Do Today's Bills win a Super Bowl with heyday Jim Kelly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put Kelly in his prime on this team, in this era NFL, with this coach, with this owner - Do the Bills win it all?

Do they win it with Kelly after the up coming draft/FA signings? My answer is, no. That tells me how far away the Bills are. They need a stud runningback, a big improvement at TE, and a whole lot biter o-line. For comparison, the current defense put on the 90 Bills win the Super Bowl by 50 points.

of course, what were you thinking

No. Not even close. Go back and watch those 1990s teams and see all the HOF players and All Pros that were playing together. The current team doesn't have the offense or defense to win it, even with Kelly. The current D is very good but not Super Bowl-winning good. I didn't feel this strongly until I recently watched the 1992 49ers No Punt game. Those Bills teams were loaded on all three phases.

Smith would have been the best player on either squad, but overall the current defense is better

Yes they would.

Many posters are correctly observing that the team would still not be as good as the SB Bills.

BUT that misses the fact that NO NFL TEAM is as good today in the free agency era as the best were back then.

Just look at this last Super Bowl - would either of those teams have stood a chance in the 90's? Not likely.

To answer the question, it's not necessary for them to be as good as the 90's Bills to win the SB today. With any HOF caliber QB this team IS good enough to win today.

Edited by BobChalmers

I can't say YES or NO definitively. But if this current team added a HOF QB, I would expect at least a deep run in the playoffs. The postseason is such a tricky thing, all it takes is one bad day... Which in hindsight, makes the the 1990-1993 Bills that much more impressive.

No way! The O-Line was much better, Thurman!, Andre!, No way.

There's a reason #12 is never in the debate of best QB ever, b/c he wasn't!

Or because pro sports has an obsession with perfection and given the fact the Bills never won the "big one," he's not in the discussion.

It's an interesting dilemma.

We had individual defensive superstars on the Superbowl teams, but on the whole, our defense was not good enough and that cost us more than anything back then.

Our D now is a LOT stronger than it ever was with Bruce Smith in the lineup.

I say bring back Jimbo in his prime, keep the other pieces, and let's see what happens. I'd take those odds all day long.

How about the same 1990 personel on defense, but a much better philosophy? I agree, that this defense is better over all, but there were a couple of pieces on the 90s team that I would love to see today. Bruce is still the best defensive player in franchise history imo. And we shouldn't forget how great Biscuit was. He was probably the fastest player on the field in most games. Talley would have thrived under Schwartz or Ryan. That defensive was on the field more than any other unit in the league, but they can't blame just the K-Gun. Not being able to conistently get stops on 3rd down kills any team. This season, I got the most joy out of watching the present Bills on defensive 3rd downs. Made me think it's a real defense, with real toughness.

I'm really not convinced yet on this one. I think the 90 Bills were far and away the best team in the NFL that year. Second was SF, then the Giants. The Bills played seeminly a perfect season. And they still didn't win the Super Bowl. The current team has way too many holes to fill in the areas we know about to complete at the highest level...even with a hall of fame QB.

no.

Much worse O-Line nowadays. And very few veterans on Offense.

Agree here. There is a long way to go with this group.