For all you old-time Buffalo sports fans out there

My sister and I appeared on some sort of TV show hosted by Kevin O'Connell which I think would have occurred at WIVB Channel 4 and/or WBEN (which were kind of the same thing back in the 1970s).

Anyone remember what show that would have been? With like 5 or 8 kids appearing on a kid-related TV show?

Strangely, all I really remember is being given a giant cardboard box filled with potato chips as a gift for appearing on the show, plus a T-shirt and some other stuff like that. I was into the chips though.

Were they Troyer Farms?

mEWWnBC10Ly4LEixt77ehXA.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 70's as a kid, I remember watching the weekly show on Channel 4, "Let's Talk Sports", with Van Miller, Stan Barron, Healy, & Rifenburg on the panel. Never really cared for any of them though, to us, they were 2nd-rate to Channel 7's Rick Azar & of course the late great Clip Smith. When Ed Kilgore came to town, he was a scrub at the bottom of the barrel, very very green.... he replaced Mike Nolan I think.

Clip Smith and his big teeth.

Were they Troyer Farms?

mEWWnBC10Ly4LEixt77ehXA.jpg

Ha ha ha. That's great!

I remember Troyer Farms but I want to say they were "WISE" potato chips.

I remember the cardboard box being sort of angled like a pentagon and being light blue and white, but that may be entirely wrong.

Still scarred from when Ultraman was taken off the air.

Looooooooooved Ultra-man as a kid! Used to watch it on WUTV - Channel 29. My now 12 year old & I saw an Ultra-man DVD at Target a couple of years ago. I told him about it & he asked me to buy it for him. Talk about a trip down memory lane. Wow.

Guys, thanks for the memories.

Yeah, "Bowling for Dollars" was great (for a minute there, I remembered it was hosted by Van Miller instead of Ed Kilgore, but that was "That's Academic").

For some reason, our favorite part was the guest bowlers who would pull out a small list of people to greet (" ... 'n my neighbor Tony, 'n the guys from the Chevy drivetrain nightshift, 'n the St. Mary's Knights of Columbus, 'n ..."), and just when you thought they were done, the list would suddenly unfurl, 3-feet long, and they would continue reading ("... 'n my mother-in-law, 'n Stash and Ronnie from my bowlin' team, 'n ..."). The audience would laugh, and my brothers and I would crack up at home. My sister's 6th-grade teacher appeared one time, and he whole neighborhood tuned in (he missed the spare and took home 9 bucks).

And Clip Smith! Who wrote his stuff? One of our all-time favorites: "And Michigan knocked Art Schlichter on his keeshter" ...

These guys were great. My favorite was Charley Bailey calling the hockey Bison games: "Your hockey games at home and away brought your way by AM&As."

wow!!!!! charlie bailey!.. i remember him well.. but one has to be a bit old like myself !.. very fond memories of falling asleep while listening to him call hockey bison games..

I used to go to the Aud on Friday nights to watch wrestling. Chuck Healy was the announcer. They would record the wrestling and play it back on Saturday nights. I'd get out about 1030pm, and walk Main St. to Seneca/Swan to get the Seneca bus home. I was maybe 10-12 at the time. Good times!

As far as the Bowling shows, didn't they just tear down the Thruway Lanes? They were "state of the art" in the late 50's and that's where a lot of the TV shows originated.

As far as Obits...Don't forget the Courier Express. The best sports coverage newspaper that we had. As I recall, they closed in '82.

wow!!!!! charlie bailey!.. i remember him well.. but one has to be a bit old like myself !.. very fond memories of falling asleep while listening to him call hockey bison games..

Your not old; you still remember the good stuff. I sometimes delivered the Buffalo Evening News to Bill Mazur, another great one. I'm trying to remember who broadcast the Bison baseball games from Offerman Stadium.

I certainly don't mean to throw this thread off-track...but while we are talking about the good old days in Buffalo with regards to sports, or sports broadcasters...

Let me throw this link out there for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/insidetheaud.html

I find the photos of the abandoned and falling down Aud absolutely mesmerizing for some reason. Brings back a lot of memories from the 1970s and later for me.

This just popped into my head. I think the TV show was "Calling All Kids." Maybe someone remembers that?