Phone Broke - What to Get?

Gugny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joesixpack has a pretty good recommendation above.

Thanks for knocking some sense in me after watching that... Gasp, was I really thinking of an iPhone next... LoL...

That does look sweet! How can a phone (iPhone) not have the capability to put a memory card in it? People say hardware schmarwear... Card capability is a big reason why I am still hammering away on a 3 year old Droid... Apple hardware really sucks, IMO

Here's my take FWIW.

I have only had one smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy IIIS. Samsung products are pretty good. (I love their TVs.) Their phones can take a beating. The charging port wears out on them fairly fast and the battery isn't the greatest. Phone has a lot of bloatware, especially on later versions.

I upgraded to an HTC One M8. I don't need the fancy camera on the M9. The battery life is excellent (and may be the best industry wide) and it's an all metal case with a 2014-era processor driving it.

I never understand the majority of smart phone complaints. They've been giving me an iphone at work for years, 4, 4s, 5, now the 6. They all worked great and do amazing things.

Maybe I'm just easily impressed with modern technology because in college all we had was a pay phone in the hallway.

I never understand the majority of smart phone complaints. They've been giving me an iphone at work for years, 4, 4s, 5, now the 6. They all worked great and do amazing things.

Maybe I'm just easily impressed with modern technology because in college all we had was a pay phone in the hallway.

Yep... So true!

And that's the way Apple likes it! WTF! 4 phones in how many years? When did the iPhone come out? 2007? That 4 was probably 2011... So that's 4 phones in 4 years? Huh? Obvioulsy, something is wrong with the phones?

;-P

My last phone lasted me 6 years... This one I am typing on now is 3+ years old and has never been rooted of the bloat. Yeah, I don't understand it.

#WastefulCulture #WhyNotConserve #TouchScreensUseRareElements #BecauseWeCan

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What vehicle gives anybody problems if they only drive it a year and under 10,000 miles before getting a new one? You'd have to get a pretty bad lemon!

That's exactly what Steve Jobs did. Wasn't it said that he never had a car long enough to get it registered in state... Before he started driving a new one.

I guess that gets into the Apple mindset just a little too deep.

Hang on to that vehicle for over its service life... Decade, whatever and see how it holds up. iPhones when the battery pukes, do most people change it (themselves) or dump the thing. My phone here has a "non-removable" battery too... I've changed it once. 14 bucks.

That brings up another topic. When batteries start crapping the bed, that's when the phone goes all squirrelly... IMO...

If you purchase apple products, you're doing it wrong. Overpriced and underpowered.

Buy yourself one of these

http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/droid-turbo-64gb-black-ballistic-nylon/?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-28349428-2&cmp=Google-PLA

and thank me later.

this is probably what idnget if forced to get a phone today that was new nbut I've had a droid bionic for 3.5 yrs and it still is the best phone I've ever had. Reliable, fast, easy. If it broke I would buy a new one on eBay for $30. Mostly because I don't get Verizon sale prices, just base price to keep unlimited data.

Thanks for knocking some sense in me after watching that... Gasp, was I really thinking of an iPhone next... LoL...

That does look sweet! How can a phone (iPhone) not have the capability to put a memory card in it? People say hardware schmarwear... Card capability is a big reason why I am still hammering away on a 3 year old Droid... Apple hardware really sucks, IMO

Now if I could only convince my wife and daughter of that.

Now if I could only convince my wife and daughter of that.

For me it's my wife and son. They are the iSheeple. My daughter and I are the Droids... She has the Samsung and myself the Droid 4. Like jboyst said, I may even buy a Droid 4 that they have stockpiled somewhere, just to have it on hand in case mine broke.

Funny... Wife and son go into Walmart and they they say they can "feel their IQ drop"... My daughter and I can handle the brutality... I guess our IQ doesn't have too far to fall! LoL... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yep... So true!

And that's the way Apple likes it! WTF! 4 phones in how many years? When did the iPhone come out? 2007? That 4 was probably 2011... So that's 4 phones in 4 years? Huh? Obvioulsy, something is wrong with the phones?

If you include the Treo phone (ok, that was a piece of crap) I think it's 5 phones in 8 years. So yeah, what wrong with them is being more than 2 years old. Of course, being the guy who gave the yea/nay on new phones for the company, I've always had the newest one long before we rolled them out to the field sales people. lol

I haven't paid a dime for any of them but yes, it's a major racket.

I have the Note 4. Great phone. Screen is beautiful it's great for watching slingbox, netflix, youtube whatever. Couple with a Chromecast it integrates smoothly with your tv at home. Battery life is the best I've ever had. Normal days use it still has plenty left when I go to bed. Depends but being at 60% is not unusual at all. The pen is very useful and I had no real interest in it when I bought the phone. Has lots of utility like if you jot someones number down you can immediately circle it and add it to your contacts. If your on the web you can circle or crop the web page and send it as a image and text or email it. Plenty fast enough. Plenty memory. I had Note 3 before this and I enjoyed it so much getting this one was a slam dunk. Android has come a long was a OS since I got the G1 5 years ago or whatever it was. Much more refined and user friendly.

Went with a Droid Maxx.

Wasn't due for an upgrade, which I knew in the back of my mind. The guy online last night swore I was. When I went to the store this afternoon, they told me the catch. Had I ordered a new phone online, thinking I was eligible for an upgrade, I would've gotten something listed above. Catch is this .... I'd have had to send my old phone in, which is damaged. Once they found out it was damaged, they would have billed me full price for the phone I upgraded to ... likely $500 or more.

So I got this one for a very good deal. It's a lot like my old phone, but a newer version. And I got an Otter Box for $25, which is a sweet deal.

I'm happy.

I appreciate all of the advice, seriously. It was nice of all of you (except Beerball) to take the time.

Went with a Droid Maxx.

Wasn't due for an upgrade, which I knew in the back of my mind. The guy online last night swore I was. When I went to the store this afternoon, they told me the catch. Had I ordered a new phone online, thinking I was eligible for an upgrade, I would've gotten something listed above. Catch is this .... I'd have had to send my old phone in, which is damaged. Once they found out it was damaged, they would have billed me full price for the phone I upgraded to ... likely $500 or more.

So I got this one for a very good deal. It's a lot like my old phone, but a newer version. And I got an Otter Box for $25, which is a sweet deal.

I'm happy.

I appreciate all of the advice, seriously. It was nice of all of you (except Beerball) to take the time.

Looks like a good phone. By the size of the battery the life is going to be excellent. My knock on it would be the screen size but I only get the big screen because I'm old.

If you include the Treo phone (ok, that was a piece of crap) I think it's 5 phones in 8 years. So yeah, what wrong with them is being more than 2 years old. Of course, being the guy who gave the yea/nay on new phones for the company, I've always had the newest one long before we rolled them out to the field sales people. lol

I haven't paid a dime for any of them but yes, it's a major racket.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey! Can't beat that! I would be dumping them every 6 months if I could... Damn the slide keyboard!