All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

Take a look at this piece. Well done by Sam Monson from PFF. NE had 8 guys on the line ready for the run. If Kearse drives Browner off the line, it's an easy score. Instead, Browner punishes Kearse at the line allowing Butler space to work with. Lockette simply wasn't expecting Butler to break on the ball that easily.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

Take a look at this piece. Well done by Sam Monson from PFF. NE had 8 guys on the line ready for the run. If Kearse drives Browner off the line, it's an easy score. Instead, Browner punishes Kearse at the line allowing Butler space to work with. Lockette simply wasn't expecting Butler to break on the ball that easily.

I do not care at all. If it is the Patriots they are at the line running a QB sneak before the Seahawks know what hit them, or they are making the Seahwaks use one of their timeouts so they can gather themselves. Also putting your legacy in the hands of Lockett, your number 4 reciever is incredibly dumb. Expecting Kearse to push one of the best and stronger corners in the league in Browner into the endzone is another terrible call. Terrible call all the way around.

Edited by Proteus

I do not care at all. If it is the Patriots they are at the line running a QB sneak before the Seahawks know what hit them, or they are making the Seahwaks use one of their timeouts so they can gather themselves. Also putting your legacy in the hands of Lockett, your number 4 reciever is incredibly dumb. Expecting Kearse to push one of the best and stronger corners in the league in Browner into the endzone is another terrible call. Terrible call all the way around.

it took 3 breakdowns for things to go that poorly and 2 exceptional plays - one from a UDFA rookie.... kearse to get no push, browner gets a great jam. lockette runs a lazy route, a UDFA gets a remarkable jump. Wilson leaves the ball where a defender breaking has a shot at it.

while your #4 WR isnt an ideal target, if that route is too much for him... he doesnt belong in the game at all. people keep saying track star like hes a tiny guy that had no shot once the 180lbs corner hit him. Hes a special teamer that outweighed the DB by 30 lbs. Even without the rub/pick it shouldnt have ended like that. i keep seeing it was thrown into a crowd as another talking point which simply isnt true. the play failed, but 31 other teams run that same play in "and short" and goal line situations regularly

Edited by NoSaint

while your #4 WR isnt an ideal target, if that route is too much for him... he doesnt belong in the game at all. people keep saying track star like hes a tiny guy that had no shot once the 180lbs corner hit him. Hes a special teamer that outweighed the DB by 30 lbs. Even without the rub/pick it shouldnt have ended like that. i keep seeing it was thrown into a crowd as another talking point which simply isnt true. the play failed, but 31 other teams run that same play in "and short" and goal line situations regularly

It's as crazy as making TJ Graham your go-to WR on the 1-yard line.

Had Seattle run the football out of a goal line formation NE would have let them score uncontested. When Seattle lined up in shotgun, the Pats went all out for a turnover. The Call was a complete fail anyway you look at it.

If NE planned to let them score, they would've called a timeout after Lynch ran the ball to the 1-yard line on 1st down. Instead, they let 20+ seconds run off the clock.

They weren't letting them score.

it took 3 breakdowns for things to go that poorly and 2 exceptional plays - one from a UDFA rookie.... kearse to get no push, browner gets a great jam. lockette runs a lazy route, a UDFA gets a remarkable jump. Wilson leaves the ball where a defender breaking has a shot at it.

You are totally discounting the situation of the game. Kearse just had a devestating catch and the Seahawks easily gained 4 on first and we're half a yard away. If they are smart they get up quickly and run the same play or a QB sneak and it is a TD barring a fluke fumble. All you need to win the Super Bowl is a 6 inch push against a reeling defense. Instead you decide to run a play where a few things need to go right to be successful. No matter what you or anyone else says, nobody will ever convince me that this is anything other than the worst call in NFL history and it was.

If NE planned to let them score, they would've called a timeout after Lynch ran the ball to the 1-yard line on 1st down. Instead, they let 20+ seconds run off the clock.

They weren't letting them score.

True. Just looked for comments by Belichick and found this:

Ultimately, both coaches opted to let the clock run down, and the Seahawks snapped the ball with 26 seconds left. Belichick later said that had the Seahawks run the ball on second down, “We would have used our timeouts if that had been a running play.”

Which, in a way, is even more damning of The Call than if the Pats were willing to intentionally allow a running TD. By running and failing to score, they would have forced NE to burn one of its 2 timeouts. Fail again and they get a 3rd crack. Odds of the Seahawks NOT scoring on 2nd, 3rd or 4th down from the one is infinitesimally remote, and had it taken an extra play or two would have worked in their favor.

True. Just looked for comments by Belichick and found this:

Ultimately, both coaches opted to let the clock run down, and the Seahawks snapped the ball with 26 seconds left. Belichick later said that had the Seahawks run the ball on second down, “We would have used our timeouts if that had been a running play.”

Which, in a way, is even more damning of The Call than if the Pats were willing to intentionally allow a running TD. By running and failing to score, they would have forced NE to burn one of its 2 timeouts. Fail again and they get a 3rd crack. Odds of the Seahawks NOT scoring on 2nd, 3rd or 4th down from the one is infinitesimally remote, and had it taken an extra play or two would have worked in their favor.

Pretty much all of that...yeah.

You are totally discounting the situation of the game. Kearse just had a devestating catch and the Seahawks easily gained 4 on first and we're half a yard away. If they are smart they get up quickly and run the same play or a QB sneak and it is a TD barring a fluke fumble. All you need to win the Super Bowl is a 6 inch push against a reeling defense. Instead you decide to run a play where a few things need to go right to be successful. No matter what you or anyone else says, nobody will ever convince me that this is anything other than the worst call in NFL history and it was.

Key point here. The Pats DL did a nice job against Lynch in the first half, but he and the OL wore them down in the second half. A goal line stand there seems highly improbable.

I can see an argument for calling A pass play, albeit a weak argument. I can't see an argument for calling THAT pass play. So much congestion on the line and the slant is leading right into it. At worst you roll RW out after play action and let him choose to either run it in or throw it away.

i've stated ways he could have forced better match-ups with the same formation elsewhere - something i haven't seen from the 'experts'.. nonetheless, it wasn't the dumbest play ever - it just wasn't the slam dunk Bevell thought it was. any proposed option will always be a better choice after the chosen one fails, and we all are entitled to our opinions.. but not understanding what was trying to be accomplished there - why it failed, and how it could have worked - is for me, a great part of enjoying the game.

to each their own.

If I'm the Seattle owner I'm looking for a new coach. They'll be talking about this dumbass 100 years from now.

That's the only good thing. I can't stand Carroll and I love that he is now a laughingstock.

Letterman did a top ten Pete Carroll excuses yesterday.

This is what I've been laughing about since Sunday. It was pretty much the same play Coach Moron/Hackett Jr. ran with Tuel Time on the 1 yard line vs KC 2013.