Qbs the Bills used to play: Moon, Montana, Elway, Marino, Cunningham, Young, Kosar, Simms, Aikman, Esiason, etc.

The rules are a joke now. You can't touch receivers. IF you get hit too hard, it's a penalty. If you breathe on a QB, it's 15 yards. The rules are so much easier now than freaking Matt Stafford can throw for 5,000 yards. Kelly never went over 4,000! Every passing record/ receiving record set now show have a giant *.

Good choice. Meh O'Donnell. He just handed the SB MVP (and a big contract) to Larry Brown.

I don't disagree with anything you said whatsoever. However that doesn't mean that if Aaron Rodgers played in Bernie Kosar's day, although his numbers wouldn't be quite as spectacular, that he still wouldn't be way better than Bernie Kosar.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

This gets repeated here all the time, yet is there data to state that QBs now get hit less often than they did in the 90's? Did the QBs back then trow less because they were afraid to get hit?

Have roughing the passer "rules" decreased the number of hits QBs take? Have the number of penalties gone up every year since (whenever) they changed?

Get back to us on this...

This gets repeated here all the time, yet is there data to state that QBs now get hit less often than they did in the 90's? Did the QBs back then trow less because they were afraid to get hit?

Have roughing the passer "rules" decreased the number of hits QBs take? Have the number of penalties gone up every year since (whenever) they changed?

Get back to us on this...

Agreed also. And to further my point, if all of a sudden they made a rule that you're not allowed to get within 5 yards of Aaron Rodgers, that has nothing to do with how talented Aaron Rodgers is. Just because guys back then were supposedly "tougher," that doesn't make them better. Not to mention, football players today are in such better shape, work out so much harder, watch so much more film, etc. I'm inclined to think that a guy like Matthew Stafford would have been a hell of a QB in 1989.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agreed also. And to further my point, if all of a sudden they made a rule that you're not allowed to get within 5 yards of Aaron Rodgers, that has nothing to do with how talented Aaron Rodgers is. Just because guys back then were supposedly "tougher," that doesn't make them better. Not to mention, football players today are in such better shape, work out so much harder, watch so much more film, etc. I'm inclined to think that a guy like Matthew Stafford would have been a hell of a QB in 1989.

I agree. I think that the average D is much more complex than it was 20-30 years ago. More difficult now for QBs (successful ones, anyway) to excel.

so are you guys saying that Brady would have been road kill in the 90's?

The opposite, actually

I agree. I think that the average D is much more complex than it was 20-30 years ago. More difficult now for QBs (successful ones, anyway) to excel.

Brady would have been road kill in the 90's?

The opposite, actually

Cinderella Brady wouldn't have lasted 3 years back in the 90's WEO and you damn well know it

Christ the NFL implemented 2 or 3 "Brady" rules to protect his puny self!

I hope someone mentioned Frank Reich!

I thought about it but dissing Frank here seemed dangerous

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever