[Vague Title]Only QB Option

13player

All this QB talk is confusing, but I think we really only have one option.

EJ - That's it, bring in whoever you want as long as it does not have a big impact on next years cap. The 2016 draft class at least right now looks way better, if EJ stinks we get a great pick next year, possibly we pick a high as 15, and a trade up to around 9 or 10 would be possible.

to bring in anyone else unless you thought he was a franchise guy is a waist of money. Draft a the best running back we can this year with the 2nd and see if we can get to the playoffs with ground and pound. Sign a couple of TE in free agency a couple of guards fix the o-line and get set for Rex year 2.

If EJ stinks you can draft at QB in the first and the third next year, the class could be that strong, sign a veteran QB to help the young guys, of course by year two you will need to sign/draft another Pass rusher and DT, the Williams brothers will be getting up in age.

in the 2016/2017 year we should have lots of cap room to sign needed pass rushers and DT if we cant find them in the draft.

I think after next year we become a real challenge for the AFC tittle, Brady may even be gone by then.

Just my opinion

if EJ stinks we get a great pick next year, possibly we pick a high as 15

What? 15 is not a great pick, not high enough to draft the franchise guys, look at this year.

The 2016 draft class at least right now looks way better,

Somehow every year next years class is better...

With this defense I dont know why anyone would be willing to just coast this year and set up for the next year. Nothing about that year is guaranteed. Mario and Kyle will be older, we could lose Dareus and Gilmore by then, Fred will be on his way out if not gone. The defense could look completely different and your solution is that a rookie QB that we grab with the 9th pick will lead us? How often does that happen? How about we do everything we can to win this year when the defense is more of a sure thing and also keep an eye on the future for QBs. great defenses rarely last for more then 3-4 years continuously and we need to try to capitalize this year

While I personally think EJ is our best chance at developing an above average QB, I wouldn't expect him to be their "Only option". I do believe they will sign one of the best available UFAs to compete with EJ for the starting QB spot. EJ will not just be handed the job.

What? 15 is not a great pick, not high enough to draft the franchise guys, look at this year.

Somehow every year next years class is better...

With this defense I dont know why anyone would be willing to just coast this year and set up for the next year. Nothing about that year is guaranteed. Mario and Kyle will be older, we could lose Dareus and Gilmore by then, Fred will be on his way out if not gone. The defense could look completely different and your solution is that a rookie QB that we grab with the 9th pick will lead us? How often does that happen? How about we do everything we can to win this year when the defense is more of a sure thing and also keep an eye on the future for QBs. great defenses rarely last for more then 3-4 years continuously and we need to try to capitalize this year

Not to speak for the OP, but I don't think he was suggesting coasting, just that from what we've seen so far out there he is probably our most likely and best starter fromt hose options come openning day.

Not to speak for the OP, but I don't think he was suggesting coasting, just that from what we've seen so far out there he is probably our most likely and best starter fromt hose options come openning day.

Yea maybe coasting was not a good word, obviously were going to try as hard as possible. It just seemed like the whole post was about prepping for 2016 when we have a real chance at having the number 1 defense in 2015.

EJ is definitely not out only option. There are FAs to be signed and rookies to be drafted. Maybe a trade will come available.

EJ - That's it, bring in whoever you want as long as it does not have a big impact on next years cap. The 2016 draft class at least right now looks way better, if EJ stinks we get a great pick next year, possibly we pick a high as 15, and a trade up to around 9 or 10 would be possible.

to bring in anyone else unless you thought he was a franchise guy is a waist of money. Draft a the best running back we can this year with the 2nd and see if we can get to the playoffs with ground and pound. Sign a couple of TE in free agency a couple of guards fix the o-line and get set for Rex year 2.

If EJ stinks you can draft at QB in the first and the third next year, the class could be that strong, sign a veteran QB to help the young guys, of course by year two you will need to sign/draft another Pass rusher and DT, the Williams brothers will be getting up in age.

in the 2016/2017 year we should have lots of cap room to sign needed pass rushers and DT if we cant find them in the draft.

I think after next year we become a real challenge for the AFC tittle, Brady may even be gone by then.

Just my opinion

Good opinion, I think people have abandoned a young QB early. He's won us games and certainly lost us some. His talent level shows signs that we can maybe salvage something - an adequate starter in the meantime. After all, that is what everyone has been banging on about "if we had just a mid-tier QB we would be winning". Let's hope EJ can do that and more!

I see us drafting Petty or Hundley in the 2nd, a RB in the 3rd or 5th. TE will be Clay in FA, and another QB and OL added in the draft and FA.

Good opinion, I think people have abandoned a young QB early. He's won us games and certainly lost us some. His talent level shows signs that we can maybe salvage something - an adequate starter in the meantime. After all, that is what everyone has been banging on about "if we had just a mid-tier QB we would be winning". Let's hope EJ can do that and more!

