Investing, The Stock Market/Favorite Stocks & Retirement

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago at a Pinto tailgate I remember Kenny surveying the Sunday junkyard with the assorted misfits and debauchery stretched out before them and proclaiming to one of his kids "Someday, this will all be yours" ( and I think he was being serious)

Thats the problem, a financial planner wants all of them consolidated in one account, but then he offers only a limited amount of choices. Principal, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Fidelity and Transamerica are the ones, but they only offer the funds selection that give them the best incentives. I keep them separate, but their horizon/targets are all over the place. But at least with those five firms, I have multiple funds to choose from.

As for picking stocks, I am horrible, but once in a while you hit and it is rewarding. Lately I am looking at dividend returns, once a payment comes in, I will but a few shares of something I already have or have been looking at.

You're talking to the wrong guys.

Simple. I don't plan on living past 60. My kids are pretty smart and can fend for themselves just like I did. If I get old and medically fragile, I am going to pay someone to push me off a cliff in my wheelchair holding lit sticks of dynamite. It's the circle of life!!

My mother in law says she is going out indian style and will just wander off into the woods and die.

This is what I was getting at...I just didn't know if you could consolidate them all into a Rollover IRA (as the name implies, you roll multiple IRA's or 401k's into one account even though you are actively contributing to an existing 401k or IRA). You can manage the Rollover IRA on your own or with an investment company.

You can either roll them into your current 401k or you can roll them into your IRA, but I've never liked the idea of leaving a 401(k) behind at a former employer. Management changes, plans move, companies get bought and sold, etc.

You can either roll them into your current 401k or you can roll them into your IRA, but I've never liked the idea of leaving a 401(k) behind at a former employer. Management changes, plans move, companies get bought and sold, etc.

To your first point only if your current plan document allows it. And it's usually not a good idea seeing your choices are limited to the plan.

Portfolio allocation is for pussies. You say diversification, I say dilution of awesomeness. Grow some balls and go all in!!!

Jauronimo's Guide to Power Investing

1. Fall in love with it. You looked at the chart, read an article or two, and even took a peek at that balance sheet. Time to commit.

2. For every negative article you read, find 5 more which support your gut instinct.

3. Find someone who knows just as little as you do but has done even less research and bounce your ideas off them. Build consensus. You’re the smartest people you know. What’re the chances that you’re both wrong?

4. Buzzwords and multiples. Back up your specious investment thesis with as many positive indicating multiples and acronyms as you can. P/E, ROE, free cash yield, price to book, net asset value.

5. Overcoming objections. Your friends and family are jealous of your great ideas. They will try to tell you things like cash burn, trending poorly, deteriorating fundamentals, over valued. bull ****!! Do you even invest, bro?

6. One liners. After you put the naysayers in their place follow it up with a dismissive one liner and an arrogant laugh. Something from Wolf of Wall Street or a version of "thats what they're saying in 2008" or "have fun with your S&P tracking ETF, Buffet!"

Edited by Jauronimo

i have been investing in a small business for the past 5 years, i get pretty good returns for my $$. Sometimes I can't even remember what happened the previous day/night.

Liquidity is key. Keep your assets liquid and cold. Earn that ~5% yield.

I don't have the time or skill for stocks. When I tried, I mistimed the market or just bought duds.

So, now I just do an automatic transfer of $X per month from my bank account into a few vanguard large cap index funds. Low expense rate; nothing fancy. I think we have been doing this for like 5 years and have made a 30% return.

Niiice.

Portfolio allocation is for pussies. You say diversification, I say dilution of awesomeness. Grow some balls and go all in!!!

Jauronimo's Guide to Power Investing

• Fall in love with it. You looked at the chart, read an article or two, and even took a peek at that balance sheet. Time to commit.

• For every negative article you read, find 5 more which support your gut instinct.

• Find someone who knows just as little as you do but has done even less research and bounce your ideas off them. Build consensus. Youre the smartest people you know. Whatre the chances that youre both wrong?

• Buzzwords and multiples. Back up your specious investment thesis with as many positive indicating multiples and acronyms as you can. P/E, ROE, free cash yield, price to book, net asset value.

• Overcoming objections. Your friends and family are jealous of your great ideas. They will try to tell you things like cash burn, trending poorly, deteriorating fundamentals, over valued. bull ****!! Do you even invest, bro?

• One liners. After you put the naysayers in their place follow it up with a dismissive one liner and an arrogant laugh. Something from Wolf of Wall Street or a version of "thats what they're saying in 2008" or "have fun with your S&P tracking ETF, Buffet!"

"Power Investing" :) I've met this kind of guy at a few parties.

Here is my one and only macro thought that I am researching right now.

One of my friends is pretty high up exec at an insurance company. Their long term strategic plans contain plans on replacing car insurance premiums with other streams of income as self driving electric/hybrid carsbecome the norm by 2025

I am just now starting to investigate technologies that will enable that to happen....gogta believe will be a ton of money in that for some companies that become that "the standard"

I don't have the time or skill for stocks. When I tried, I mistimed the market or just bought duds.

So, now I just do an automatic transfer of $X per month from my bank account into a few vanguard large cap index funds. Low expense rate; nothing fancy. I think we have been doing this for like 5 years and have made a 30% return.

30% per year or cumulative over the last 5 years?