What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the money from Hughes and spend it on the top guard and TE available....I would much rather have that anyway. This defense made Hughes, not the other way around.

Then how come Lawson, Rivers, Ty Powell...etc did not put up same numbers or get on the field as much as Hughes? You still have to make plays and Hughes did.

Sure you can...all you have to do is completely disregard any semblance of reason and away you go!

Yet I notice that you provide no significant substance that points to the contrary

Am I supposed to explain to you why 19 1/2 sacks over the last two years is significant. I'm sure you'll just say that is only because of his teammates. But if you go back and watch the games you will see there were plenty of plays Hughes made himself. He had more of an impact on the defense this year than Kyle Williams. Hughes dominated Joe Thomas one on one but let's give the credit for that to Mario. I know Hughes has been great the last two seasons and the numbers back me up. If you want to discredit those numbers with simpleton arguments like "the players around him made that happen" then the burden of proof to back that up is on you not the other way around. Edited by Proteus

Face it Hughes isn't worth the money he wants. The GM knows it...

You don't know what he wants and this is just another Whaley can do no wrong post. Plus let's all keep ignoring the fact the you can pays this guy's a bit more because we are not tying up any significant money in the QB position. Which I have explained before you won't have to worry about for 5-7 years.

Face it Hughes isn't worth the money he wants. The GM knows it...

Someone else will overpay for him and then we'll over pay for another team's player that they don't think is worth the money that he wants. The merry-go-round continues. Pay Hughes Money

This defense made Hughes stuff is pure garbage. It is just a lazy argument that people throw out there without having to say anything substantial to back up their opinion.

Ohhh K, I guess you'll just have to see the D without him then. Guarantee they have a better D this year and the Bills know the money could be spent better elsewhere.

Am I supposed to explain to you why 19 1/2 sacks over the last two years is significant. I'm sure you'll just say that is only because of his teammates. But if you go back and watch the games you will see there were plenty of plays Hughes made himself. He had more of an impact on the defense this year than Kyle Williams. Hughes dominated Joe Thomas one on one but let's give the credit for that to Mario. I know Hughes has been great the last two seasons and the numbers back me up. If you want to discredit those numbers with simpleton arguments like "the players around him made that happen" then the burden of proof to back that up is on you not the other way around.

First of all, it's 20 sacks, not 19-1/2.

Secondly, you're completely wrong about me, as I think Hughes is a very good player.

My point was simply that there's just as much evidence that Hughes is a product of playing alongside the best DL in football as there is to point to the idea that he's not. Case in point: he did virtually nothing in 2 seasons in Indy...those cannot be simply disregarded.

If it's your opinion that Hughes will produce just as readily when he's not the beneficiary of at least one (and often two) teammates taking double-teams, then that's fine. My opinion differs.

Lastly, this isn't a court of law, there's no burden on anyone to prove something that cannot be definitively proven for, say, another 9 months.

Ohhh K, I guess you'll just have to see the D without him then. Guarantee they have a better D this year and the Bills know the money could be spent better elsewhere.

So with your ohhh K you are basically saying the opinion that Jerry Hughes is not just a product of his teammates is should not be taken seriously? It's getting a little old when people respond with things like lol and ohhh k. All that is is an attempt to discredit the poster who you disagree with, without providing any real substance.

Secondly, you're completely wrong about me, as I think Hughes is a very good player.

My point was simply that there's just as much evidence that Hughes is a product of playing alongside the best DL in football as there is to point to the idea that he's not. Case in point: he did virtually nothing in 2 seasons in Indy...those cannot be simply disregarded.

If it's your opinion that Hughes will produce just as readily when he's not the beneficiary of at least one (and often two) teammates taking double-teams, then that's fine. My opinion differs.

Lastly, this isn't a court of law, there's no burden on anyone to prove something that cannot be definitively proven for, say, another 9 months.

There is actually no evidence. If you want to post some clips where Hughes is making a play because those around are being double teamed please do so. Until you do that the only thing we can go on is the numbers. Also we are going to judge Hughes based off his first two seasons with Indy? Do I even need to explain why this is totally ridiculous?

Someone else will overpay for him and then we'll over pay for another team's player that they don't think is worth the money that he wants. The merry-go-round continues. Pay Hughes Money

Pay Hughes Money" HE isn't accepting the money they are trying to pay him...

You don't know what he wants and this is just another Whaley can do no wrong post. Plus let's all keep ignoring the fact the you can pays this guy's a bit more because we are not tying up any significant money in the QB position. Which I have explained before you won't have to worry about for 5-7 years.

