"Why Me?"

I read this in the monster McCoy/Alonso trade thread. Apparently a unnamed source (agent?) close to McCoy said that was a initial reaction from Shady when he found out that he was traded to Buffalo. If any of that is accurate it sure sums up the stigma that so many in the Bills' fanbase have loathed of players' perception of playing in Buffalo. Those 2 words sure says a lot!

While I understand a player's initial reaction and shock to such news it still validates to a point that we weren't wrong about some players' opinions of playing up in Buffalo. I will say that when the dust settles I'm sure that McCoy will start wrapping his mind around this a little bit more. I know that I have and it's human nature to have strong reaction to sudden change.

Anyways what I really wanted to mention is that in light of McCoy's reaction is how CJ Spiller must have felt when he heard the news. CJ is a class act and I really feel bad for him. Here is a nice guy who never complained, wanted to stay a Bill, always gave his best effort and has to find out on national TV, by a former Patriot and a phone call from our 'classy' front office', that he was no longer wanted or needed, thank you very much and then in front of the bright lights and cameras, surrounded by 5 analylists, reveling in the latest gossip, asking all kinds of questions as they are pointing out that he no longer is a Bill. I have a problem with that. CJ didn't deserve that. He's been nothing but classy and loyal and this is what he gets and is treated??!!! It's not right. The poor guy wasn't even allowed to process and digest all of this in private. It's not right. For one of the very few times in my life I'm not quite so proud of being a Bills' fan. Just my 2 cents.....

Go Spiller!

I read this in the monster McCoy/Alonso trade thread. Apparently a unnamed source (agent?) close to McCoy said that was a initial reaction from Shady when he found out that he was traded to Buffalo. If any of that is accurate it sure sums up the stigma that so many in the Bills' fanbase have loathed of players' perception of playing in Buffalo. Those 2 words sure says a lot!

While I understand a player's initial reaction and shock to such news it still validates to a point that we weren't wrong about some players' opinions of playing up in Buffalo. I will say that when the dust settles I'm sure that McCoy will start wrapping his mind around this a little bit more. I know that I have and it's human nature to have strong reaction to sudden change.

Anyways what I really wanted to mention is that in light of McCoy's reaction is how CJ Spiller must have felt when he heard the news. CJ is a class act and I really feel bad for him. Here is a nice guy who never complained, wanted to stay a Bill, always gave his best effort and has to find out on national TV, by a former Patriot and a phone call from our 'classy' front office', that he was no longer wanted or needed, thank you very much and then in front of the bright lights and cameras, surrounded by 5 analylists, reveling in the latest gossip, asking all kinds of questions as they are pointing out that he no longer is a Bill. I have a problem with that. CJ didn't deserve that. He's been nothing but classy and loyal and this is what he gets and is treated??!!! It's not right. The poor guy wasn't even allowed to process and digest all of this in private. It's not right. For one of the very few times in my life I'm not quite so proud of being a Bills' fan. Just my 2 cents.....

Go Spiller!

Don't feel bad for CJ. I can see him ending up in NO, NE, the NYJ, or Philly and performing well.

Change is hard, most people have a natural aversion to it. Then you get used to your new surroundings and everything is fine.

p.s. how do you know all that about Spiller? I would assume the lack of contract negotiations and his pending FA has provided him plenty of notice to process that his future lies elsewhere.

Edited by KD in CT

to the OP, how exactly would you have liked the Bills to handle this? They gave Spiller a phone call. It wasn't their fault he was scheduled to go on NFL Network just as the story broke. There are a lot of things over the last 30 years that the Bills have done to not makie us proud of this organization, this just isn't one of them.

This has nothing to do with being traded to The Buffalo Bills. This isn't an anti Buffalo, or anti Bills thing. Put yourself in his shoes. You've worked hard for your employer, that you've been a dedicated employee at for 6 years, made friends, settled a life in that city, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they tell you that you're being forced to go work for someone else in another city. That's gotta be tough.

The "why me" was not a reaction to Buffalo. McCoy has played his entire high school, college and professional career in Pennsylvania. He expected to finish his career with Philadelphia. His response would have been the same had he been traded to San Francisco, Minnesota, or Indianapolis. His response was because he didn't see it coming. Chip Kelly, nor anyone else from Philadelphia, had a conversation with him. As for CJ Spiller, why feel bad for him? They didn't tag him or otherwise force him to do anything. He'll be a free agent and be able to get the best deal out there for him. It would be incredible if the Bills could still keep him, but unlikely.

CJ*?

I'm an idiot typo

Is that suppose to be cryptic?

other than my typo and the subject is CJ and not EJ

Company standards - performance on the field after 5 years of playing for them .

It states that CJ was not the premier RB they hoped for when they drafted him.

Freddy has performed consistently better then CJ has.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Go Spiller!

I don't think the Bills are exactly responsible for the happenstance that CJ was scheduled to appear on NFL Network right when the news broke. That was a big scoop for NFLN

It's my understanding that the trade was arranged very quickly, so it's not like the Bills knew about it for days and just didn't bother to reach out to him, and it's not like he wasn't committed to testing the waters with other teams. It's just very hard to keep up with the speed at which news travels in this age of social media.

Did you watch the interview? I thought CJ was 100% classy but I thought the other announcers were classy and respectful in how they treated him and the questions they asked. It's all good.

As for McCoy, I'm sure "why me?" is partly a reaction of a guy who has had a great career with an organization, beloved by the fans, a star in the city, and a natural reaction to change. And I'm sure partly it is that Buffalo in the eyes of many is a snowy city that hasn't sniffed playoffs in 15 years and he would rather be going to San Francisco or Dallas or even Cincy - a team that's seen as contending/on the bubble. But the fact is, contending teams don't need to make big risky trades for aging RB stars, especially contending teams with good QB.

He'll be fine once he gets a bit of selling from Rex and the players and a reach-out from his fellow Penn home-boy Whaley.

Edited by Hopeful

to the OP, how exactly would you have liked the Bills to handle this? They gave Spiller a phone call. It wasn't their fault he was scheduled to go on NFL Network just as the story broke. There are a lot of things over the last 30 years that the Bills have done to not makie us proud of this organization, this just isn't one of them.

It was almost like the ghost of saint doug was telling the Bills to break up with CJ over text

The reaction to CJ is crazy. In the past couple of weeks I've seen quotes from him ranging from "I want to be a Bill" to "Money will be a factor" to "It would be pretty great to work with Gailey". Last night he was quoted along the lines of, "I would have like to have the option to come back to Buffalo." The option? Like if it didn't work out better anywhere else?

I like Spiller, but he wasn't treated badly. There was a source last night that said this deal went down in like 20 minutes (probably an exaggeration, but the point being it was fast). I'm sure they let Spiller know as soon as possible after making the deal instead of letting him find out about it on the street. Not their fault it just happened to be right before he went on TV. Tough break, but the "Chip's got my agents number" comment was great for CJ.