Scott Chandler RELEASED (Now signed by Pats)

KDIGGZ

1] It's not backwards logic, it's the fact of the quote and what it means. Chandler was likely never in the plans after they had weeks of meetings, discussed what the offense was going to look like with the players we have and want, and they got a chance to look at all the film.

2] There is FA and the draft and June 1 and training camp. The quote you referred to, as I said, is about who is on your team when you are playing. You think Gragg is going to be #1? No. You already know the answers to these questions.

3] You cut guys that cost to must for their perceived production. Chandler is a slow non blocking TE. He's not going to play much. So you cut guys like that because you know you are going to replace them with either guys who can do what you want them to or cheaper ones.

4] In all likelihood yes we would cut Chandler without Clay. We just did.

5] Because we still have OL and other positions to and players to sign, as evidenced by the three players they signed after Chandler was released and the holes that still exist.

Why not restructure first, is my question.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you restructure a guy you aren't 100% sure is gonna make your team. Chandler was on the bubble as it is.

GO BILLS!!!

I meant restructure Mario. If that frees up space, doesn't it make sense to do that before cutting even minimal assets like Chandler?

I meant restructure Mario. If that frees up space, doesn't it make sense to do that before cutting even minimal assets like Chandler?

Chandler has little to no place on this team. They want a TE that does one of three things and he does none of them. That doesn't mean he is a worthless player in the league, he's a decent pass catching TE and redzone threat. He would likely be #3 on this team because he cannot block and he isn't athletic. So he isn't worth 2.7m or whatever he was getting. I don't know this for sure but I doubt Clay had anything to do with it.

It's possible that without Clay they would have kept Chandler until they found a replacement but I somewhat doubt it by their actions.

There's a good chance you will see Mario do just that. If not this year, then certainly next. Whaley has alluded to keeping that option in his back pocket.

GO BILLS!!!

There's a good chance you will see Mario do just that. If not this year, then certainly next. Whaley has alluded to keeping that option in his back pocket.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, but is there a downside, to either to the team or the owner or to Mario that I'm missing?

Yes, but is there a downside, to either to the team or the owner or to Mario that I'm missing?

The only downside is that the cap hit in future years is bigger, which we don't want to do unless we need to. For the player, it's almost always better. Re-structure for a player is no sacrifice at all unless it involves a pay cut, which we wouldn't ask for I don't think.

You don't restructure unless you really have to do it because it may limit your options down the road