EJ has one us games. I'm an EJ doubter to some extent, but he has led game winning drives. But he can't be handed the position. A winner must emerge from training camp and that guy should be told he is the guy. EJ seems a bit fragile, like with Orton there he played worried. He needs a little more mental strength.

Yea maybe coasting was not a good word, obviously were going to try as hard as possible. It just seemed like the whole post was about prepping for 2016 when we have a real chance at having the number 1 defense in 2015.

EJ is definitely not out only option. There are FAs to be signed and rookies to be drafted. Maybe a trade will come available.

Agreed and that would be nice.

If EJ were just OK, not great, but not horrible either, I could live with that for this year...if he ends up being the starter, that is.

Plus, it gives him more experience under his belt. However, even if we sneak into the playoffs with him as an OK starter I have no qualms about going after his replacement.

It should be a good year for this team...even better if we had a top 12 QB, but if you believe what the OP stated then we have limited options.

Just my opinion

In the mean time a very good, maybe great, defense is wasted. Who knows what the defense will look like in 2-3 years down the road. The Bills need to create competition and not treat EJ as the default #1.

I see us drafting Petty or Hundley in the 2nd, a RB in the 3rd or 5th. TE will be Clay in FA, and another QB and OL added in the draft and FA.

EJ has one us games. I'm an EJ doubter to some extent, but he has led game winning drives. But he can't be handed the position. A winner must emerge from training camp and that guy should be told he is the guy. EJ seems a bit fragile, like with Orton there he played worried. He needs a little more mental strength.

Absolutely. I don't for a second state EJ is good, will be good or vice-versa. I just feel he's got a raw deal from our fan base. He's on our team, he's still young and still can potentially grow into the role of a QB that we need - especially in Roman's O. Until he finds elsewhere and we don't have anyone entrenched as our starter, I hope EJ delivers.

Practice squad, just like now? ;)

NO!

Oh wait... Noodle arm, right? Ok then. Keep him there.

I'm with the OP here. It's not that I believe that EJ is the "best" option at quarterback, or that he's just suddenly going to be a superstar. It comes down to the alternatives. This years draft was projected to be pretty low in terms of quarterback talent, and that's exactly what it looks like right now. Even if the Bills could in some way move up to get Winston, he looked a lot like EJ Manuel to me when Ohio State was rattling his cage. Low and behold, he's the starter in the same Florida State system that EJ played in with lots of very similar measurables.

When you look after that, there's a lot of guys that look the same to me. Petty, Sims, Fajardo, Grayson, etc. It's a wasted pick because the talent really isn't there. Go get us a running back that can learn from and replace Freddy Jackson before he retires. Jeremy Langford looked incredible at the combine, or a Jay Ajayi. He catches the ball as good as any wide receiver. If EJ fails, next year we could have a shot at Miller, Boykin or even Cook, and just part ways with him. I guess the simple point here is the question of what drafting a QB in the 2nd round really gets this team for the future.

So a couple of points from my perspective. The Bills do not appear to intend to move up in the draft. They met with every QB at the combine except Mariota and Winston. Clearly, they don't intend to try to draft the top QB talent this year. Their free agency efforts so far have started with journeyman Josh McCown, who has played for 6 teams in his 12 year career and been nothing but average. In fact, his 58.8% completion percentage and 76.1 rating are basically the same as Manuel in his grand total of 14 total starts. IMO, if they're entertaining the idea of Josh McCown, they're not looking at signal caller in the 2nd round, even if Hundley by some chance is available. Petty and Grayson are projected 3rd-4th round value, clearly not worthy of reaching in the 2nd. Some have Fajardo and Sims going very very late or even undrafted. Clearly also not 2nd round value.

look, I don't want to wait another year either, I want to win now but it isn't going to happen. Be realistic, consider the cap in two years, consider Freddy's age, consider there is no better option that gets us better odds then EJ. If EJ is great we get a pass rusher next year with the first pick to replace Mario and sign a free agent TE and DT, we will have lots of cash in 2016 and I think the new owners will spend.

Anything else is a wasted pick or wasted cash, so don't go looking for trouble, Josh McCowen is exactly who you want right now, a veteran that won't cost but EJ still plays and next year you have a vet go get a real franchise QB, and if the draft class is as good as they are saying it is right now you will absolutely get a franchise QB with the 15th pick. Jim Kelly or Dan Marino both went later than 15 because the draft class was that good, early predictions is next years could be that deep.

stay rich and full of options for 2016, and go get a running back.

never said coasting, play our butts off, worst we can do is make the playoffs with EJ, I said don't waste money and picks and if EJ sucks we take a couple of qb's in 2016 and we have money to sign free agent DT and Pass rusher and we will be a playoff contender.

Yea, pretty much follow the Seahawks' 2012 model. That is: EJ is the incumbent (Seattle's was Tarvaris Jackson), bring in a veteran (Seattle brought in Matt Flynn) and roll the dice with a mid-round draft pick (a la Russell Wilson). Obviously Seattle hit paydirt with Wilson, and that is the exception to the rule. Still, the Bills need to keep throwing it up against the wall until something sticks.