Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler available?

YoloinOhio

The bears would need to write him a roughly 35 mil check if they just cut him right? He signed a contract with 54 mil guaranteed and no signing bonus. He made 18 mil last year so just cutting him makes no sense. They need to find someone to take the contract on...I'd def consider it.

Would never take on a Cutler contract.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's paying him 15 million a year. If he's released then I'd expect a 2 or 3 year/10 million per (plus incentives) type of deal by the team that signs him. So basically he'll end up going to the team he wants to play for most because I don't see any team overpaying for Cutler ever again. He's burned that bridge.

It would be basically a two year deal...we would draft a guy this year and next to replace him. He would be better than anyone in free agency and would be better than signing revis as far as team need goes. You just need to reign him in and coach him up. If rex can win with sanchez he could do well with cutler.

Nick Foles is the QB I really want on the Bills.

Jay Cutler would be my second choice.

If the Bears cut him, the Bills would have to try and sign him. He would be the best QB the Bills will have had in a long time.

This has been my thought process all along as well. Foles or cutler and we have playoff tickets to buy.

Foles would be a solid pickup but I don't see philly getting mariotta so they would have to keep foles.

Philly could trade this year's 1st and 2nd and next yr's 1st or something to make it happen. We could give them our 2nd and another pick based on performance for Foles. So basically it would only cost them their 1st next year to move up. That's not a bad deal for them if they think Mariotta is their QB for the next decade. I think RG3 cost the Skins 3 firsts if I'm not mistaken

No one's paying him 15 million a year. If he's released then I'd expect a 2 or 3 year/10 million per (plus incentives) type of deal by the team that signs him. So basically he'll end up going to the team he wants to play for most because I don't see any team overpaying for Cutler ever again. He's burned that bridge.

Are you saying 10 million per year or 10 million in total + incentives? It's early here on the left coast. My mind is still groggy. lol

It sounds like the Bears are moving on from Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte and Jay Cutler is not exactly getting a ringing endorsement from the new GM and head coach. Cutler's due 10 million on March 12th so a decision has to be made soon. It sounds like there's a chance he actually might be cut because nobody wants to trade for that contract. Why would they keep Cutler and get rid of Marshall and Forte? They wouldn't. IMO Cutler is gone either by trade or being release.

I'd take Cutler, but only if the Bills are his first choice. I don't want him being even more unenthused than his current level of unenthusiasm(?). It'd be nice to have the QB situation at least settled for the next three years with Jay Cutler though. If they did get him I'd make sure he's only throwing the ball 25-30 times a game tops. There are other possible nice options for him like the Rams or Texans.

Posted 2 hours ago...

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/03/01/valuable-jay-cutler/

Why would they get rid of Forte?? If they do, Bills need to get him in the door. Period.

Edited by purple haze

Philly could trade this year's 1st and 2nd and next yr's 1st or something to make it happen. We could give them our 2nd and another pick based on performance for Foles. So basically it would only cost them their 1st next year to move up. That's not a bad deal for them if they think Mariotta is their QB for the next decade. I think RG3 cost the Skins 3 firsts if I'm not mistaken

Then tampa or tennesee ends up with no qb...one of those two would move back to 20 where they would have no qb and basically would tank next season.

Jay Cutler would be more talented than any Quarterback we have had in a long, long time. However...... my worry is this - Jay Cutler has not played on bad football teams during his career and yet he is only 61-58 as a starter with a TD-INT ratio worse than 1.5. That worries me because it demonstrates that he is just as liable to lose you a game as he is to win you one.

The question then becomes in what circumstances would you want him and my answer is I do not want that contract. I do not think he even comes close to being worth it. So I sign him only in one of two circumstances.....

1. He becomes a free agent and I can negotiate a reasonable $10-12million a year deal for 2/3 years.

2. He becomes available via trade where he is willing to renegotiate him deal but Chicago still wants him out because they just want to cut ties. If Chicago would take a 3rd round draft pick or maybe next year's 2nd and he is willing to renegotiate his deal to the kind of parameters above then I'd be ok with it given the horrible free agent options.

I think a different outcome that might suit the Bills is Tennessee trading for Cutler..... thereby removing their need for a Quarterback in the draft and increasing Chip Kelly's chances of getting Mariota which leads to Foles requesting a trade. The problem with this is I don't (as some do) believe the Bills can stand pat until after the draft and bank on that playing out. I think they have to bring a veteran in to compete. If they go for a 2nd tier of the already horrible FA class kind of guy hoping that someone better shakes lose and they don't..... then we are settling in for another year where our Quarterback play doesn't even get to average unless EJ has a major turnaround.

If either Winston or Mariotta is sitting there with the Raiders on the clock at 4, I could see the Bears trading up to pick up either QB. It wouldn't be back breaking to move up those three spots and Oakland still get to add a difference-maker at W/O if they drop to 7.

Either way, Cutler isn't as bad as many would like us to believe but the Bears do have a chance to begin the journey to find his replacement.

I think a different outcome that might suit the Bills is Tennessee trading for Cutler..... thereby removing their need for a Quarterback in the draft and increasing Chip Kelly's chances of getting Mariota which leads to Foles requesting a trade.

The only way that happens is via the draft. They ship Cutler to Tennessee and they switch firsts. Maybe Chicago throws in a 3rd or 4th rounder for good measure.

Edited by Smooth

Then tampa or tennesee ends up with no qb...one of those two would move back to 20 where they would have no qb and basically would tank next season.

I don't think Tennessee is in the Mariotta market. That trade was assuming they pass on him and he ends up falling to like 5 or 6

He will lose the guarantee more than the high annual salary I think. Picture a 15m/year deal but one you can walk away from with no pain. He's not fallen to "backup that might start" contract status yet, imo

Are you saying 10 million per year or 10 million in total + incentives? It's early here on the left coast. My mind is still groggy. lol

Why would they get rid of Forte?? If they do, Bills need to get him in the door. Period.

forte, oh hail yes Edited by YoloinOhio

with our d and cutlers offensive prowess we could do real damage, anyone who wouldnt want him and would rather stick to a guy that can barely throw 15 tds in a season is kidding themselves. get cutler and let ej learn from a guy not afraid to sling it!

Yes, that's pretty much all that needs to be said in this thread.

I totally forgot about that.

Looks like Foles might become an option though. I hear that the Chip is willing to go for broke to get Mariota. Although I wouldn't trade away our 2nd round pick for him.

Cutler will have a bounce back year in Chicago. John Fox will turn Cutler over to OC Adam Gase, The plan will be to throw the ball as a secondary option - assuming the defense can keep them in games. Coaching the ultimate prima donna in Peyton Manning should serve Gase well when it comes to Cutler. Play to Cutler's strengths, get him some new downfield toys, and keep telling him how great he is and all will be well.