He isn't accepting the money they are offering... Get it?

Whaley on Hughes, Feb. 19th:

"The way we have to play, were going to have to have a strong defense and be able to get after the quarterback, and run the ball," Whaley said Thursday. "So we can invest in that defensive line, because we dont have a large chunk of our salary cap eaten up by a marquee quarterback. So that affords us the ability to try to keep a Jerry Hughes, and pay him what hes worth."

Who is ignoring what?

Edited by YoloinOhio

There is actually no evidence. If you want to post some clips where Hughes is making a play because those around are being double teamed please do so. Until you do that the only thing we can go on is the numbers. Also we are going to judge Hughes based off his first two seasons with Indy? Do I even need to explain why this is totally ridiculous?

we could just as easily ask you to break down how many of his plays came when he was double teamed, or look at production based on various rotations.... but youll make a definitive statement and force us to back it up.

hughes is a good player, but likely benefits from his peers too. not crazy, is it?

Whaley on Hughes, Feb. 19th:

"The way we have to play, were going to have to have a strong defense and be able to get after the quarterback, and run the ball," Whaley said Thursday. "So we can invest in that defensive line, because we dont have a large chunk of our salary cap eaten up by a marquee quarterback. So that affords us the ability to try to keep a Jerry Hughes, and pay him what hes worth."

Who is ignoring what?

Everyone who says that is "too much".

Am I supposed to explain to you why 19 1/2 sacks over the last two years is significant. I'm sure you'll just say that is only because of his teammates. But if you go back and watch the games you will see there were plenty of plays Hughes made himself. He had more of an impact on the defense this year than Kyle Williams. Hughes dominated Joe Thomas one on one but let's give the credit for that to Mario. I know Hughes has been great the last two seasons and the numbers back me up. If you want to discredit those numbers with simpleton arguments like "the players around him made that happen" then the burden of proof to back that up is on you not the other way around.

20, not 19.5. The stats were corrected after the final game of the season.

we could just as easily ask you to break down how many of his plays came when he was double teamed, or look at production based on various rotations.... but youll make a definitive statement and force us to back it up.

hughes is a good player, but likely benefits from his peers too. not crazy, is it?

He had the #1 pressure/sack rate among all NFL pass rushers in 2013.

Then you can say the same thing about anyone else on that line. Plus the numbers do count for something. The stats back up my opinion. So unless someone had evidence that those numbers are skewed I really don't have to show anything.

He did nothing in Indy because he was playing behind Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, both of whom are borderline HOF players. I gather he didn't impress while there, but bear in mind that the Colts are the king at making horrible trades involving guys drafted in the first round.

He had the #1 pressure/sack rate among all NFL pass rushers in 2013.

he did - in a limited role, and with 3 great players next to him.

robert quinn for instance was right at that same number but a full time player and more of a focal point for that line. i think youd agree that despite being a tick lower, that youd likely rate him the better pass rusher? just an example.

im not trying to argue the guy is a mess, simply that hes performed very well in one of the most favorable roles possible for a DE in the nfl, and that HELPS, not that i could walk out there and do the same. what he would do as the #1 guy on a line may be a little bit different than what we have seen.

Then you can say the same thing about anyone else on that line. Plus the numbers do count for something. The stats back up my opinion. So unless someone had evidence that those numbers are skewed I really don't have to show anything.

none of us HAVE to show anything. if you want to persuade those that disagree, you would. if you dont care about doing that, you wont, and im not sure why youd keep at it at that point.

he did - in a limited role, and with 3 great players next to him.

robert quinn for instance was right at that same number but a full time player and more of a focal point for that line. i think youd agree that despite being a tick lower, that youd likely rate him the better pass rusher? just an example.

im not trying to argue the guy is a mess, simply that hes performed very well in one of the most favorable roles possible for a DE in the nfl, and that HELPS, not that i could walk out there and do the same. what he would do as the #1 guy on a line may be a little bit different than what we have seen.

none of us HAVE to show anything. if you want to persuade those that disagree, you would. if you dont care about doing that, you wont, and im not sure why youd keep at it at that point.

If you just want to completely disregard his stats then go ahead.

I'm still bitter that Whaley didn't re-sign Watkins three years from now. I mean, they used 2 1sts and a 4th to get him. How could he not get that done. Same old Bills.

Again let's just post something completely ridiculous to make the people criticizing a team that has not made the playoffs in 15 years seem loony.