This quote, more than anything, reflects change at OBD...

eball

“I have all-stars on my coaching staff,” Ryan said. “Fortunately, my owner has deep pockets, because we had to dish out. We’re going to get this thing done, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

Those are words you have never heard any former Bills coach utter in the history of the franchise.

Coaching is king in the NFL -- everybody has talent.

Find a serviceable QB -- EJ or otherwise -- and this team is going places.

And if Rex had said this sort of thing last season everyone here would be laughing at a blowhard. Much like his past superbowl comments on the Jets and his playoffs comments now. Everyone knows Rex can talk. Up until now that's about all he has been able to do. Now we will see if he can do more with his 2nd chance. But Rex talking quite frankly is nothing to get excited about.

Coaching is critical but Talent and QB trumps all, Many teams don't have a lot of talent like most of ours the past 15 years.

Although a bad coach can squander good talent (Wannstedt)

Exactly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so confused.

We're thrilled to have Rex because we think he's better than his record and he got screwed on talent by the NYJ FO

Now I read coaching is king and everybody has talent.

So does that mean Rex is really a mediocre coach because everyone has talent?

I would amend the comment that everyone has talent. It is not that everyone HAS talent (the Jets certainly have talent issues) but rather everyone SPENDS on talent. If you spend the money on talent evaluaters (GM, scouting) you will have more talent. Add better coaching and you have a much better franchise.

Agreed on all accounts. That's what annoys me so much about the people who are so adamantly against the Chase Daniels and kellen moores and argue that they'd rather have EJ- ok then bring them in and let them duke it out with EJ in practice. I guarantee you either one of them would look better than EJ in practice and win the job fair and square. That's what all the "but he's only played 14 games" crowd loves to conveniently forget- that EJ regressed in practice this past year too. Remember when everyone was just waiting for buscaglia to report that the dude at least had a good practice? He had that one good practice in Pittsburgh this summer. That was it. I swear to god, if the bills didn't reach for him in the first round no one would have any reason to think he has any potential. And there's my EJ rant of the day.

Name one player with a rag arm that has ever won anything? You can't. They can't play in the NFL and win over the length of a season. You can't do it. No one does it. Kellen Moore has a rag arm AND he is short. He can't do it two times over. Very, very few short guys win either, and the ones that buck the odds have great arms, like Brees and Wilson.

Name one player with a rag arm that has ever won anything? You can't. They can't play in the NFL and win over the length of a season. You can't do it. No one does it. Kellen Moore has a rag arm AND he is short. He can't do it two times over. Very, very few short guys win either, and the ones that buck the odds have great arms, like Brees and Wilson.

Montana had a pretty weak arm--it was a major reason he lasted to the 3rd round. Fouts was didn't have a big arm. Brad Johnson won a SB with a soft arm. Bob Greise as well. Payton Manning won a ton of games the past 2 seasons with a total noodle arm.

Montana had a pretty weak arm--it was a major reason he lasted to the 3rd round. Fouts was didn't have a big arm. Brad Johnson won a SB with a soft arm. Bob Greise as well. Payton Manning won a ton of games the past 2 seasons with a total noodle arm.

Those guys all had "make every throw" arms. There are basically three or four types: Cannons, strong, make every throw, and rag. None of those guys you mentioned had a rag arm. Moore has a rag arm. Even Manning in the last couple years.

Brad Johnson and Griese could gun it pretty well when they had to. Fouts, too. Montana didn't but he could make the deep out. He could throw deep.

The only guy with a rag arm that I can remember making the playoffs was Pennington.

Those guys all had "make every throw" arms. There are basically three or four types: Cannons, strong, make every throw, and rag. None of those guys you mentioned had a rag arm. Moore has a rag arm. Even Manning in the last couple years.

Brad Johnson and Griese could gun it pretty well when they had to. Fouts, too. Montana didn't but he could make the deep out. He could throw deep.

The only guy with a rag arm that I can remember making the playoffs was Pennington.

I guess if you are going to split "weak arm" into 2 more subcategories, you are correct.

We need to keep bringing in QBs till they have figured it out....and not 7th round picks either.

A lot of people on this very board have called for the same thing since Fitz was the starter. Those people were roundly criticized for disagreeing with Nix and then Whaley.

I see things have come full circle.